Author Topic: Fuel over-fill into evap sytem= hard start  (Read 1227 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Fuel over-fill into evap sytem= hard start
« on: August 15, 2017, 01:44:33 AM »
My Piaggio has a fuel neck restriction thing added to the fill neck....this green thing.
Noticed my new lawn mower has the same thing.
Prevents me from watching the fuel level with a flashlight as I refuel - being careful not to have the fuel over flow.
But I also noticed this little tab down there - that lets me gently rest the gas pump nozzle tip on it as I fuel up.
I fill slowly and the auto-off stops me from overfilling. My owner's manual states that overfilling can let the gasoline into the evap. system - causing possible poor running ---and hard starting for certain.

EPA guys are staying a step ahead of me, again. (although I've never overfilled my LIKE200i in 4 years)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel over-fill into evap sytem= hard start
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 04:25:29 AM »
The Like had a fairly healthy distance from that crossbar to the vent line (I think) so ya had to be going full blast to screw up. That green thing would be a real bummer without that tab!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 05:49:10 AM »
Where there's a will, there's a way. Someone will find a way to fill that tank until the charcoal canister spills all over the pavement. 😂😂😂😂😂😂.
2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 10:44:37 AM »
Where there's a will, there's a way. Someone will find a way to fill that tank until the charcoal canister spills all over the pavement. 😂😂😂😂😂😂.
I was going to try to pull that green thing out....
but with my luck it's glued in there with some kinda secret pasta sauce -- and I'd  end up breaking off the neck of the gas tank.
Have to use sandwich wrap and a rubber band to keep most of the SHELL Super Nitro off of my Moon Pies.
Best leave things alone...until I figure out the specs for the valves. Phoned Piaggio America yesterday....got routed to the tech guy...he's  troubled by the discrepancy I  found. Supposed to get back to me. Speaks pretty good English...for a New Yorker...
Stig
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 10:46:43 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 01:41:05 PM »
A couple of the Vespa 250 scooters that we use at work have those neck restrictions pieces as well.  I believe they are used so only the thinner unleaded nozzle will fit in.  Maybe there have been a few problems with people using the wrong types of fuel. 

Paul

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 09:42:38 PM »
A couple of the Vespa 250 scooters that we use at work have those neck restrictions pieces as well.  I believe they are used so only the thinner unleaded nozzle will fit in.  Maybe there have been a few problems with people using the wrong types of fuel. 

Paul
  what!! is this green handle diesel ????   

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 10:19:43 PM »
I only fill the tank to the top when I keep on riding for miles again,,  my piaggio 350i sport is a wonder on the highway,.  4 days old and 1200 miles all ready, did a trip to Manchester NH.  and back to Ottawa On. Canada., 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 10:25:58 PM »
I only fill the tank to the top when I keep on riding for miles again,,  my piaggio 350i sport is a wonder on the highway,.  4 days old and 1200 miles all ready, did a trip to Manchester NH.  and back to Ottawa On. Canada., 

Oh, that's a lovely scooter - the BV350i....!
Pictures please - and keep the rider reports coming.
Thanks, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 10:56:07 PM »
  what!! is this green handle diesel ????   

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in explaining what I meant.  They restrictors are there simply to ensure someone does not use the wrong nozzle and it will fit only an unleaded nozzle.  This restrictors in the Vespas that I mentioned were black so color means nothing.  They may be for some countries that have rules that all unleaded vehicles have fuel restrictors like ours does with cars but I don't think it is yet compulsory with motorbikes/scooters/lawnmowers, etc. 

Here is a quote from a guide on importing vehicles.

If the originally certified configuration required unleaded fuel, then the vehicles must have fuel filler neck restrictors and unleaded fuel labels which meet the requirements of 40 CFR 80.24.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:42:44 PM by PaulF »

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 11:17:17 PM »

There is a BV350i at our local Kymco dealer and it looks great and after sitting on it  I really loved the seat.  I, like Stig, would enjoy hearing more on it please.
Sadly, the BV350i and also a Medley 150i that is in the shop have been sitting there for over a year whilst he sells other scooters very quickly.  Not sure why they aren't selling but maybe cause they are in the higher price market and at that price most people may prefer motorbikes.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()