Author Topic: In favor of the scooter  (Read 2548 times)

big blue

• View Profile
In favor of the scooter
« on: July 12, 2017, 06:51:45 PM »
Here's a link to a pretty good case for the scooter in the  U.S.  https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/07/06/america-its-time-we-embrace-the-scooter/
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: In favor of the scooter
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 04:55:52 PM »
Pretty good article! I don't know how realistic the author is, however. He does not seem to let us know how many of the dealers function or dys-function which effects everything. Cars and pick-ups are for everyone. Airplanes, motorcycles and today's scooters are NOT for everyone! Us older guys recall the splash in Popular Science and similar magazines after WWII the "big deal" about everyone would be wanting to fly (OK, I was a kid but I could read!). Did not happen. Not everyone wanted to leave the ground even if they were excited about the strides made in aviation. Not everyone is excited about the refinements in motorcycles and scooters. Most of "ordinary people" view  anything on two or three wheels as a "death trap" and have no interest. All that is pointing out that two wheels appeals to a very small percentage of the total population in the US. Now, world-wide is a different story and always has been but we are dealing with the US. Back in the 60s when Honda took the country by storm with, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda," there was no real introduction to riding safety. You bought the machine and rolled it out the door, you were on your own. When Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki got going there were some really impressive bikes available with impressive performances and death and injury skyrocketed. Somewhere around 67 Yamaha of soCal put on a riding class in the San Diego stadium parking lot. Thousands of people showed up, rode a 50 or 80 cc bike and we all got t-shirts! Anyone that owned a Yamaha was an automatic "instructor!" It was a good sales gimmick, nothing more and it worked and I would do it again in a flash! They not only produced over one hundred "used" bikes but they sold HUNDREDS more new machines that had not been dumped in the stadium parking lot! It is an old idea that has merit especially today with the advent of good riding gear and MSF available. All it takes is promotion to the dealers by a manufacturer that is really interested in selling their motorcycles and/or scooters. Do it in several major cities across the nation. Make it attractive to riders and dealers alike. Use the innovative thinking of Honda and Yamaha to promote a new generation of riders and customers. Give it a try, Kymco. Whaddya got to lose?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 08:33:48 PM »
I absolutely agree! ;)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 04:50:05 PM »
Pretty good article! I don't know how realistic the author is, however. He does not seem to let us know how many of the dealers function or dys-function which effects everything. Cars and pick-ups are for everyone. Airplanes, motorcycles and today's scooters are NOT for everyone! Us older guys recall the splash in Popular Science and similar magazines after WWII the "big deal" about everyone would be wanting to fly (OK, I was a kid but I could read!). Did not happen. Not everyone wanted to leave the ground even if they were excited about the strides made in aviation. Not everyone is excited about the refinements in motorcycles and scooters. Most of "ordinary people" view  anything on two or three wheels as a "death trap" and have no interest. All that is pointing out that two wheels appeals to a very small percentage of the total population in the US. Now, world-wide is a different story and always has been but we are dealing with the US. Back in the 60s when Honda took the country by storm with, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda," there was no real introduction to riding safety. You bought the machine and rolled it out the door, you were on your own. When Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki got going there were some really impressive bikes available with impressive performances and death and injury skyrocketed. Somewhere around 67 Yamaha of soCal put on a riding class in the San Diego stadium parking lot. Thousands of people showed up, rode a 50 or 80 cc bike and we all got t-shirts! Anyone that owned a Yamaha was an automatic "instructor!" It was a good sales gimmick, nothing more and it worked and I would do it again in a flash! They not only produced over one hundred "used" bikes but they sold HUNDREDS more new machines that had not been dumped in the stadium parking lot! It is an old idea that has merit especially today with the advent of good riding gear and MSF available. All it takes is promotion to the dealers by a manufacturer that is really interested in selling their motorcycles and/or scooters. Do it in several major cities across the nation. Make it attractive to riders and dealers alike. Use the innovative thinking of Honda and Yamaha to promote a new generation of riders and customers. Give it a try, Kymco. Whaddya got to lose?

Karl
Great idea. I hope someone from Kymco reads this and puts the idea into practice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 07:47:58 PM »
Crossbolt for Kymco president!!  8) 8)
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 08:53:52 PM »
Thank you, thank you, GLV55! Check's in the mail!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 09:25:36 PM »
Great idea. I hope someone from Kymco reads this and puts the idea into practice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, I think they got it. I received this link FROM Kymco on my Facebook page.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:30:11 PM by big blue »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 10:31:53 PM »
What link?

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 11:48:08 PM »
Oh sorry, I was referring to the link at the top of this thread.

forkintheroad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 04:12:41 AM »

Karl

I like the idea.

forkintheroad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 04:31:20 AM »
Here's a link to a pretty good case for the scooter in the  U.S.  https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2017/07/06/america-its-time-we-embrace-the-scooter/

Xtown 300i?

Xciting 400i?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()