Author Topic: More power / uphill ??  (Read 1220 times)

Hawkeye

• View Profile
More power / uphill ??
« on: August 29, 2017, 11:11:22 AM »
I've been reading all these posts on here, and I'm not a mechanic by any means, but on my Super8 50X, I have managed to cut the pink wire on the CDI box which gave me higher top speed (37 downhill). This morning in a desperate attempt I did manage to get the carburator separated on the left hand side (front) and dug around and found a metal washer about the size everyone's been saying, so I took that out and put the carburetor back on. I took it out for a small test drive, couldn't really find any good hills and I have to be at work today, but I didn't seem to have that much more power. Still going 25, creeping up to 30 on flat road. Does this sound right? Did I get the right washer out or am I just removing random parts?
The uphill problem seems to be getting worse and worse. Like I said, I was desperate this morning after backing up traffic at 5mph uphill on the way to work, any worse and I'll have to push it! Am I putting the wrong gas in? I'm just using regular. What do I need to do, or tell a mechanic to do?

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
Re: More power / uphill ??
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 01:08:24 PM »
First off you need to use "Super" gas.  91 Octane and up.  I have the 50R version of this and I am getting up 37mph on flats and this morning I got 42mph on a downhill.
You did find the right washer by the way.  I too have taken that out. 

The other thing you need to do though is install the smooth boss in your variator and the 82 main jet in your carburetor. 
I purchased my scooter new and it came with these uninstalled.  Made a huge difference in top end and power.

Hope this helps
2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK
Polini Hi-Speed with stock boss and 6.5gr rollers
Naruko 1000RPM White Spring
Technigas Silent Pro Exhaust
3 x 1" Air Filter additions to Air Box

Hawkeye

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »
Yes, thanks! I will definitely switch gas. And get a mechanic to put in those parts. Is there anything I need to do to clean out the fuel system since I've been using regular gas (that doesn't involve taking anything apart)?

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 05:32:06 PM »
You will be fine after the higher octane gets in there.  We have Super (91) and Ultra (94) here in Canada.  I use the Ultra whenever available. 
2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK
Polini Hi-Speed with stock boss and 6.5gr rollers
Naruko 1000RPM White Spring
Technigas Silent Pro Exhaust
3 x 1" Air Filter additions to Air Box

Hawkeye

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 02:21:21 PM »
I can usually get 93 Octane. Does it matter if it has Ethanol?

Hawkeye

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 03:17:23 PM »
I looked on Kymcopartsmonster.com and looks like i can find the 82 main jet. Still not sure what that is, if it's the needle in the carburetor or another part of it. Couldnt find the smooth boss for the variator at all, so i called the number for the parts and service people there and theyve never heard of anything like that, also saying they dont supply aftermarket parts for kymco and dont know who does.
I hear Westside Scooters here in Asheville, NC does really good work. Hopefully the mechanic there knows how to get these parts and can just take care of the ordering and installation. Honestly, I don't know what a smooth boss or a variator are, so I hope I don't sound like an idiot going in and asking for one. :(

Hawkeye

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 03:22:28 PM »
Also, any suggestions on improving exhaust, while I'm at it?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()