Author Topic: Looking for advice on Kymco Super 9  (Read 1079 times)

timbuktwo

• View Profile
Looking for advice on Kymco Super 9
« on: July 25, 2017, 09:18:18 PM »
Hi,

Wondering if I could get some advice on my 2008 Super 9 with 15,000 KM on it. 

Problem: The bike isn't starting normally. Last season it was worse in cooler weather, but this season it's clearly not working even on warm days. The electric starter would not star from cold start, unless I try it a few times and give it gas. A few times it did not start at all, but it started with the kick starter. 

Troubleshooting: I had a mechanic look at it. He said he did the spark plugs and cleaned the corroborator. He said the next step would be to test the Electric Choke.  I'm not sure if he tested the battery (but i sure hope so).

Looking for some advice

GVH

• View Profile
Re: Looking for advice on Kymco Super 9
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 03:47:30 PM »
I had the same problem with my super9. It finally wouldn't start on the starter only kick. Turned out the starter relay beside the battery had died. It had rust from moisture on the prongs. I ridged a four pin relay to test and replace it for now. 
2 x 2007 Super9LC, 2010 BW125, 2001 Derbi Predator LC, 1963 Triumph Tina, 1960 BSA Sunbeam 250, 1971 BSA B25SS, 2005 SV650N

Dabby-D

• View Profile
Re: Looking for advice on Kymco Super 9
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 04:23:08 PM »
You can test your choke switch by testing for 12v current at the CDI connector pin. Disconnect the CDI and test the Black wire w/ blue stripe. While the switch is in the on position you should have 12v, with the switch in the off position you should have nothing. The starter relay should make a clicking sound whether its working or not but, you either get current past it or not, disconnect the starter positive wire and test the relay for sending 12v or take the starter out see if it spins. I actually had this problem as well and broke my kickstarter, so I swapped out the starter from a chinese 139qmb engine after ordering something online that didn't work. amazingly the kickstart spindle, starter and everything fit right into my S9 from my donor bike.
2005 Super 9 LC - Airsal (T6) 73.8cc BBK
Battery: Chromes-Pro I-gel w/ self tester & LCD
Stator:(soon) Artek K2 rotor w/light
cooling:(soon) Bosh 12v water pump
Carb: 19mm PHGB (soon)Yoshimura 24
Air filter: Malossi E5 chrome
Variator: Malossi - Clutch: Malossi MHR Delta
Exhaust: technigas Next-R

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()