Author Topic: High Temperatures Issues  (Read 2161 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: High Temperatures Issues
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 10:45:09 PM »
Check the head and cylinder top for flat and get them shaved if not. Especially the head.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 02:20:07 AM »
Hi agilebda. Seems that you are pretty meticulous in your effort to do the job right, so here's a couple of other things you might want to do. I would suggest you de-carbonize the head. Open the valves and clean the seats good, with a product such as C4  or other de-carbonizing agent. No scraping. If the engine has been run hot, even for a short time, you might want to check the head for warping. This can be done by finding a known 100% level surface, large enough to tack, tape or staple a sheet of 1000 grit water rub down on it. Lay your head down on it with chamber dome down and with light pressure, make a oblong circle three or four times. Then wipe the mating surface off good and inspect it thoroughly. I use a lamp with a magnifying lens attached. The swirl marks should cover the entire surface. If an area is found with no swirls, then you have a warped head. (very old school, but it works every time.) While you are doing this inspection, also look for hair line cracks or any etching. Anti-freeze and hot exhaust gasses both can destroy a head, especially aluminum. Chances are more than good that you will have none of these conditions, but it only cost a few minutes to make sure. Good luck and keep us posted.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 12:08:20 PM »
Check the head and cylinder top for flat and get them shaved if not. Especially the head.

Thanks Karl.

Karl

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 12:11:05 PM »
Hi agilebda. Seems that you are pretty meticulous in your effort to do the job right, so here's a couple of other things you might want to do. I would suggest you de-carbonize the head. Open the valves and clean the seats good, with a product such as C4  or other de-carbonizing agent. No scraping. If the engine has been run hot, even for a short time, you might want to check the head for warping. This can be done by finding a known 100% level surface, large enough to tack, tape or staple a sheet of 1000 grit water rub down on it. Lay your head down on it with chamber dome down and with light pressure, make a oblong circle three or four times. Then wipe the mating surface off good and inspect it thoroughly. I use a lamp with a magnifying lens attached. The swirl marks should cover the entire surface. If an area is found with no swirls, then you have a warped head. (very old school, but it works every time.) While you are doing this inspection, also look for hair line cracks or any etching. Anti-freeze and hot exhaust gasses both can destroy a head, especially aluminum. Chances are more than good that you will have none of these conditions, but it only cost a few minutes to make sure. Good luck and keep us posted.

Ole Two Wheels.

Many thanks for this. Seems as if my job got bigger in order for the best fix.
I decided to take to a well know top mechanic locally.
Thanks and I will keep posted.

Regards

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 12:12:50 PM »
Hey CROSSBOLT,
I wonder if I can purchase a DT 350 cylinder, head, and piston to put on my motor..........sounds interesting being that it's the same crank stroke.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 06:59:28 PM »
I would not think the EMI filter would be present in a non-ABS bike. I am guessing it would be near the fan motor or at least up front.

Karl
    the parts supplyer lists the relay as a filter could it be in with the relay,   just looked it up  #39100lea7-e00  EMI FILTER FAN MOTOR RELAY
$ 32.23 FROM POWERSPORTSWAREHOUSE.COM
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:03:43 PM by de dee »

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2017, 07:17:12 PM »
Happy Holidays to everyone.

Finally found the problem. It was a slight crack in the coolant hose which was introducing air into the system. It was restricting the flow of coolant across the fan switch, which in turn not allowing the fan to kick in.
Thanks for everything guys.
Peace Love and happiness to all of you on this holiday.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()