Author Topic: Motorcycle trailers?  (Read 1599 times)

ScooterNinja

• View Profile
Motorcycle trailers?
« on: July 29, 2017, 01:33:06 AM »
Can anyone here recommend a good trailer for transporting a Like 200i? Ideally, I would just take the scooter to the destination, but I may want more cargo room. ;)
2014 Kymco Like 200i LX

MJR

• View Profile
Re: Motorcycle trailers?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 02:28:53 AM »
Likely overkill but I like the Kendon folding trailers or the Tow Smart ones.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 09:29:28 AM »
I've used this for the last five years.
https://theusatrailerstore.com/ace-single-motorcycle-trailer/

Works fine and easy to store .

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 12:33:32 AM »
Bought a 5' X 8'at Tractor Supply ($5-600.00) and put chocks in it.
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 12:28:51 PM »
Mine is a homemade folding trailer but have heard good things about HF trailers. Just repack the wheel bearings as the Chinese don't lube them well. Here's a super deal on a 4x8 in their August flyer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

Doc Wheezer

• Silently riding armed through the Mojave Desert.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 01:50:54 PM »
July 4, 2012 I bought a 4 x 8 Harbor Freight Haul Master Folding Trailer, to haul my motorcycle's. 
Assembled it in my garage, pretty straight forward design. 
 I had seen one at a gas station with a diamond plate steel deck, that had been painted and sanded.  The owner told me the diamond plate was very expensive, looked nice unpainted, but it was too slippery. He regretted not using plywood.
 I put plywood decking on with a removable locking front wheel chock.  It worked well for me.  All that said, don't let anyone fool you into thinking that you will be folding it and STANDING IT UP on its casters without help.  You have to unpin and unbolt the folding parts, flip the back over onto the front.  At this point you should secure the two half's together. 
Now start lifting both half's up on to the casters, while the tongue drops down. You're trying to tip 150 to 200 lbs or more.
If you try to do this on smooth concrete the caster support won't have anything to bite into and will just slide away from you.
If you happen to be built like "The Rock" aka Dwayne Johnson it shouldn't be a problem. I'm over 6 foot I couldn't do it safely by myself.  I ended up buying a electric hoist.  I attached the hoist to the ceiling joist in the garage. That was the only way I could safely fold and stand the trailer up for storage.
Good Luck.

DW

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:17:52 PM by Doc Wheezer »

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 02:15:49 PM »
Had a HF Tagalong I pulled behind my GW. Had a friend buy the folding HF and pulled his motocross behind his GW. Have Goldwing buddies who also haul their #900 pound Wings on them with no issue. Do have to assemble though and install a deck.

Doc Wheezer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 05:47:40 PM »
I never had a problem with the trailer, towing it or what it could handle, it suited my needs perfectly.  It was a pain in the rear however to tip into the storage position because it was so heavy. It is not something you want to do everyday or without help. Pictures are of my HF trailer before I installed the front wheel locking wheel chock.

The only reason I had to get a trailer was, U-Haul would not rent me a trailer, because I owned a Ford Explorer Sport trac and u-haul has a policy against hooking up their equipment to any at the time Explorers.
U HAUL POLICY
U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul – we have built our success for over 60 years by saying 'yes' to our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move.

Believe I would have rather paid $14 to rent a uhaul motorcycle trailer once in a while than mess around with the Harbor Freight one.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:07:04 PM by Doc Wheezer »

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 06:30:49 PM »
Not everyone needs to install in tilted position in their garage and would therefore store as any other trailer. Shoot, I don't even have a garage as my trailers (3) all sit outside. Kinda nice to have one when you really need it.

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 10:09:48 PM »
I did find a scooter hauler I kinda like...
Perhaps I should start up a Go Fund Me page, or Patreon, to help me cover the 105k cost of the 3yr old hauler ?
redk

Doc Wheezer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 11:13:21 PM »
Not everyone needs to install in tilted position in their garage and would therefore store as any other trailer. Shoot, I don't even have a garage as my trailers (3) all sit outside. Kinda nice to have one when you really need it.

I don't recall ever saying 'everyone needs to install in tilted position in their garage.'   For those who don't need to store it folded "DON"T"
But for the folks that want to or because of HOMEOWNER ASSOCIATIONS have no choice but to store in their garage.  I was informing them of that is isn't as easy as it seems.  What I was addressing, was something I have never seen written when people have posted about buying these trailers and how cheap they are. That's all nothing more.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:25:45 AM by Doc Wheezer »

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 11:49:13 PM »
[     I like that Idea.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 11:52:23 PM »
Mine is a homemade folding trailer but have heard good things about HF trailers. Just repack the wheel bearings as the Chinese don't lube them well. Here's a super deal on a 4x8 in their August flyer.

That one is small enough to pull behind a moped..................mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Doc Wheezer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 12:27:16 AM »
That one is small enough to pull behind a moped..................mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Blue,
What size moped do you have?

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 02:37:14 AM »
They also have one half that size that could be pulled behind a bike as long as you could fabricate a hitch.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()