Author Topic: Xciting 500 2016 Model Belt drive, tires and free-way driving questions  (Read 5158 times)

ClayMation

• View Profile
Hello all,

This is my first post and i'm super 'xcited' that there is such a thing as a Kymco forum.

So, i'll delve right into my experiences and concerns.

First off, I live in Southern California (Los Angeles area) and I upgraded to the kymco xciting 500 abs 2016 model after I had a SSR Turino 150cc (cheap chinese vespa knock off).

The reasons I did the upgrade were:

1-Needed to get on the freeway desperately because i'm still relatively new to LA (came here in 2015) and i'm still searching earnestly for long term, consistent work. I also do freelance work that is sometimes 50 miles away, so I needed to be able to jump on the freeway when ever possible.

2-Low Maintenance potential. I figured with a better model bike made by a more reputable company like Kymco i'd have to invest less and do maintenance less outside of my service updates every 3000 miles.

So, I have about 3300 miles on the bike now after having purchased it brand new at Berts Mega Mall in west covina about 3 months ago.

For the most part the bike has been handling the freeway driving fairly well, I have been able to keep up with "most" freeway speed driving except when I am forced onto certain freeways by navigation (I wear earbuds when using my iphones navigation through siri or google maps). On some freeways here in California it is literally impossible to go slower than 80-85 safely because NOBODY obeys the speed limits. The 118 for example, or the 5 as another example.

That said, there have been multiple occasions where I was forced to 'push' the bike to 85-90 for a few minutes at a time because of these unreasonable driving conditions.

The other thing is, I wouldn't say I "hard accelerate" but there are instances (again, on the freeway) where I am forced to go from 0 rpm, to say, 3 or 4 rpm because of dangerous road conditions courtesy of guys doing 90-100 mph in large SUV's.

I took it for a brief inspection at berts mega mall last week and was told by one of the service techs that he thinks the belt might be 'slipping' a little due to 'hard accelerating" and I told him I don't hard accelerate, unless going from 0-2 or 3 on the rpm scale is considered hard accelerating. That means 0 to 2000 to 3000 rpms when I have to usually more 2000 than 3000, and I try my best to give it a second before going from 2-3-4 on the rpm scale but sometimes I don't have that luxury due to safety concerns.

Now, I could choose to stay mostly off the freeways but the reason I purchased the bike is to use it mostly on the freeways.

Secondly, this service tech told me my tires have "slight pre-cupping" which means ever so slight signs of cracking at the point where the side wall meets the tread surface, but none of that on the tread surface itself. I've been making sure the PSI is at 35-36 at least 2-3 times monthly. Lately i've been checking them more and keeping them about 38 PSI.

He also told me my brakes have about '60% left" in them which was another shocker.

Now, there was a single time I drove with the parking break half way engaged for less than a mile, but as I said it was only half way engaged or I would've noticed it sooner and I wouldn't have been able to drive as fast as I was with my girlfriend on the back also. I usually keep the rear suspension settings at 4-5 when she is on it and 3 when I am by myself, since I go shopping a lot after having installed a top case on it.

Based on all the above info, what should my approach be to this situation? I have a service maintenance coming in about 600 miles (out of my own pocket) but I kind of loathe the idea that i'm already having to consider pouring other money into this bike after only owning it for 3 months.

My second inquiry is about upgrade parts. Should I stick to the Kymco factory belt drive or seek out an upgrade model? And then tires, are there any tires that are considered an upgrade to the maxus factory installed ones, which would be great for both freeway and surface street driving? They're telling me these tires will only last 6000 miles! A HUGE shocker since i've seen motorcycle tires last 15000 miles. I'm honestly not yet ready to pour money into this bike, and the reason I bought it is so I wouldn't have to do it so soon.

Another thing, it's my main mode of transportation. I don't have a car.

What should I do?

Thank you in advance for all your responses.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:11:05 PM by ClayMation »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Xciting 500 2016 Model Belt drive, tires and free-way driving questions
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 10:51:34 PM »
Take what I am about to write with a grain of salt, please. "Slight pre-cupping" is a phrase I have never heard. Cupping of the front tire is common in high mileage Maxxis tires. Cracks in the bead-to-sidewall are precursors to tire failure. No option. Replace the tires with these symptoms. Michelin Power Pure SC are supposed to be dual compound with hard stuff in the center. I gotta set so will report in a few thousand miles. Replace with anything but Maxxis. Rear wheels always wear faster. There IS NO UPGRADE FROM A KYMCO CVT BELT. Kymco uses mostly Mitsuboshi belts and there ain't none better. Slipping belts are a disaster. They should not slip. How does he know your belt is slipping? You need to digest every 500 cc post on this forum. You should have done that before you bought the scoot you now have. I personally think the 500's are potentially great bikes but have documented requirements beyond normal Kymco reliability.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ClayMation

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 02:48:21 AM »
I personally think the 500's are potentially great bikes but have documented requirements beyond normal Kymco reliability.

Karl

Hi Karl,

Thanks so much for the response. I am wondering precisely what you mean by the quote above about the 500s being beyond normal kymco reliability?

As far as how he knew, he was just guessing because I didn't have him do a thorough investigation since my service maintenance is coming very soon within a few hundred more miles. He was stating it similarly, with a grain of salt I presume. If they did a probing look they would have charged me for diagnostics.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 03:27:30 AM »
First off putting your location in your profile can be helpful as Los Angeles covers a fairly large area. I'm down in Costa Mesa but ocassionaly end up in the LA area from time to time. I bought my Kymco MyRoad 700i from Bert's about a year and a half ago. I took it back for a feels like the clutch slipping on take off at only 140 miles on it. My one experience with them wasn't confidence inspiring and ultimately had to take it else where to get it fixed.

Now I'm not really sure if you are noticing a slippage problem or its just something Bert's threw out there. I can't imagine you need tires, brakes, or a CVT belt at this point. I've got 5,500 miles on my scoot and all seems well. If you want to sometime i'd be happy to look at it for you and/or show you how to work on it yourself.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

ClayMation

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 07:23:27 AM »
First off putting your location in your profile can be helpful as Los Angeles covers a fairly large area. I'm down in Costa Mesa but ocassionaly end up in the LA area from time to time. I bought my Kymco MyRoad 700i from Bert's about a year and a half ago. I took it back for a feels like the clutch slipping on take off at only 140 miles on it. My one experience with them wasn't confidence inspiring and ultimately had to take it else where to get it fixed.

Now I'm not really sure if you are noticing a slippage problem or its just something Bert's threw out there. I can't imagine you need tires, brakes, or a CVT belt at this point. I've got 5,500 miles on my scoot and all seems well. If you want to sometime i'd be happy to look at it for you and/or show you how to work on it yourself.

MJR

That's absolutely awesome!

I am in Pasadena area. Specifically South Pasadena. About 40 miles from you, but I know where you are, where it's near to is Laguna Beach, me and my girlfriend have driven there about 2 months ago on the Kymco.

Man, i'd love to set something up perhaps next week or the following week, depending on my work schedule and of course yours. How would this work out?

By the way, thanks in advance!

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 05:29:30 PM »
MJR

That's absolutely awesome!

I am in Pasadena area. Specifically South Pasadena. About 40 miles from you, but I know where you are, where it's near to is Laguna Beach, me and my girlfriend have driven there about 2 months ago on the Kymco.

Man, i'd love to set something up perhaps next week or the following week, depending on my work schedule and of course yours. How would this work out?

By the way, thanks in advance!

I'm a little north of Laguna but close enough (or a nice ride along the coast from there). I'm not currently working so I am mostly open to when. As far as location I'm not sure what kind of tools you might have should we want to open say the CVT to have a look. I do here at my house in Costa Mesa have a complete set of tools and such being a former automotive mechanic who works on all my own scooters (I have 5 Burgman 650's, a Aprilia Atlantic 500, and a Kymco MyRoad 700i). I have also helped or done work for other Burgman 650 owners.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 06:00:29 PM »
Five? FIVE? 5? 650 Burgs? Gotta start reading the fine print......

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 09:21:58 PM »
The only thing I can add is here is always, always whenever possible use Kymco OEM parts.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 03:59:35 AM »
Five? FIVE? 5? 650 Burgs? Gotta start reading the fine print......

Yup, my original '03 I bought new and had to rebuilt the CVT on, a '09 I bought new to ride while I decided what to do with the '03, a '05 I bought with wrecked body because I thought I might put the '03 body on, a '06 with a bad CVT I rebuilt, another '06 I bought with a CVT problem I haven't done anything with yet, and a '03 parts bike that had most of the body and a few other items parted out by the previous owner. But I've got 3 I can ride along with the Kymco and Aprilia. :D
'14 White MyRoad 700i

ClayMation

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 04:06:02 AM »
I'm a little north of Laguna but close enough (or a nice ride along the coast from there). I'm not currently working so I am mostly open to when. As far as location I'm not sure what kind of tools you might have should we want to open say the CVT to have a look. I do here at my house in Costa Mesa have a complete set of tools and such being a former automotive mechanic who works on all my own scooters (I have 5 Burgman 650's, a Aprilia Atlantic 500, and a Kymco MyRoad 700i). I have also helped or done work for other Burgman 650 owners.

I am doing a lot of freelance work myself to keep myself afloat right now. I will become aware of my next weeks schedule soon and i'll let you know when I have a window opened for coming out there.

I just want to be clear on the situation, are you requesting some form of payment? I'm asking because I'm barely keeping afloat with my bike payments and everything else and would like to be clear if you do this as a freelance payment gig. If so I might have to wait a while before I can come down there.

ClayMation

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 04:06:39 AM »
The only thing I can add is here is always, always whenever possible use Kymco OEM parts.

What about tire upgrades? Is there any unanimity on that subject?

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 04:27:29 AM »
I am doing a lot of freelance work myself to keep myself afloat right now. I will become aware of my next weeks schedule soon and i'll let you know when I have a window opened for coming out there.

I just want to be clear on the situation, are you requesting some form of payment? I'm asking because I'm barely keeping afloat with my bike payments and everything else and would like to be clear if you do this as a freelance payment gig. If so I might have to wait a while before I can come down there.

Fine just let me know. No I'm just offering to look at it or help you with what you want to do. It's like the Jeep enthusiast community where we help each other out and sometimes the person having work done buys lunch or drinks. Just willing to help others if they need it.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

ClayMation

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 05:16:28 AM »
Fine just let me know. No I'm just offering to look at it or help you with what you want to do. It's like the Jeep enthusiast community where we help each other out and sometimes the person having work done buys lunch or drinks. Just willing to help others if they need it.

MJR,

Once again, I want to thank you deeply for this offer and I will follow through with it. Within the next few days I'll send you a private message about when I can travel out there.

Thank you for your generosity. I'm privileged to be part of this community.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 06:33:16 PM »
What about tire upgrades? Is there any unanimity on that subject?

You will probably find no unanimity on tires. Its a personal preference thing, performance versus mileage etc. Michelin City Grips or Michelin Pure Powers seem to be some of the most popular if they are in your size.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

sissymary

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 07:02:59 PM »
Stay stock. My first belt lasted over 30,000 miles. Use a drop or 2 of medium strength lock tight on CVT & clutch nuts. Let dry before riding. If not torqued down correctly the CVT fan pulley half plate can back off after many miles.  My original clutch was good for about 70,000 miles. I only replaced it because I wanted to put in a new spring. I didn't need a new spring, but I felt it had been compressed for several years, and maybe needed a change out. It did't! Change the oil your self, and adjust valves around every 20,000 miles or so. I have never adjusted mine in 70,000 miles, but my MPG has gone way down, and I am sure it is because of this. X500's are built like tanks. I use synthetic oils, (mobile one 15/50). Change oil once a year with a K&N filter, and forget it. My stator died around 50,000 miles or so. Only break down! Good luck. You can put a car tire on the rear? Someone here DARK SIDED HIS, it seemed to work out ok? :-* 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()