Author Topic: Riding in groups  (Read 2482 times)

Redk

• View Profile
Re: Riding in groups
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 06:21:56 AM »
I had a friend who once rode with the Victor McLaglen Motor Corp.

Would that count ?
redk

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 06:26:33 AM by Redk »

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 02:53:28 PM »
I think the coolest thing about groups is getting to meet other owners and see all kinds of scoots. Group riding does require more attention due to the limited space around you but most scoot riders are a little better than say the sport bike guys, some of which do plenty of stupid things like passing in no passing zones or on blind corners. One I went on recently we rode around town and I got to see some things I didn't even know we're there. Then there is the attention you get riding around with a bunch of scoots. :D
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 06:16:47 PM »
I probably have more saddle time in group rides than solo, both as Chaplin and Road Captain, on Harleys, in the CMA and Faith Riders. All rides began with a prayer and a safety talk, that included a re-cap of the group riding rules. All rides ended safely, except one. In this case, an injury occurred as a result of a broken rule. The rule she broke was, "ride your own ride." She thought she had to maintain a set distance between herself and the rider to her front, regardless if that required taking curves at a higher speed than she was comfortable with. She straightened a curve and smacked a tree. Had to be air-lifted out and still has a bad limp, ten years later. She later told me she thought ride your own ride meant one a bike she owned. I faulted myself for not asking if everyone understood the rules and what they meant. I made that my closing statement, there after, each safety talk. As far as what one should wear, well body armor is good and a must on rockets, but bike riding is all about freedom, TO ME, and that includes what I wear. My only rule on that was Helmets , (DOT approved) ALWAYS, shorts or barefoot NEVER. I doubt that many here will agree with any of this, but it's worked well for me for the pass 63 years and counting. If it ain't broke, don't fix it till it is.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 12:25:39 PM »
I think the coolest thing about groups is getting to meet other owners and see all kinds of scoots. Group riding does require more attention due to the limited space around you but most scoot riders are a little better than say the sport bike guys, some of which do plenty of stupid things like passing in no passing zones or on blind corners. One I went on recently we rode around town and I got to see some things I didn't even know we're there. Then there is the attention you get riding around with a bunch of scoots. :D

Thank you for saying that as there are many positive benefits of doing group rides like what you said about seeing other bikes and their mods and meeting new friends. When I rode Goldwings I attended their forum meet and greets and continue to do so. It's taken me to places like Dodge City, Kansas; Maggie Valley, North Carolina; Palo Duro Canyon, Texas; Eureka Springs, Arkansas; Hot Springs, Arkansas; 3 Twisted Sisters, south Texas, Colorado and Big Bend. We get together once a year for a SW M&G.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 03:05:30 PM »
Thank you for saying that as there are many positive benefits of doing group rides like what you said about seeing other bikes and their mods and meeting new friends. When I rode Goldwings I attended their forum meet and greets and continue to do so. It's taken me to places like Dodge City, Kansas; Maggie Valley, North Carolina; Palo Duro Canyon, Texas; Eureka Springs, Arkansas; Hot Springs, Arkansas; 3 Twisted Sisters, south Texas, Colorado and Big Bend. We get together once a year for a SW M&G.

It's just like the Jeep thing I've been doing for nearly two decades. We get together with old friends or meet new ones, talk Jeeps, modifications, and hit the trails together. I've ridden along, driven my own Jeep or truck, and even led trails. I think it's so cool to share or help people getting into whatever you're interested in. I've been some pretty amazing places and met some of the nicest people. Good groups also look after each other providing assistance when necessary which in some of the remote places I've been can even be a life saver. Groups aren't for everyone and that's fine too. There are times I just like to do my own thing or sometimes there are a few folks that like the same things I do and we do them together.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 03:12:04 PM by MJR »
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 10:39:06 PM »
Saw a great teeshirt: "It takes money to ride a Harley; it takes balls to ride a scooter".
2009 GV 250

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 03:34:24 AM »
Saw a great teeshirt: "It takes money to ride a Harley; it takes balls to ride a scooter".
That is fantastic!   ;D ;D ;D  We need that on a sticker we can put on our top cases. Tee shirt would be great as well.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()