Author Topic: Just bought super 9 but Won't Start in the mornings well  (Read 1767 times)

gaaunapoi

• View Profile
Just bought super 9 but Won't Start in the mornings well
« on: August 22, 2017, 09:14:24 PM »
Hi all, first post here.

I just bought a Kymco Super 9 LC last week. the guy said that is had troubles starting in the morning and that using the kick start helped some. I have tried kick starting it and using the starter and they seem about the same.

It is currently getting down in the 60' F at night where I live and up to the 90's F during the day

Trouble is it starts but if you touch the throttle it dies. So I thought it must need to warm up, so the last two mornings I have pre warmed it for 10 min or so it seems fine, then it dies at the end of the block when I stop and I have to let it warm up again before I can use the throttle.

I could understand better if it was in the 30's F but it's not, it's still summer. Is this normal? What comes to mind as a potential cause?

I haven't had much time to go over it in depth, but where would be a good place to start?

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: Just bought super 9 but Won't Start in the mornings well
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 09:47:39 PM »
It really sounds like your carberatur needs cleaning. Partially clogged low idle jet. Thats a great place to start.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

gaaunapoi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »
Awesome, gave the carb a good clean and it worked pretty well this morning with no waiting! :) I also checked the spark plug whish was in good shape. It was showing lean which makes since.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 10:44:03 PM »
Way to go! To prevent this from happening in the future, put a little Seafoam cleaner in the fuel occasionally. Thanks for the update.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

gaaunapoi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 01:18:45 AM »
okay good to know, thanks

gaaunapoi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 03:14:47 PM »
Okay so it worked kind of. Every other morning since I cleaned it, I will start it and it starts right up then dies and won't start again. Any ideas?

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 12:40:50 AM »
I think carb not getting fuel, auto petcock is notorious for not working on these Kymco scooters.  Open the carb bowl drain screw and fuel should run out after you have kicked it over a few times.  You can replace the auto petcock or replace it with a manual fuel valve.  I installed aftermarket pod airfilter and choked the carb by wrapping a plastic grocery bag around it to pull an extra vacuum to get the fuel flowing, works every time for me.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()