Author Topic: How Crucial is xciting500 4k Service timing?  (Read 1617 times)

ClayMation

• View Profile
How Crucial is xciting500 4k Service timing?
« on: September 02, 2017, 07:17:02 AM »
Hey Guys,

Long Story short, I may have to wait till my xciting500 has almost 5k miles to get the 4k service done, due to financial reasons (just started a new Job, pay cycle is complicated, etc.).

Now, I corresponded with MJR a couple times and I have been meaning to get out there to visit him (which I still plan to do) but because i'm working as a full time manager it's hard to plan that.

What if I do one aspect of the 4k service a week at a time, travel out to do it with MJR, would it definitely be better than nothing, or would it better to get it all done at the same time?

Lastly, from the research i've done and what i've seen in the service manual the following is what needs to be taken care of at the apparent 4k mark.

Oil Filter change
Air cleaner inspection clean or replacement
Crank case breather inspection
Oil strainer screen check/clean
belt diameter inspection.

Did I miss anything?

If I could do all of these one at a time, in which priority order should they be done? berts services are so cost prohibitive that it's making it feel like it's more expensive to have a bike than a car. So the logical thing to do is get out to visit MJR and allow him to teach me these things one at a time and save berts for only Major work like getting the tires changed and such.

Please give opinions on priority order of 4k service items and how crucial it is and what I might be doing to the bike by getting it done late-ish.

The guys at berts say it's "absolutely crucial". Okay but how 'crucial'?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 07:18:52 AM by ClayMation »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: How Crucial is xciting500 4k Service timing?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 01:57:50 PM »
Valve clearances should be at or near top of list if it has not been done yet.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ClayMation

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 12:34:28 PM »
Valve clearances should be at or near top of list if it has not been done yet.

Karl

Can you go into more detail on that one please?

I actually talked with an honest serviceman and he said it's every 4000 miles and since my first service was at or just prior to the 1000 mile mark that getting the next one done at 5k or thereabouts is just fine.

But I was wondering how many Xciting 500 owners take it into their own hands or how much variation they have between suggested service times and when they actually get them done.

willembop

• View Profile
Re: How Crucial is xciting 500 4k Service timing?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 01:12:37 PM »
As a retired engineer, I can tell you that the factory service intervals for most equipment are set rather conservatively in order to protect against worst-case problems. You can generally get away with extending those intervals with no ill effects (and here's the catch) but not always. So if you go beyond the recommended service intervals, you are betting that you will be lucky. As a general rule, we allowed 10 percent variance automatically (so a 4000 mile check was fine up to 4400 miles), and in extenuating circumstances, 20 percent was viewed as acceptable (up to 4800 miles). A lot also depends on how you're using it. The factory intervals are for normal treatment. Harder usage would suggest shortened intervals. So as the saying goes, "Your mileage may vary."

ClayMation

• View Profile
Re: How Crucial is xciting 500 4k Service timing?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 03:01:26 AM »
As a retired engineer, I can tell you that the factory service intervals for most equipment are set rather conservatively in order to protect against worst-case problems. You can generally get away with extending those intervals with no ill effects (and here's the catch) but not always. So if you go beyond the recommended service intervals, you are betting that you will be lucky. As a general rule, we allowed 10 percent variance automatically (so a 4000 mile check was fine up to 4400 miles), and in extenuating circumstances, 20 percent was viewed as acceptable (up to 4800 miles). A lot also depends on how you're using it. The factory intervals are for normal treatment. Harder usage would suggest shortened intervals. So as the saying goes, "Your mileage may vary."

What constitutes harder usage? I heard have this before but am at a loss as to the meaning.

gwdoiron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 03:06:40 AM »
Harder usage can mean any of the following:
* Towing loads with the vehicle
* Normal driving conditions, but operating near the weight limits.
* Driving in hostile environments (across sand/dirt roads, or parking near a body of water, ESPECIALLY a saltwater body such as the ocean)
* Beating the crap out of the engine
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 03:08:44 AM by gwdoiron »

mrjlube

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 11:19:36 PM »
My owners manual states that valves are not due for inspection until 16,000 miles. At 4,000 miles that belt is most likely like new,as mine was. Id change the oil/filter,gear oil,and air filter. Dont sweat the others. You can wait a while.

sissymary

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 10:23:46 AM »
My original belt lasted over 30'000 miles. I put in a K&N style air filter and have never checked it again. I change my own oil and use mobile 1 15/50 synthetic oil only. I do this once a year in the spring time so that the oil is new just before it get's real hot here in arizona. Use only original parts when doing anything with the belt or the CVT may explode your belt in the middle of know where due to heat build up, very quickly that is. STAY STOCK! I have not done a valve adjustment for the last 60'000 miles or so. The bike is starting to start with more difficulty, so I know it is over due for an adjustment. These things are built like tanks.  :-*

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()