Author Topic: First Testride with the NEW Kymco Like 125i CBS :-)  (Read 1314 times)

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
First Testride with the NEW Kymco Like 125i CBS :-)
« on: August 08, 2017, 04:27:40 PM »
Folks,
today I rode by my Kymco dealer and stopped to ask if he has already the NEW Kymco Like. And YES he had.
Not only that, he also had a NEW Like 125i CBS already registered with a licence plate, ready to testride.  :D
He offered me instantly a testride for free for an hour or so, so I couldn´t resist as you might imagine.  8)

A brand new Kymco Like with 14km on its odometer. In white.
Also available colors are red and mat grey which is far better in reality than the mouse grey on some internet pictures. Really cool.
And so after a short instruction I took off for a little road test tour up into the (hollywood)hills of vienna.  8) ;)

I will post a testride report the next hours along with some weboptimized pictures and my experiences with dealers on my todays mystery shopping tour.
Similar to what Tom/Stig experienced during his shopping tour for the new Piaggio.  ;D

As a first teaser: It´s a definately fun to ride scooter.  8)

Entonces, hasta ahora amigos!
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

vespbretta

• View Profile
Re: First Testride with the NEW Kymco Like 125i CBS :-)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 05:33:10 PM »
Here are a few pictures:
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 05:35:00 PM »
the white one:
Cheers,
Robo

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 08:39:08 PM »
Great pictures. That's a good looking scooter. They really did a nice job of it. I hope someday in the near future Kymco comes out with a bigger sibling in the form of a 300cc or thereabouts. Look forward to reading reports of the ride quality and overall impression of the scooter.

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 11:12:45 PM »
Ok, here is my approx. 1h and 30km testride report in short:

Ergonomics is better, more space for legs and feet. Seat height is up significantly. Maybe also due to a much better seat and seat foam quality . With this seat you can ride for hours without pita I believe. Similar to Vespas now.
CBS Disk Brakes are very strong with a good dosage. Pulling only the rear brake lever activates rear and front brakes with 70% and 30%. Front brake lever only activates front brakes. Probably for a good reason.
LED Lights all around. Couldn´t test the brightness during my testride in the afternoon.
Suspension has improved noticeably, bumps are handled smoother and easier and softer. But the suspension is still on the sporty side. Still not comparable to a Vespa. I have tested the scooter on bumpy roads and hillside roads with some potholes, manholecovers, cobblestoneroads and so on.
The frame has been improved too and got stiffer. Especially an improvement on higher speeds and or bumpy roads. Not so much of a handle bar wobbling/shimmy.
Engine starts instantly and runs very quietly and smoothly with only some minor vibratons on idle and without any clutch chatter. Due to the Euro 4 Emission standards ,gear ratio (moderate rpm´s), and the higher dry weight of the scooter the engine seems to be a little bit lazy. Its for sure not a racing bike.  ;D
On take off the scooter is not so nippy as expected, it takes off moderately and pulls itsself constantly up to its top speed.
I couldnt test the top speed in town of course, but I assume the topspeed would be at 95kmh.
So imho the 125cc with 7.2kW seems a bit  on the weak side for the scooter. Therefore the 150cc model would for sure be the better choice.
But the 150cc wont be sold in many countries in Europe. Not even in Italy as I was told today.
Maybe in the Netherlands, maybe in France.
OEM Tires are still a total desaster. This time they use chinese Cheng Shing tires in 110-12 and 130-12. Unbalanced of course and with 90 degree angeled valve stems...
These tires are softer in compound, therefore probably wear much quicker than the Kendas, but will probably also have grip or at least more grip on wet roads.
In dry conditions they work good with lots of grip. But I don´t like the brand at all and I don´t like the thread pattern.
Underseat compartement is now big enough for a full integral helmet I guess. My jet helmet fitted in there very easily and with space left for other stuff. Also the battery can be found here.
Glove box as usual but with a glove box cover that seems pretty fragile at the hinges and the lock. All thin plastic. Not good for regular use I guess.
Top cases, mountings, crash bars and all other accessoires should be availae in September or so.
Odometer Display is good, reads pretty accurate speeds compared to  a gps app on my mobile. Maybe 5kmh off.
With 2 trip meters, a voltmeter and a temp. gauge.
The fueltank and filling neck with a fragile filler neck cover is down now and asks for some reorientation and adaption when filling up at a gas station. I thought it would be easier, but it wasn´t at first attempt. Had quiet a bit of a struggle with that heavy stiff pump hose and the pistol to maneuver it into that filling neck almost on the ground and without spilling the restfuel in the pistol directly onto the floorbord of the new scooter. Additionally you can´t see the filling level anymore.
I guess not parking too close to the filling pump might do the trick.

Price is also on the high side for what you get.

So what do I think about the new Like?
I am undecided. It´s for sure a pretty and nice overhouled scooter with some interesting improvements.
For newbies who like the classic italian Vespa scooter style probably a good choice.
Would I now instantly want to switch to the new model? Probably and most likely not.
So when I rode home from the dealer on my OLD Like, I felt very pleased and confident with what I have now and felt no hurry for a change. Especially when not having the chance to get a 150i with a bit more punch in near future.
So fun are both models to ride. New and old.  ;) :)

So maybe the best for me would be to invest just little money in a new seatcover and better seatfoam.  8)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 11:24:05 PM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 11:17:06 PM »
I won't buy a scooter that has the combined braking system such as the new Like and the Honda PCX 150 which I really like as well.  The PCX I believe hitting the back brake also applies 30% front brake with this system and that seems silly to me as you have no control over it.  Whilst it may be a system designed to help new riders the last thing I want if I have to hit the rear brake whilst cornering in the wet is for the front brake to be applied automatically. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 11:21:26 PM by PaulF »

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 11:27:15 PM »
I won't buy a scooter that has the combined braking system such as the new Like and the Honda PCX 150 which I really like as well.  The PCX I believe hitting the back brake also applies 30% front brake with this system and that seems silly to me as you have no control over it.  Whilst it may be a system designed to help new riders the last thing I want if I have to hit the rear brake whilst cornering in the wet is for the front brake to be applied automatically.

Well the trend is cbs on many smaller scooters and that's not going to change any time soon.
That said ya got two master cylinders and two discs. Splitting the system is simple.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 12:29:22 AM »
Thanks for the very nice report on the Like 125i. The 150i engine which will be available here in the US does have a couple of BHP more than the current Like 200i. I expect that the weakness in acceleration that you mentioned is helped by the extra engine capacity. I also am not a fan of linked braking. I road a Moto Guzzi some years back with that feature and found it annoying to get used to.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 12:37:35 AM »
Great job Robo !
Thanks for this "first" test/impressions from our membership!

CBS ....in Europe the mandatory for ABS is, what? A 150cc motor?
And CBS is the 125 range?

I've  no issue with CBS. My Forza had it and it never caused an issue..... or was even noticeable when it was in use. It just works. It's not an attempt to injure a rider.

My impression from your pix: I love the rear end treatment of the new LIKE; the side hips are pure Primavera; the blocky head stock and below are GTS bulky ....with the front view of the leg shield again trim & modestly "springtime". 
If you're going to sell a step though ...why not mimic the very most popular scooter of all time! At less than half the price.

(was reading the other day that even my new Liberty is only the latest iteration in an unbroken line of 900,000 predecessors.....!)

Very much looking forward to having a look and sit of the new LIKE 150i ABS, when it comes to my Ohio dealer. Reportedly will be a steal at $2600+/-
Thanks for your post, Robo!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 03:51:23 AM »
Well the trend is cbs on many smaller scooters and that's not going to change any time soon.
That said ya got two master cylinders and two discs. Splitting the system is simple.

AMAC
How do you split the system unless you remove or disable the CBS?  Would warranty or legal issues arise in the case of an accident.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 08:17:27 PM »
Great report Robo. Very informative.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()