Author Topic: Front wheel squeak goes away when braking  (Read 766 times)

dp215

• View Profile
Front wheel squeak goes away when braking
« on: July 29, 2017, 11:45:57 PM »
Guys/Gals. I'm desperate. I LOVE my super 8 150, but the damn thing has had intermittent front wheel squealing ever since I got it. The thing is the squeal goes away when I brake. Any ideas?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Front wheel squeak goes away when braking
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 12:00:43 AM »
Can you get a sheet of sand-paper between the disc and the brake pad?
Give the pad a few strokes with the sand side - not the disc.

But, mechanics tell me that most often the squeak is coming from the back of the pad - vibrating in its holder. They apply a dab of lubricant, or a teflon like pad to insulate the two surfaces.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

dp215

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 12:30:13 AM »
Can you get a sheet of sand-paper between the disc and the brake pad?
Give the pad a few strokes with the sand side - not the disc.

But, mechanics tell me that most often the squeak is coming from the back of the pad - vibrating in its holder. They apply a dab of lubricant, or a teflon like pad to insulate the two surfaces.

Stig

Thanks Stig! Any idea if taking the wheel off to apply the lubricant to the pads voids the warranty?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 01:14:42 AM »
Thanks Stig! Any idea if taking the wheel off to apply the lubricant to the pads voids the warranty?
Only if you mess up something.
If under warranty,  I'd stop in and tslk to dealer about it.
Whatever you do, do NOT get lube on pads, or use so much that it migrates there when hot. Tiny dab.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 04:15:47 PM »
You don't need to take the wheel off. You need to unbolt and partially disassemble the brake caliper.

If you use lubricant, make sure to get grease specifically for brakes that isn't going to make rubber swell.

DakLak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 02:08:54 AM »
IF under warranty, a Kymco dealer is best  as they will feed back to the Kymco tech support in your country, this is often a Taiwanese guy in your country's Kymco head office.

Alternately, something I have done a few times now, I take an angle grinder and gently sand the disk brake - and I mean gently - to change the profile of the disk brake surface (remember both sides).

Did this on the brake when my unit came out of warranty when I had to buy a replacement and since then have only swapped the unit.

As someone else mentioned, the sound is caused by the pad being loose in it's holder when unused. There are leaf springs (look like metal with a few dents in it) designed to eliminate this.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()