Author Topic: Protection from wind on legs and hands??  (Read 2967 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Re: Protection from wind on legs and hands??
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 12:11:13 PM »
I'm curious, how easy is it to store a rain apron under the seat? Or do you just keep it on the bike, even when it's parked?

- Wolf

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 12:30:00 PM »
I just took delivery of my leg protector today.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DryBoy-Vespa-and-Scooter-Waterproof-Leg-Cover-/152692969041?hash=item238d35ce51:g:zeUAAOSw2gxY3DCT

You just tie it around the waist using the velcro strap and then hook it around the inside of the fuel filler flap (that's the theory any way - if that doesn't work, I may have to think of something else).

It's only really for short journeys and probably only showerproof, but it'll do me. This morning though, it was hoofing it down with rain and the only thing that keeps you dry in the height if a Scottish summer is a decent pair of waterproof trousers (which I also keep under the seat)

ScooterWolf:

I'm curious, how easy is it to store a rain apron under the seat? Or do you just keep it on the bike, even when it's parked?

Mine came in a little bag of the same material as the apron. It's squishy and fits neatly into the forward helmet helmet compartment.

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
on the subject of Frogg Toggs
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 02:06:02 PM »
I have used them for years and really like them. They are water proof and block the wind very good.
I like to take my dog for walks on rainy days at the park. When it is raining, we have the park to ourselves. I wear something warm underneath and the Toggs over the top.
If you shop around, you can find a suit, top and bottom for about $40. US.
Frogg Toggs come in light and heavier weights. I like the light weight ones. They block the wind and rain and fold up easy.
Currently, I have a two piece suit, "light weight", and a "heavier weight" jacket.
I love Frogg Toggs. They don`t make you sweat like some rain suits.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Nireen

• View Profile
Re: on the subject of Frogg Toggs
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2017, 10:06:46 AM »
https://fortnine.ca/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=Toggs+rainsuit

I have used them for years and really like them. They are water proof and block the wind very good.
I like to take my dog for walks on rainy days at the park. When it is raining, we have the park to ourselves. I wear something warm underneath and the Toggs over the top.
If you shop around, you can find a suit, top and bottom for about $40. US.
Frogg Toggs come in light and heavier weights. I like the light weight ones. They block the wind and rain and fold up easy.
Currently, I have a two piece suit, "light weight", and a "heavier weight" jacket.
I love Frogg Toggs. They don`t make you sweat like some rain suits.
Kat :)

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 01:07:24 AM »

reading the add. from scooter under-ground about the knee cover,  it is for in town riding as it blows around at speed  so if your on the highway wet togs suit it is ,

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 05:32:25 AM »
Yeah I agree with ya.  I just got in my Nelson Riggs boot covers!  I think this is all I need. I usually only am uncomfortable at the bottom of my legs where the wind gets in around the boot.  This should do it!

reading the add. from scooter under-ground about the knee cover,  it is for in town riding as it blows around at speed  so if your on the highway wet togs suit it is ,
Kat :)

DiscoPotato

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2017, 08:21:10 AM »
I know you can buy those mits you put over the handles but I would like some kind of guard.  I have heated grips which helps amazingly but still a wind shield would be awesome I would think.  Also for the bottom part of my legs that to gets alot of wind.  Any ideas!?

Hey Kat, I had a post here somewhere showing my set up. The Termoscud is the best option in my opinion to keep your legs warm and dry, forget getting special motorcycle pants! After a while you will not like putting them on and taking them off when you get to/leave your destination. With the Termoscud and hand guards you can wear your regular riding jacket, gloves, and helmet and be covered all year long. The hand guard I use is called Barkbuster's Blizzard hand guards, they keep the wind and rain off of my hands and make the heated grips work that much better. This combo has worked so well to keep me comfy that I ended up selling my car :)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 10:32:42 AM »

Boo,
One question : Does pooch get to vote on these walks in the rain?!
:-)
Yep, I like my FroggToggs, too.
My pup and I have matching sweaters for our daily walks....
So far this hasn't impressed any young female joggers....not that Lilly would ever let me near one.
Stig
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:35:58 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 03:10:22 PM »
Just what I need Snorvey. Since I already have my grill on board, with this apron, all I will need is the burgers and a flipper. How cool..........
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 03:18:50 PM »
Big.....Mac!

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 02:23:47 AM »
Does anyone know if there is anything like a heated jump suit that would not overload a bike's electrical system? My beamer had heated grips, and heated seats. They were nice, but didn't do much for the rest of the body, but a heated suit with a quick disconnect might do the trick,hey
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2017, 06:56:46 AM »
I've always thought that there must be something you could do with the waste heat from the engine to warm the rider in the coldest months

Maybe it'll be my Dragon's Den moment!

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 07:37:22 AM »
Weeellll Snorvy,

The most effective one I've seen to date I can't find the pic of anymore it appears to have been censored by some toad, but take it with some imagination and a grain of sale.
It was on a burgman 400, a fellah had run a snorkle from the center hump to his crotch area.  I'm honestly not sure if he was using the engine waste heat directly or had setup a radiator system setup to push the heat further forward.  I vaguely recall there was some plumbing under the hump as well.
Whereas his system was a bit pointed, if you combined something like that with a scooter skirt of some kind and a more general airway than his rather specific one (I have no doubt his worked.) you might well have something.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 08:16:34 AM »
Weeellll Snorvy,

The most effective one I've seen to date I can't find the pic of anymore it appears to have been censored by some toad, but take it with some imagination and a grain of sale.
It was on a burgman 400, a fellah had run a snorkle from the center hump to his crotch area.  I'm honestly not sure if he was using the engine waste heat directly or had setup a radiator system setup to push the heat further forward.  I vaguely recall there was some plumbing under the hump as well.
Whereas his system was a bit pointed, if you combined something like that with a scooter skirt of some kind and a more general airway than his rather specific one (I have no doubt his worked.) you might well have something.

I better get myself down to the patent office!

Scavenging the waste heat directly would be the most simple way of course, but I had seen ideas (on a car) that used the waste heat from the exhaust to drive a Stirling Engine. The electricity from that powered the air conditioning inside the vehicle.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 04:33:07 PM »
That's all the heat the VW had in it's early years. I read once, some years ago about a concept somebody was working on, that involved a jump suit that had a web of tubes thru-out with a substance that reacted to hot water . Had a quick release connector down on the right leg that attached to an outlet in the engine water jacket. The hot water did not circulate thru the suit, but caused what ever was in the tubes to heat. Something like how fiber optics works. It was on a Gold Wing site. Never heard anymore about it, so I guess it didn't work>>I guess, blocking as much wind, as you can and layering up is the only way to go??
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()