Author Topic: 450i Stuck in Gear  (Read 3753 times)

olemainer

• View Profile
450i Stuck in Gear
« on: August 26, 2017, 07:19:51 PM »
I have a 2016 450i UXV that I bought new last year and use it every day.  Yesterday I got off it to do something and when I returned it wouldn't start in Park- as in hit the key and nothing happens.  I put it in neutral and it started right up.  However, today it is stuck and wouldn't come out of park.  My neighbor got on it and was able to shift into Low but now it is stuck in Low.  Anyone else had a similar problem? 

airshot

• View Profile
Re: 450i Stuck in Gear
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 12:52:13 AM »
     Mine has stuck in gear many times due to a spring loaded shifting fork so the factory states. I typically give it a small push by hand or now give it just a slight amount of gas by touching the gas pedal slightly, just enough to rock the machine while moving the shifter. This overrides the spring on the shift fork, if this is your problem... many have posted issues with this and we learn to have the machine barely move when shifting gears to override the shift fork spring. Hopefully this is all you have and you learn to shift with slight movement like the rest of us have.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 10:06:06 AM »
you need to depress the footbrake for the starter to engage in all gear positions except neutral.....I forget that I have to step on the brake to start in park from time to time myself, my routine is to turn it off in neutral and use the parking brake

I find the shifter doesn't stick in neutral like it does in park
RandyO
IBA#9560

olemainer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 04:43:20 PM »
RandyO- I did have the foot break depressed when I tried to start it in park.  I've always started in park, which is what is so weird.  I use this machine every day and having it down is inconvenient, to say the least.

olemainer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 04:47:44 PM »
Thanks airshot- How do you get it out of the stuck gear when the vehicle isn't running?  I had noticed since day one that these things shift hard but this is the first time it's ever gotten stuck.  I am relieved to hear that there have been so many other people with this same issue.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 02:01:23 AM »
   The one weak link in the 450i is the notchy shifting.  Have a friend try pushing you back and forth, just a good rocking motion is all it takes, then use your shifter.  If that does not work then remove the seat and look just above the dip stick where the transmission linkage connects. There is a C clip holding the linkage to the shift arm coming out of the transmission, remove the C clip but be carefull they like to fly!!  Pull the linkage from the shift arm then try shifting the transmission by moving the arm itself.  This will also allow you to see if the shifter on the dash moves freely. Again a little rocking back and forth of the machine will help disengage the spring loaded shift fork. If you cant shift the arm at all then you might have internal transmission problems.
I had to disengage the linkage from the shift arm one day after some really hard riding at a stone quarry, had it stick in gear while shifting on a steep hill. Disconnecting the arm did allow me to unstick the shift mechanism inside by using the arm on the transmission, but still had to rock it back and forth to get it to release. If you get it unstuck, you may want to check your adjustment of the linkage while you have it disconnected. Let us know how things work out.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 02:04:09 AM »
RandyO- I did have the foot break depressed when I tried to start it in park.  I've always started in park, which is what is so weird.  I use this machine every day and having it down is inconvenient, to say the least.

I have found I have to depress the brake pedal hard to engage the starter, this took me some time to get used to. It failed to engage many times when new until I learned to push hard..as stated I use neutral whenever I remember or just leave it in gear so I don't have to shift.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 11:01:37 PM »
I feel that I have had to depress the brake harder than I used to.  what concerns me is that the starter relay may use the same switch that causes the brake lights to illuminate,  off road really isn't the issue as much as on the street, probably 90% of my miles, it's bad enuf I don't have turn signals and 99.95% of the motoring public has no clue what a hand signal is
RandyO
IBA#9560

Macman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 05:58:53 AM »
Most SxS regardless of brand can get bound up in gear, it is completely normal. Tap the gas lightly to get it out or rock the machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olemainer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »
Thanks to all who responded to my issue on my 450i.  I finally got a neighbor to help me rock it and it finally came out of gear.  The machine is now at the dealer to be fixed, as it still wouldn't start in gear or in park.  I love this little machine and use it every day.

Macman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 07:48:19 PM »
Thanks to all who responded to my issue on my 450i.  I finally got a neighbor to help me rock it and it finally came out of gear.  The machine is now at the dealer to be fixed, as it still wouldn't start in gear or in park.  I love this little machine and use it every day.

What's the update?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()