Author Topic: Slipped out of gear after going through a puddle??  (Read 1059 times)

jdub0813

• View Profile
Slipped out of gear after going through a puddle??
« on: August 09, 2017, 01:06:38 PM »
Hey guys,

So I took my 700i up to Mio for the weekend and did some riding.  Before I go into my problem/situation that happened, I would like to say the Kymco performed very well.  Happy with my purchase and I was ripping up dunes and trail riding all day.

But, the only problem I ran into was that I went through a puddle with it and when I slowed down to a stop sign I realized it had slipped out of gear. I hit the gas and it would only Rev up like it was in neutral.  I put it in reverse which worked then back in H and I was back on the trails no problem.

It was a slight scare but that was all.  Wondering if anyone has experienced this problem or maybe knows the cause to this and should I worry?

poorboy1964

• View Profile
Re: Slipped out of gear after going through a puddle??
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 01:31:57 PM »
hopefully it's just an adjustment on the linkage, possibly not quite locked in all the way???

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 01:41:16 PM »
Hmm I will have to look into that.  I've never worked on linkage before so might have to have someone over who has to help me.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 03:41:55 PM »
    The shifter linkage on these machine are the weak point. The shift fork is a spring loaded fork to hold it in gear after it is properly in the correct gear. If it is not all the way in gear it can pop out, so the spring can also work against us. Going thru the puddle had no bearing on your issue, just was not fully into gear when you started out in all probability. I have had this same issue and spoke with the factory service tech who explained all this stuff to me. What I have learned to do as well as many others, is to put it into gear, then slightly tap the gas peddle while wiggling the shifter to be sure it goes fully into gear and the shift fork engages properly. With a little practice it becomes second nature when ever you shift. The long linkage in these has enough play that sometimes it is not fully into the proper shift position, even though you think it is. As far as adjusting your linkage, you need to remove the "C" clip where it attaches to the link on the engine (transmission) and pull the shift linkage off and then the shifter on the transmission can be shifted manually by the arm. The shift lights on your dash are controlled inside the transmission so you will easily see which gear you are into. Move into reverse and adjust the linkage trunion until the hole lines up to the arm pin, then move into low and recheck the hole in linkage to the pin on shift arm. In most cases some happy medium will be needed to get the best alignment from rev to low position, any minor error here is taken up by the spring loaded shift fork inside the transmission. Lock the nut on the trunion, slip the linkage back onto shift arm and replace the C clip. You may want to get a couple spare C clips as these little boogers have a tendency to disappear when you replace them.
Then remember to wiggle your shifter while giving it just a tiny bit of gas to be sure it falls all the way into gear!!  Glad your machine performed well for your ride.

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 03:48:50 PM »
Yeah I learned that trick quickly about jiggling the shifter and touching the gas, but I was in gear and riding for 30 minutes and as soon as I went into the puddle it then seemed like it was in neutral although it still said H.  So that's when I just put it in R and then back to H and I was all set.  Just made me worry a little that something with the trans happened or something that the water shooting up caused.  But yeah I enjoyed the ride and it performed pretty well for me.  I was riding with some big Kaw Mules.

poorboy1964

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 04:15:13 PM »
    The shifter linkage on these machine are the weak point. The shift fork is a spring loaded fork to hold it in gear after it is properly in the correct gear. If it is not all the way in gear it can pop out, so the spring can also work against us. Going thru the puddle had no bearing on your issue, just was not fully into gear when you started out in all probability. I have had this same issue and spoke with the factory service tech who explained all this stuff to me. What I have learned to do as well as many others, is to put it into gear, then slightly tap the gas peddle while wiggling the shifter to be sure it goes fully into gear and the shift fork engages properly. With a little practice it becomes second nature when ever you shift. The long linkage in these has enough play that sometimes it is not fully into the proper shift position, even though you think it is. As far as adjusting your linkage, you need to remove the "C" clip where it attaches to the link on the engine (transmission) and pull the shift linkage off and then the shifter on the transmission can be shifted manually by the arm. The shift lights on your dash are controlled inside the transmission so you will easily see which gear you are into. Move into reverse and adjust the linkage trunion until the hole lines up to the arm pin, then move into low and recheck the hole in linkage to the pin on shift arm. In most cases some happy medium will be needed to get the best alignment from rev to low position, any minor error here is taken up by the spring loaded shift fork inside the transmission. Lock the nut on the trunion, slip the linkage back onto shift arm and replace the C clip. You may want to get a couple spare C clips as these little boogers have a tendency to disappear when you replace them.
Then remember to wiggle your shifter while giving it just a tiny bit of gas to be sure it falls all the way into gear!!  Glad your machine performed well for your ride.

Very good explanation airshot thanks

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 12:39:18 AM »
    If your linkage is really out of adjustment it could be that the bump of going thru the puddle may have knocked it out of gear. The lights on the shifter does not mean the shifter is fully engaged, just the switch is contacted. When you make your shift linkage adjustment you will begin to see that the shift lights can be off a little when fully engaged. On my machine, when fully engaged in rev, the light does not come on at all. I had to make a small adjustment to equalize the distance between shift arm on tranny travel and actual linkage travel and strick a happy medium to get all the lights to work in there proper position.....thus the reason for wiggling the shifter and gas peddle to be sure it drops fully into the position.

2015uxv450

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 01:35:37 AM »
I had the same problem once coming out of a large puddle. Water got into the belt housing and made the drive belt slip. After a couple minutes it came out of it

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 11:49:28 AM »
Maybe that's what happened.  I thought I heard the sound of a belt slip.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 02:42:05 PM »
    If water did get into the belt, then you had to be in some deep water (18" or more) or you might want to check the case and be sure it is not leaking. I have seen where the gasket around the case cover was not properly installed and allowed water intrusion, you will generally see or even feel the gasket sticking out if you rin your fingers around the perimeter of the belt case cover. I stay clear of water deeper than the floor boards so I haven't had any water issues...yet!!

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 03:25:09 PM »
I will have to take a look thank you.  And it wasn't but maybe 6-8" deep tops, I was just going at a decent speed and shot water up everywhere lol.

Dayooper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 03:52:02 PM »

Huge help here - thank you airshot!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()