Author Topic: Hard start?  (Read 3498 times)

jdub0813

• View Profile
Hard start?
« on: August 31, 2017, 04:39:15 PM »
450/700 riders...

Has anyone had issues with starting?  I notice ever since I have had mine it doesn't fire up right away when it's cold.  I turn the key and wait for the EFI to kick off then turn the key to start and it tries to fire but doesn't right away.  Usually I will let off then turn it again then it will start.

Wondering if anyone has had this issue or know what might be causing it?  Maybe fuel filter or something with the EFI?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Hard start?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 08:20:05 PM »
Opinion: Kymco start systems are so marginal that when the temp drops the load of the starter slows crank speed and lowers effectiveness of the spark as well as the temp-pressure compensation from the ECU. Hard starts are common in the 500 and 700 cc scoots, too. Not so much in the 300 EFI models.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 08:22:07 PM »
Ahh okay, I appreciate the feedback.. Wasn't sure if it was something I should be worrying about, maybe the fuel pump going back.  But that makes me worry a little less.  I mean after a few seconds of turning it over it fires right up and when it's warm it starts immediately.  Thank you.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 08:26:54 PM »
Opinion: Kymco start systems are so marginal that when the temp drops the load of the starter slows crank speed and lowers effectiveness of the spark as well as the temp-pressure compensation from the ECU. Hard starts are common in the 500 and 700 cc scoots, too. Not so much in the 300 EFI models.

Karl

???? my 450i has always started nearly immediately, even in the coldest weather (down to zero °f or below)
RandyO
IBA#9560

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 08:35:24 PM »
My sxs UVX500i will roll up on compression and stop, Randy. I let it roll back and hit it again with the starter which rolls past TDC. Once past that first stops it spins and starts. More finesse needed in really cold weather. Guess we gotta move the "marginal" up past the 450i!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Macman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 07:47:48 PM »
450/700 riders...

Has anyone had issues with starting?  I notice ever since I have had mine it doesn't fire up right away when it's cold.  I turn the key and wait for the EFI to kick off then turn the key to start and it tries to fire but doesn't right away.  Usually I will let off then turn it again then it will start.

Wondering if anyone has had this issue or know what might be causing it?  Maybe fuel filter or something with the EFI?

Is the battery good?  Sounds like nothing to worry about, if it's cranking slow get a new / better battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 12:06:10 PM »
Battery is good, not slow cranking by any means.  Thinking it's just another little thing about the Kymco is all.  I tried some injector cleaner and sea foam but haven't really noticed a difference.  Maybe fuel pump is going or the fuel filter needs to be changed, or like I said just a Kymco thing.

poorboy1964

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 02:05:32 PM »
Battery is good, not slow cranking by any means.  Thinking it's just another little thing about the Kymco is all.  I tried some injector cleaner and sea foam but haven't really noticed a difference.  Maybe fuel pump is going or the fuel filter needs to be changed, or like I said just a Kymco thing.

Check fuel line make sure it's not pinched anywhere I had this problem it had popped out of a clip and the seat was pinching it off partially

mtbrbike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 05:59:30 PM »
Hello,

I have a 2015 UXV 700 and it has always been super hard to start in the cold.   I replaced the batter this spring and hope this will help but the starter is now going on it.  Is there a part number (cross reference with another brand) for this  UTV? 

Also it now does not start in gear so I am assuming it can be blown fuse which I will start with. 

Thanks

Macman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 07:54:53 PM »
Hello,

I have a 2015 UXV 700 and it has always been super hard to start in the cold.   I replaced the batter this spring and hope this will help but the starter is now going on it.  Is there a part number (cross reference with another brand) for this  UTV? 

Also it now does not start in gear so I am assuming it can be blown fuse which I will start with. 

Thanks

Not starting in gear could be related to the brake switch.  If it's not seeing that the brake is applied it won't try and start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()