Author Topic: We're Number One!  (Read 1232 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
Re: We're Number One!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 05:46:43 PM »
The Like 150 is very pretty. I would consider getting one, but my 2013 Like 200i is still in great shape. My SMAX is a bit bigger and faster. That is how I justified buying that one. If a house falls on my Like, I would be down to the dealer in a heartbeat for the 150.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 06:14:57 PM »
Pretty impressive article, especially for those who hear Kymce's are made in Taiwan. Their response is "Oh, another Chinese scooter." Wrong! When you tell them that Kymco made engines for Honda in the 60's and now for BMW, (and I've heard for Kawasaki's, sold in other countries), they start to listen. I wanted nothing to do with Kymco until I heard that. I bought an xciting 250 and have been sold on them since. Seems as if Kymco deserves a place on the list of the world's best kept secrets.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 12:17:19 AM »
Pretty impressive article, especially for those who hear Kymce's are made in Taiwan. Their response is "Oh, another Chinese scooter." Wrong! When you tell them that Kymco made engines for Honda in the 60's and now for BMW, (and I've heard for Kawasaki's, sold in other countries), they start to listen. I wanted nothing to do with Kymco until I heard that. I bought an xciting 250 and have been sold on them since. Seems as if Kymco deserves a place on the list of the world's best kept secrets.

Actually, according to this article Kymco are making the 150i in their China factory but there still is a big difference in quality compared to some of the Chinese scooters out there.  We have a company in Australia that imports Chinese scooters and has then rebadged under their name but most of the other scooter workshops won't service or work on them.  I was surprised to find out that some BMW G650 GS had chinese made engines in them for a while as I thought that would damper sales as most people purchased them as they wanted the German quality.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/kymco/2018-kymco-like-150i-abs-review.html
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:20:47 AM by PaulF »

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 04:57:24 AM »
Actually, according to this article Kymco are making the 150i in their China factory but there still is a big difference in quality compared to some of the Chinese scooters out there.  We have a company in Australia that imports Chinese scooters and has then rebadged under their name but most of the other scooter workshops won't service or work on them.  I was surprised to find out that some BMW G650 GS had chinese made engines in them for a while as I thought that would damper sales as most people purchased them as they wanted the German quality.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/kymco/2018-kymco-like-150i-abs-review.html

It's all about the company and quality control, Apple has all kinds of stuff made in China.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 11:30:03 AM »
The Like 150 is very pretty. I would consider getting one, but my 2013 Like 200i is still in great shape. My SMAX is a bit bigger and faster. That is how I justified buying that one. If a house falls on my Like, I would be down to the dealer in a heartbeat for the 150.
Major quakes predicted in your area...Rather peculiar. ....damages limited to garages only due to convergence of cold front and glue in CD plywood and/or Asian drywall, and various concrete mixtures.
Good luck.....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 12:38:39 PM »
Major quakes predicted in your area...Rather peculiar. ....damages limited to garages only due to convergence of cold front and glue in CD plywood and/or Asian drywall, and various concrete mixtures.
Good luck.....
Stig

Hempcrete is stronger and earthquake resistant, a sustainable resource. Yep, that's what they're saying and....oops...a highjack of a perfectly lovely scooter...the venerable Like. If only it sported a 250cc for me. That's my lowest threashold for now at 67. Give me another 10 years and we'll see.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

forkintheroad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 01:52:08 PM »
It's a very pretty scooter. If only it could reach SMAX speeds.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 07:41:41 PM »
It's a very pretty scooter. If only it could reach SMAX speeds.
I'm probably found to be in left field on this issue of speed....but, I figure the mid 50's is plenty fast enough for a scooter with this combination of wheelbase, weight and wheel size.
"Fast enough at 55 mph?" Yep, I'm referring to stability and  s a f e t y for it's size.
Plenty of bigger, faster scooters if that is what a person wants.

The U.S.A. doesn't have the massive selection of scooters that Asia and Europe has - but we have enough variety that a person should not have to buy a scooter - only to wish it could go faster.

Congrats to Kymco for this award! Let's hope the dealers market it with some enthusiasm - and even a little advertising!
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 06:03:20 PM »
I also like the look of that 150 and would probably enjoy one very much !
I have never ridden a 150cc scooter and would be concerned about the power, if I were buying.
The 250 Helix is about the lowest acceptable power level, but the smaller scoots are so nimble and fun !

For most my life I immediately went for the WOT speed-run, if I did not wait a few minutes to do so.
No longer.
Now I am pretty happy at 45 to 55mph, and avoid freeway travel.
redk

Garthibiza

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 05:21:45 PM »
Hi there, Kymco owners,
Not sure where to start with your site, as a new member, so I'll start here ........
Pleased to read that Kymco is number one, so it looks like we bought the right brand.
I have just bought ( from original owner ) an Xciting 400i, registered April 2016, low mileage, only 3,200 ams !
It's only my second scoot, my first a 2007 Yamaha X max 250, which I have had for about 18 months.
Tried the Kymco, and found it to have much better ride quality, and great brakes, and for me 5 11", a perfect riding position.
As a motorcycle rider of over 40 years, I always shunned scooters, but discovered when renting them in Asia, that they offer a convenient practical form of transport, and where I live, the island is only 50 x 30 kms, so I don't need a big bike or cruiser, just comfort, enjoyment and safety.
I have not yet managed to obtain a copy of the owners manual in English, but from what I see in the Spanish one, apart from tyre pressures, it seems pretty useless.
But, I would like to get a service manual, in English, so if anyone out there can help, it would be much appreciated.
I look forward to hearing from other owners and sharing your experiences with this scoot.
Kind regards,  garthibiza.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 09:19:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum. As a Downtown owner I'm looking at the 400i as my next possible bike (though not for years) as the DT has been discontinued in the States. Hope you can find a PDF of the owner's manual.

- Wolf

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()