Author Topic: Help...BATTERY ISSUES WITH MY 450  (Read 1044 times)

jew8201

• View Profile
Help...BATTERY ISSUES WITH MY 450
« on: September 10, 2017, 01:44:44 AM »
Any idea what could be causing my battery in my 450 to go dead after it sits? (Been sitting more than running lately)

Quick run down...my wiring for my winch got all buggered up. Killed the original battery. Got the wire mess for the winch taken care of. Put a brand new really nice battery from O'Reilly in. That was back first of August only really driven it once since then. Today the battery had to be charged. Doesn't make much sense to me. (And no I haven't kept the battery tender on it like I should. But that is going to change from now on it will be.) but it's been a month no more than a month an half since I got the winch wiring problem fixed at the dealer and put the new battery in. Last started and drove about three weeks ago an everything was fine. Started right up and ran like a top. Any ideas???

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: Help...BATTERY ISSUES WITH MY 450
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 03:11:31 AM »
Charge the battery. Leave the winch connected. Check the battery in 24 hours for voltage loss. Charge the battery again. Disconnect the winch. Check again for voltage loss. Electrical issues are the worst. They take a lot of trial and error for us shade tree mechanics.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

jew8201

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 03:33:27 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I will try that. There's only about two things on the machine that could be draining the battery. 1 the winch itself or 2 the wireless remote transmitter for the winch. That's the only electrical accessories on the machine.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 12:02:54 PM »
Its a process of elimination. I hope you get it worked out.  :)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 03:30:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I will try that. There's only about two things on the machine that could be draining the battery. 1 the winch itself or 2 the wireless remote transmitter for the winch. That's the only electrical accessories on the machine.

If the battery is good (yes even new ones can be bad) then I would look at the remote transmitter for the winch. Easy enough to put a switch on there so it only operates when you need it. Your experience is why I prefer to do my own repairs and electrical wiring. Disconnect the battery and check it every couple days with volt meter and see if it holds it's own or take it to a battery shop for a load test, if battery checks Ok then look at the new wiring....that remote sounds suspicious..

kickstart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 05:22:35 PM »
As has been said before the only way to really check a battery is to have it load tested, a volt meter is good but will not show a dead cell.
I keep a battery tender on all my batteries, small -  bike, utv, mowers 1 hr a day, 2 hrs a day on large batteries. Use a HD 15 amp timer.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()