Author Topic: May have to give up rideing.  (Read 1066 times)

blue

• View Profile
May have to give up rideing.
« on: July 12, 2017, 07:02:28 PM »
Had back surgery back in dec. I may have to go back under the knife. in the mean time dr are telling me to take better care of my self along with my wife . this is the second time going threw all the pain that my back brings on. also all the immosionly stuff that comes with it. Is theres others out there that hand to give up part of there life like rideing to take care of your self.and how did you handle it.
  thinking of just saleing the scoot.......

sorry for the bad writing and spelling.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: May have to give up rideing.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 08:39:32 PM »
These docs using laser tech on you? Some around here are raving about how effective the laser is for back & knee surgery.

My spelling would suffer if I had to clench mt teeth just to deal with the pain. Don' sweat it!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
Blue, I simpathise with you
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 11:10:09 PM »
I have lower back problems too. Not a serious as yours i`m sure. I have a bulging disc that has always given me trouble. I got my back hurt when I was playing football in JH school. This was not a serious problem and it usually flared up on me about once a year for a day or two.
My problem is different now. About a year ago I had a pretty serious kidney stone attack. Ever since, my lower back has been messed up and aches when I do most anything. When I ride my scooter for more than two hours, I start to hurt bad enough I want to go home.
Now I use a heavy leather weight lifters belt and that helps a lot. My long rides are over I guess.
Try to think positive. A few years back I had three heart attacks. I thought I would never ride again because I was so weak. Over time I got better and can enjoy riding again.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 11:20:59 PM »
My heart goes out to ya Blue. Ill be praying for you and your wife. Dont even worry about the spelling and stuff. Its just not important.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 01:24:06 AM »
Wow Blue, that's sad news. It's easy to tell how much you enjoy your riding, and we know how much you'll  miss it if you have to hang up the keys.
A step at a time. See how things work out.
One thing's  for sure - we'll want you to keep being a part of this gang. Your scooter knowledge and experience are too valuable to lose!

You and the Mrs. are in our thoughts and prayers.
Regards,
Tom

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 02:12:06 AM »
Don't be hasty to sell your bike. Both of my hips gave out at the same time and my back has been a disaster since 1964. I got discouraged and hung up my helmet. I sold my geezer glide and Silver Wing. I figured 60 plus years of biking was all I had in me. Then one day I started walking without the walker and got better, could climb steps and get my legs up higher and higher. Then I saw this deal on my DT 300. Shore felt good to be back in the saddle again. I've added a Honda Shadow and , well just don't be to hasty. I'll keep you and your wife in my prayers. If it weren't for spell-check, you couldn't read this
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 02:56:18 AM »
I don't know what your final decision will be. But hang in there. And keep the faith. I really pray that you find relief from your pain first and foremost. IF you have to give up riding, just remember that  life never stays the same, and there's always something out there for you to enjoy. Continue to explore other interests. As an old saying goes, when one door closes, another opens. Be of good cheer my friend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 08:04:14 PM »
I don't know what your final decision will be. But hang in there. And keep the faith. I really pray that you find relief from your pain first and foremost. IF you have to give up riding, just remember that  life never stays the same, and there's always something out there for you to enjoy. Continue to explore other interests. As an old saying goes, when one door closes, another opens. Be of good cheer my friend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This^^^

You just never know. It's easy to get discourage. We humans for the most part are impatient. It'll be hard, but hold off on any decision until you have all the facts. In time you'll know then answer. Until then try and be positive. Seek out others who have/had back issues that found a way to keep riding. You may find an answer that keeps you riding. I pray it all works out for you blue.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 12:01:07 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. and prayers.Im going back to the dr. on the 26 of this month and that will tell all If I have to stop working or not to take better care of my self....

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 07:28:28 PM »
No matter what you decide, blue, please hang around here and keep us honest. We have you in our prayers and thoughts as you go through this surgery. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and God bless!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 06:41:38 PM »
The seat bolster on these new scooters, and other bikes as well, does bother my back.
It brings a forward lateral slap to what would only have been a vertical bump.

Without doubt, there is no comparison to the Harley Davidson Duo-Glide tandem seat.
My old 1959 FL with the rubber mounted handlebars and footboards would be similar to riding on a cloud.
( Does Not afford much precise control ! )

The Helix I ride today is described as a barcalounger on wheels, but does not even compare.
( Of course they are in a different weight class. )

All that being said, cycle riding tends to loosen body parts up that would otherwise become stiff and eventually atrophy.
I am far better off riding conservatively on short hops around town than not getting that bit of exercise.

All opinion, though... It will be a personal decision how your circumstance fits into all this.

Best
redk

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 07:31:06 PM »
Back issues are the pits. I had a couple of hiernated disc a few years back and it was painful to ride. I was stubborn and rode anyway. Did chiropractor therapy but the thing that helped me the most was the traction machine I bought. Hope you get it sorted out Blue. Folks just don't know pain until they've had to deal with back pain.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 11:50:17 AM »
Realy injoying the kind words.at times like this. I need that thanks all.Well the last dr apt.was a little more of bad news I may have another disk in my back pushing on a nerv that puts stress on my left side.Not good still working.But im the typ of guy that would rather man up and work befor giving up.I would go nuts siting around the house.One more dr apt to tell all.Realy hopeing for good news.small surgery I can deal with.But another big one .Then Im done working and injoy live the bestI can.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 06:14:30 PM »
Realy injoying the kind words.at times like this. I need that thanks all.Well the last dr apt.was a little more of bad news I may have another disk in my back pushing on a nerv that puts stress on my left side.Not good still working.But im the typ of guy that would rather man up and work befor giving up.I would go nuts siting around the house.One more dr apt to tell all.Realy hopeing for good news.small surgery I can deal with.But another big one .Then Im done working and injoy live the bestI can.

Listen to the docs.
I did the "Man up" thing 12 years ago, led to wheelchair for anything more than a few steps.
Same deal as you so don't wait for that disc to blow and do more damage.

All the best.
ALAN
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()