Author Topic: Intermittent starting issues  (Read 668 times)

rich2302

• View Profile
Intermittent starting issues
« on: August 16, 2017, 04:29:22 PM »
Dear All,

My niece has a Kymco Agility 50cc from 2006 and it’s suffering from intermittent starting issues.  I went and collected the bike yesterday and on taking the carb apart to clean it, found it to be absolutely butchered inside, I eventually managed to get the bike started and rode it up and down the road and it seemed okay, but was spluttering a little.  So I ordered a replacement carb, new plug and some oil from Scooter works and they arrived today, so I went about fitting them.

So this is the position I’m in:

•   I’ve set the valve clearances to .04mm for both IN and EX
o   I did this yesterday, so the bike has been running like this
•   Fitted the new carb, the mixture screw was set to 3 turns out
o   Connected the throttle cable, auto choke electrical connection, fuel line and lower vacuum hose
•   Fitted a new plug, gapped to 0.6mm
•   The battery is showing 13.3 volts at rest

Tried to start the bike, it spins over fine, but wouldn’t fire.  I assumed this was because of the 3 turns out on the mixture screw, so I set it to 1.5 turns out and then changed the fork seals, speedo cable and rear indicator (as these jobs all needed doing).

I then tried to start the bike again and it fired straight up, so I left it running to warm the oil before getting ready to change it.  Once warm, I turned it back off, changed the oil and went to start it up again and nothing, it spins over, but just won’t fire.
So this is where I’m now stuck, should I go ahead and order a stator, CDI and plug lead/coil and hope that those resolve the issue, or do you have any other ideas of what this could be?

My niece has just started working at the local hospital and this is her only transport, do I’m desperate to get it sorted for her, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: Intermittent starting issues
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 09:32:32 AM »
Hey Rich! Just to rule it out, did you check for vacuum leaks? To me it sounds electrical. Probably not the stator. Hopefully someone smarter than me (Karl) will post here and give some advice. I hope you get this sorted out soon and I really appreciate what you are doing for your niece.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

rich2302

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 01:04:20 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I think I tracked it down to the plug lead cap breaking down.  I have replaced the complete unit (cap, lead and coil) and also the cdi and we now have a bike that's starting every press of the key and a very happy niece.  The cdi I ordered is meant to have a better map for cold starting! Who knows, but it's certainly starting very well now.

Thanks again,

Rich

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 05:18:05 PM »
He got way ahead of me, quickly, Mr. Paul! Good going, Rich!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 08:47:21 PM »
Congrats Rich and thanks for the update!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()