Author Topic: Is my Like 200i normal?  (Read 3880 times)

Petey4

• 2015 Like 200i
    • View Profile
Is my Like 200i normal?
« on: July 13, 2017, 05:37:55 PM »
New user here (but I've been lurking awhile). Never ridden a scooter before (but I had several motorcycles in my younger days), so I don't have anything to compare this one to.

Purchased a new 2015 (anniversary model) in January, since the dealer was "motivated" to get it off the floor. It's been serving my commuting needs well, and seems pretty peppy, but its performance is significantly less than what many report here.

Bottom line, if it's within the window of acceptable performance I won't worry about it. It's a hassle to bring to the shop. But if there's something wrong with it I want to get it fixed while under warranty.

I'm a big guy (210 lbs) but I read about other large people going 60 mph. Top speed for me on a flat run is barely 50 (according to the speedo). I've gotten it as high as 53 when on a long down-slope. Also, my gas mileage is always around 57 mpg. I've gotten 62 or so when consciously riding the accelerator as light as possible. Others online report much higher figures.

I now have 950 miles, have changed the oil three times (using synthetic the last time), changed the gear oil twice, checked the valve clearance twice, restructured the seat, and added mirror extenders. I use premium gas.

Does my performance seem way off, or is it within the realm of normal? To my ear the engine sounds kind of gurgle-y at lower rpms, and plastic-y at high rpms (sort of like when we used to clip playing cards to our bicycle spokes). I put a call in to the dealer about the performance. They were going to investigate whether it was normal (and whether I had a chip that could be updated) but they never got back to me. Thought I'd see what y'all thought.

Thanks for any feedback!

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Is my Like 200i normal?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 05:55:43 PM »
Hi Petey, welcome to the forum. Your performance does seem a little on the low side. It could be something as easy as the throttle cable being too slack so that it does not open fully at speed. You can check by taking out the seat and operating the twist grip and watch to see if the butterfly valve on the injection body goes to full open. Another possibility is to check the air filter for any obstructions. This would cause both speed and mileage symptoms that you mention. I doubt that the "chip" remedy is the answer unless the one in your scooter is defective which would be covered by the warranty. A third cause could be a dragging brake caliper which is easily checked. Put the bike on the center stand and see if the wheels turn with only light resistance.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 06:28:37 PM »
You should see an increase in performance if you were to use 87 octane fuel (R+M/2) instead of premium. Better yet is non-ethanol.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Petey4

• 2015 Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 08:54:31 PM »
Thanks, both, for the tips. I'll switch gas. Checked the wheel rotation, but will have to check the throttle and air filter this weekend. We'll see what happens.

Forgot to mention, I also switched to the NGK iridium last oil change, but it didn't make any difference.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 08:54:50 PM »
Like you I weigh 210 pounds. From my experience my Like averaged 80 mpg over the 5 years, 14,000+ miles I owned it. I only ran premium unleaded gasoline through the engine. Engine performance dramatically improved once I reached 1,500 miles. I could reach speeds of 63 mph on long straight roads, but 60 mph was easily doable. It does bog down on uphill grades and significantly depending on the angle. The first thing I did when I got the scooter was to remove any slack in the throttle. Your max speed and mileage seems way off. You should be able to go 60 mph. I ride backroads with lots of hills and speeds that range from 25 to 50 mph with reserve power to go faster and would get 80 mpg. If I didn't get those results I know something was wrong. I used a spreadsheet to track my stats. You might want to do the same.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 08:56:13 PM »
Personally I stick with the stock spark plug. That is all I ever used and it worked great! YMMV

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 09:31:31 PM »
I forgot to mention that we got better mileage, too. 'Bout like Troutbum.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Petey4

• 2015 Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 09:48:24 PM »
Yeah, sounds like something is not quite right. But if throttle slack is limiting my speed, that wouldn't affect gas mileage, would it? I'll check the air intake/filter too, but that should be okay, since the bike hasn't seen any dirty conditions since I bought it.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 07:27:54 PM »
You'll probably find the air filter rarely gets dirty due to the placement of the hose under the body molding. Throttle slack won't effect mpg. I am at a loss to why the performance is lacking. If you have a smart phone download a GPS App to check the your top speed and mileage. I found the Kymco gauge to be slightly optimistic.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 01:40:36 PM »
Interesting.....
4 yrs, 12000+ miles on mine.
Iridium plug increased/smoothed idle - nothing else, but nice secure idle while buried in traffic at a light on a little plastic scooter ...is good.

Your mpg's and top speed will surely increase as you add miles.
That's a lot of oils and valve servicing .......but not unheard of ;-)

Your scooter is probably fine, and being under-stressed (like Beetle engines) will likely outlive a Sears mower.

Do keep us informed about this issue...
It's a good scooter.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

wentwest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 06:53:48 PM »
Check the pressure in your tires.  Small scooters are very sensitive to air pressure changes, and at your weight I think it can really matter.  If it was me I'd put 32 at least in the rear tire and maybe 28 in the front.

Petey4

• 2015 Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 02:20:01 AM »
I took out a small bit of slack from the accelerator cable -- but I think the spring assembly was already getting full travel. No noticeable intake obstructions, but I thought it was a little weird that there was a thin piece of foam covering the filter. I left it off after finding no pictures online of pre-filters. Just for kicks I also removed the intake reducer on the filter housing. Tire pressure was fine, but I added a couple of pounds for extra firmness.

I'll see tomorrow morning whether I get any extra speed. Meanwhile, I'm feeling halfway between Stig (thinking the bike is probably ok) and TroutBum (thinking my performance is way off). Because it's been reliable so far and serves my needs well, I'm wary of starting a wild-goose chase with the dealer (since it's a pain in the neck to get it there). Maybe I happened to get a lower performing model, and, as Stig says, maybe I'll gradually get better performance over time. On the other hand, if I could be sure something is wrong I'd definitely want to get it figured out.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 11:12:23 AM »
I took out a small bit of slack from the accelerator cable -- but I think the spring assembly was already getting full travel. No noticeable intake obstructions, but I thought it was a little weird that there was a thin piece of foam covering the filter. I left it off after finding no pictures online of pre-filters. Just for kicks I also removed the intake reducer on the filter housing. Tire pressure was fine, but I added a couple of pounds for extra firmness.

I'll see tomorrow morning whether I get any extra speed. Meanwhile, I'm feeling halfway between Stig (thinking the bike is probably ok) and TroutBum (thinking my performance is way off). Because it's been reliable so far and serves my needs well, I'm wary of starting a wild-goose chase with the dealer (since it's a pain in the neck to get it there). Maybe I happened to get a lower performing model, and, as Stig says, maybe I'll gradually get better performance over time. On the other hand, if I could be sure something is wrong I'd definitely want to get it figured out.
It must be frustrating thinking there is something a little off with your engine. .....
The engine, or the CVT - and the only CVT issue that would cause lowered mpg's and mph that comes to mind is a too narrow belt.
It's not  throwing any fault codes, correct?
Have performed the re-set with the throttle?
Performance did not change after your valve adjustment?
It's a hassle to get the bike to your dealer - but there is a socket under the battery  plate (3 screws) to plug in a Kymco diagnostic tool.  The read outs would surely spot something if seriously wrong.

Does your dealer have one ? Is he willing to do this quick check?
A few lbs of xtra air will lower your contact patch and you and scoot's comfort over rough roads....if gained mpg a fraction.IMHO 25/30☆

Stig
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:25:51 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Petey4

• 2015 Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 04:20:35 PM »
No, no fault codes or indicators showing up. Looks like my next step will be seeing if the dealer can check the diagnostics with the kymco tool, hopefully while I wait.

I can't help wondering whether my problems have something to do with my bike sitting on the showroom floor for more than a year. It showed only .1 mile, so it doesn't look like anyone even test rode it. But should they have been doing any preventative maintenance? Is it possible they actually replaced a part (like the CVT)? If so, they did not mention it. What about something in the exhaust system? That little tailpipe is too small for a potato to be stuck in there.

Anyway, yesterday's tweaks may have given me a little more pickup and a little less gurgly noise while accelerating, but, alas, I wasn't even able to break 49 mph on today's commute.

I never needed to adjust the valves -- just  checked them twice. One was slightly tighter than the other, but they both seemed close to the number.

When you ask whether I reset the throttle -- are you talking about cable slack or something else?

Thanks, all, for helping me think it through. We'll see what the dealer says about the diagnostics tool.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 07:39:18 PM »
Hello,

Not to get hopes wildly up - because my 4 yrs of experience with this LIKE200i is that these 're-sets' are not much more than superstitious in nature! :) ...but it can't hurt to try. You just might be the first to get the healing! Seriously - it can't hurt to give it a go.

This re-set is done if some stuff has been removed and reinstalled - (MAP, ISC, TPS or ECU) - or you just want to be sure:
In the battery box is a pink wire, probably. (some LIKE's may not have this )
1)Turn the key to the 'ON' position (do not start the scooter)

2) ground the pink wire to the negative battery post - or to a scooter 'ground' - the frame.

3) turn the key off, then remove the pink wire from the ground/battery post (above)

Another re-set for the TPS:

1) Turn on and off key (no start!) three times - each function (on & off) is held for at least 4 seconds.
"on 4+ seconds, off 4+ seconds, on 4+ seconds, off 4+ seconds, on 4+ seconds, off 4+ seconds - have a coffee"

Self-diagnostic Re-set:

1) Turn key on (no start!) and wait 10 seconds

2) Fully open throttle and hold for 10 seconds

3) Fully close throttle

4) After 5 seconds the light will blink twice

5) Key off, finish coffee.

My LIKE200i was 11 months old when I bought it. I think many of our LIKE's were purchased many months from their production date in China. They still ran fine. (there's a silver sticker under the right side skirt - visible with a torch)

At 950 miles - PSI in tires, Air filter (incl. foam cover) and that snorkel (w or w/o the reducer) are not your performance problem. There is a trouble shoot mention in serv. manual of a possible pinched fuel tank breather and clogged muffler. Both easy to check..
Main items in trouble shoot for poor high speed performance are;
#1 ECU
#2 fuel pressure regulator
#3 fuel injector    .... so maybe some Techron ? (but would that cause low mpg's ? doubt it)

If your brakes are not dragging, Thinking you need the diagnostic meter put on the scoot....in case it is simply a faulty ECU - which no DIY could ever find and fix without replacing the unit.

good luck

Stig

PS: yeah, scooters make all kinds of weird unmotorcycle-like noises. I just sing louder.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 07:56:48 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()