Author Topic: Burgman is Hx & final 3-Nations Meeting  (Read 1052 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Burgman is Hx & final 3-Nations Meeting
« on: August 07, 2017, 10:05:31 PM »
Japan, Italy & China met in my driveway one final time today.
The Italians were late, which stressed the Japanese - and the Chinese were argumentative, as usual.
Stig had a Heineken and a Moon Pie and waited them out.

They all smiled for a photo shoot.

The Burgman was a little testy about being replaced by this little gal.

Then the truckers came, and we signed some papers and sent the 400 off to Oregon.

I rolled them out and fired up each one, took a video w/sound.
That Burgman is a sleek, well sorted, road running machine.  But, after two years, not right for Capt. Slow.

There he went...

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
Re: Burgman is Hx & final 3-Nations Meeting
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 10:46:04 PM »
Lots of good memories riding 2 up with Deb in Sedona, San Diego, Julian, CA.,  Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Pike National Forest Colorado, Golden Co., Highway of Legends, Trinidad Co., Big Bend Tx. Davis Mtns. Tx. I've put more miles on my B400  than any single bike I have ever owned. As the ultimate tourer though, my SW is King.

You sad to see it go Tom?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:49:17 PM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 11:18:35 PM »
The Burgman looks really good from the front view.  Good photos.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 01:56:46 AM »
Lots of good memories riding 2 up with Deb in Sedona, San Diego, Julian, CA.,  Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Pike National Forest Colorado, Golden Co., Highway of Legends, Trinidad Co., Big Bend Tx. Davis Mtns. Tx. I've put more miles on my B400  than any single bike I have ever owned. As the ultimate tourer though, my SW is King.

You sad to see it go Tom?

Yeah, some.
After 3 years of owning a scooter big enough to go further (1 yr w/the Forza & 2 w/the Burgman) - I never did.
Mrs. not interested - and can't see myself lighting out for the Bad Lands on a scooter and leaving the family behind. I've had children in the house since 1972....still do. (a teenager)
Did all my roaming prior to that.
I enjoy poking around in a 50 mile radius on back roads - and tinkering with the scooters. Never thought of the Forza or the Burgman as scooters I should be tinkering with. Plus they eat tires and have valves that are a pain to get to.
I always got flak for changing the oil too often on the Burg & Honda forums.
The Kymco is dead simple to work on....and getting ready to have fun with the little Piaggio.

Maybe I'm just an old air-cooled guy? I doubt that many have sent off a perfectly good, low mileage 400 Burgman for a 155cc  ??
I've applied Wax Shop, and started putting on that ACF-50. One smells good, the other doesn't.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 02:40:56 AM »
I hear ya on the touring part. Our best days with that are behind us...but fabulous memories.

Have an idea though about a new adventure mode for the Mrs., the mutt and I. After our recent road trip we realized how much we enjoy traveling and had let too many years lapse on seeing the grandkids out west. 2018 already is booked for a trip to Anaheim and my sister is getting married in Oregon too. And since we're going to be in the neighborhood, we'll see the grandkids again in SD, Portland and Utah.

But here's the cool part. Thinking about getting a pop-up cabover camper for my diesel truck and mount the Kymco on the front end to counterbalance the rear load and have access to my scooter. The cost of hotels for a month on the road is insane plus having to eat out every meal in a restaurant can eat up some serious cash. Also having a doggie is hard to find places with outside patios that are dog friendly. We're naturally campers and love the outdoors which one can't get staying in hotels. We also had to sneak Toby in the ones that said no pets. Reminded me of the days traveling with 5 kids and had the wee ones lay down on the seats when we pulled into a motel for the night so the manager couldn't see our brood. Haven't had Deb on the Kymco yet but I think for short jaunts with the pooch in a pet carrier mounted to a top box rack we'd be quite the scene. Anyway, looking at a new mode of traveling with Deb and Toby as we spend more time doing fun stuff together.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:52:11 AM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 02:31:01 PM »
.I doubt that many have sent off a perfectly good, low mileage 400 Burgman for a 155cc  ??...

You're far from the first I've heard downsizing to one level or the other.
Heck with the current shift keeping me off the bike during prime big run hours I've spent a lot more time on the HD, & earlier my S200 than I have on the burger this year.
Been debating just getting rid of it.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 04:31:47 PM »
Gosh, I thought surely it was being shipped to CA, to MJR to add to his collection.

(Don't get mad at me MJR, I'm just poking fun at you) I have to agree with Dan, the SW wins, hands down, as the #1 Maxi. You know Tom, most up size and it's good to see someone down sizing. It's all about what makes one happy. The Italian stallion IS a great looking scoot.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 07:30:48 PM »
China?

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. Hmmm.

I'm not sure the Taiwanese would be entirely pleased with that!

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 12:27:27 AM »
Gosh, I thought surely it was being shipped to CA, to MJR to add to his collection.

(Don't get mad at me MJR, I'm just poking fun at you)

While many like the 400 I'm partial to the 650, no worries I still have a list of a couple more to add at some point. :D

China? Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. Hmmm. I'm not sure the Taiwanese would be entirely pleased with that!

Must be sticking to the one China policy.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 12:59:28 AM »
China?

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. Hmmm.

I'm not sure the Taiwanese would be entirely pleased with that!

First thing we new LIKE200i owner's do is pull off that "Made In China" sticker on the leg shield - then we tell people, "Not certain - but pretty sure it's Italian."
The LIKE200iLX proved to me that good stuff can come from China....after 4 yrs it is still proving that to me.
(and one more time - you rebuild that LIKE seat with a mile of foam - and you'll think you're on a GoldWing and will quit shopping for better shocks. It is, as is much of life - all in the seat!)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 01:59:50 AM »
Taiwan is China. The government is the Republic of China, and to my knowledge still claims mainland China as their own. Just as the People's Republic of China lays claim to Taiwan.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 10:24:28 AM »
Taiwan is China. The government is the Republic of China, and to my knowledge still claims mainland China as their own. Just as the People's Republic of China lays claim to Taiwan.
Sorry, siding with Taiwan  here.
Got the T-shirt and everything.....
"We ain't China!"
China claims a lot of stuff......
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 01:32:04 PM »
But that's the thing. Taiwan isn't claiming to not be China. It's government is in fact claiming all of China as theirs.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 05:42:58 PM »
Can't speak to everyone's Kymco but mine.

'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 02:02:59 AM »
Can't speak to everyone's Kymco but mine.
It would be intersting to see which ones were made in China. I suspect it would be the smaller, less expensive Kymcos.
Still, no issues with my Chinese assembled scooter....just wish it was Taiwanese! Small things might look different, or not.
Old prejudices hard to overcome.
I do remember that the orig. msrp for the LIKE200i  was @$3300....then suddenly dropped to $2700.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()