Author Topic: Help needed  (Read 605 times)

big blue

• View Profile
Help needed
« on: July 26, 2017, 05:19:04 PM »
Hi guys, well I'm in the middle of doing a belt and roller change on my Like and I have run into the problem of the stuck CVT case. All the bolt are removed and I have tapped on the case with a soft mallet and pried in the designated spots but no movement. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks...
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 06:06:40 PM »
There are two dowel pins (hollow) and a gasket on most of these belt cases/swing arms. The outer case half has to come off nearly straight or it comes off never. Personally, I have had to "tap" each one to remove it the first time. One had to be started with tapping on the handle of a screwdriver through the spokes of the rear wheel! Only took one tap and that separated the cases about .030" but was enough to finally worry the case half off.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 06:34:24 PM »
First time off?
Fun, ain't it!?
Yep, vespbretta found one tap point through the rear wheel spokes.
Me, I finally got it loose by doing all of your stuff (make SURE you've removed all hold-down screws!) and carefully tapping a thin putty knife into the rear edge of the stuck cover. If you can get it started, ......you can wiggle it loose. Blasted things are really stuck on a LIKE200I !
I replaced with new kymco gasket (glued onto cover, then lubed up so it will never stick again to case.
Hang in there,  it WILL come off!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »
Thanks Stig I did get it with a combo of all. I will post pics of the rollers. There was a lot of flat spots but Dr. Pulleys will be going in! ;)

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 10:17:13 PM »
Job done and all back together. I started the engine after torqueing the clutch and variator to make sure the belt was well seated and torqued again. The belt measured 29cm wide and seemed in pretty decent condition so I'll hold on to it for a spare. I sanded the clutch shoes w/ 200 grit and the bell as well. I found no heavy scores in the drive pulley faces so I just cleaned them with brake cleaner. The idea of driving the CVT cover off through the wheel was the winner for me and I glued that new gasket to the engine side of the case for easy remounting. I have already taken a shake-down ride and all seems smooth and okay. The Dr. Pulleys seem quite smooth in operation but I don't feel any increased rpms at take-off. The engage point does feel faster though. By the way my scooter is at 8200 miles and the CVT had not been opened. I'm enclosing pics of the stock 14gm rollers they were quite flat spotted but where still operating without noise or grabbing. The new Dr. Pulley sliders are 13gm and I replaced the slide pieces as well with stock Kymco parts. All in all not a bad job once the case is removed. :)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 11:04:08 PM »
Well done, you!
Those little rollers take a beating....but I  bet a stock scooter CVT could go many miles.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()