Author Topic: Clutch nut spinning won't come off.  (Read 940 times)

xsel777

• View Profile
Clutch nut spinning won't come off.
« on: August 31, 2017, 06:20:30 AM »
My xciting 500 RI is in the shop for a head gasket.
But the lady who answered the phone there when I called to check on progress said the mechanic said the clutch nut is spinning and won't come off.
I have the assembly and disassembly totally sorted  and can do it in 10 min or less now, and I recently looked in the cvt and all was good.
One thing I can mention  is that there has been this loud chatter/rattle at very low speeds just above idle (when the engine is not too loud.) coming from the rear 
I thought it was the springs on the  brakes, that hold the pads in place, as I changed the pads.

Since the mechanic is indicating an issue in cvt, here is a possibility.
About a year ago i went to an engineering company to help me change out the clutch spring, there is a very very big nut holding the whole assembly together. If that came loose a bit, would the clutch still work, but the outer nut would spin(maybe the whole shaft is moving with the tight nut.)

What are your thoughts on this strange situation?

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:30:35 AM by xsel777 »
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch nut spinning won't come off.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 09:32:03 PM »
My xciting 500 RI is in the shop for a head gasket.
But the lady who answered the phone there when I called to check on progress said the mechanic said the clutch nut is spinning and won't come off.
I have the assembly and disassembly totally sorted  and can do it in 10 min or less now, and I recently looked in the cvt and all was good.
One thing I can mention  is that there has been this loud chatter/rattle at very low speeds just above idle (when the engine is not too loud.) coming from the rear 
I thought it was the springs on the  brakes, that hold the pads in place, as I changed the pads.

Since the mechanic is indicating an issue in cvt, here is a possibility.
About a year ago i went to an engineering company to help me change out the clutch spring, there is a very very big nut holding the whole assembly together. If that came loose a bit, would the clutch still work, but the outer nut would spin(maybe the whole shaft is moving with the tight nut.)

What are your thoughts on this strange situation?

is it the nut that holds the clutch on the shaft,  or is it the big nut that holds the clutch together  if it is the small nut it is striped and it needs to be cut off,. if the shaft is striped you may need a new shaft, or re-thread it with a new nut

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 08:19:03 PM »
Update. It was the clutch shaft, thread stripped. It must be replaced. I got caught by a mobile thread company. I thought a heli coil could go on there, but they just cleaned it up, and said a heli coil is for a hole not a shaft. They only told me this after i complained about the dodgy job. But they took my money i left at the workshop, no problem with that... Anyways, live and learn hey?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 10:24:56 AM »
Update. It was the clutch shaft, thread stripped. It must be replaced. I got caught by a mobile thread company. I thought a heli coil could go on there, but they just cleaned it up, and said a heli coil is for a hole not a shaft. They only told me this after i complained about the dodgy job. But they took my money i left at the workshop, no problem with that... Anyways, live and learn hey?

Thread is stripped?
Was nut overtightened, or ?
What might have caused this?
Sorry for your troubles.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 10:39:26 AM »
Yep, the thread is stripped. I don't understand, as i believe the nut Is supposed  to be of softer material. I used to add an extra 10 nm using torque wrench, because i did not trust my low end wrench as i bought it used. Luckily  the shop has a used shaft, so that is a saving.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()