Author Topic: New Kymcos to come to U.S.  (Read 3653 times)

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
New Kymcos to come to U.S.
« on: July 12, 2017, 05:26:54 PM »
I have heard from a few Kymco dealers that the Xciting 400i and the Xtown 300i will, in fact, be coming to the U.S.
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
more choices
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 05:32:48 PM »
is a good thing. What i`m wondering about the 400 s is, with the extra horsepower, will weight gain negate the extra HP.
In other words, will a lighter weight 300cc fi scoot perform just as well as the heavier 400 s?.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

LidoCA

• View Profile
Re: New Kymcos to come to U.S.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 05:51:03 PM »
 Bummer that the XTown does not have the same 300cc engine as the GTI or the Downtown. Air cooled and less horsepower.  Kymco is dropping both of those bikes.  The Spade looks like a contender, as does the new Like.
Steve

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 08:03:51 PM »
It looks like Kymco will have some nice new scooters for sale.  The question is will there be any dealers left to sell them? 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
Re: more choices
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 12:04:57 AM »
is a good thing. What i`m wondering about the 400 s is, with the extra horsepower, will weight gain negate the extra HP.
In other words, will a lighter weight 300cc fi scoot perform just as well as the heavier 400 s?.

As far as I've read the 400 is "ABOUT" the same power rating as the Xciting 500 due to weight/engine design.
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 10:56:35 AM »
Bummer that the XTown does not have the same 300cc engine as the GTI or the Downtown. Air cooled and less horsepower.  Kymco is dropping both of those bikes.  The Spade looks like a contender, as does the new Like.

Not so sure about the air cooling.
Articles have differing specs.

http://www.kymco.co.uk/kymco/new/bikes/Scooters/2017xtown300iabs.htm#.WWdRR7EpCfA

It wont be as quick but what it does is "devalue" the DT300 on the resale market.
At 3999.00 with abs I'd say a old DT300 is worth about 2K tops.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 11:38:23 AM »

Not sure where you're getting air-cooled in regard to the X-Town, it does have less power though, really a step back in some regards, the specs are reminiscent of the older Sym Citycom.

It will be disappointing though if they're killing the GTI, I keep looking at those but haven't pulled the trigger.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 11:58:58 AM »
Not sure where you're getting air-cooled in regard to the X-Town, it does have less power though, really a step back in some regards, the specs are reminiscent of the older Sym Citycom.

It will be disappointing though if they're killing the GTI, I keep looking at those but haven't pulled the trigger.

The GTI is gone.
Fact is they sold more DT300.

AMAC
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:00:38 PM by AMAC1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 03:52:10 PM »
I do not understand these Kymco "managers." They have some good stuff but they hardly let a product mature before replacement instead of FIXING what is broke on basically good models. You all know what is wrong with existing models but none have been asked by Kymco. We all know what is wrong with many dealers and that HAS been addressed in some instances. We also know what is right about a lot of stuff and the organization of Kymco Taiwan and US. I am partial to the DT300i which is old news to you! Let's see what we could do with that one:
  1. Why no ABS in the US?
  2. Why not change the seat to give a little more legroom?
  3. Why not fix the vent valve problem? (applies to all models and brands)
  4.  Why not move the light in helmet tub UP so it actually lights to see stuff IN the tub?
Things that apply to other Kymco models:
  5.  Ditch the misleading model numbers (Yager 200i, Like 200i) and tell it like it is or make the displacement REALLY   CLOSE to the model number.
  6.  Edit owner's and service manuals to make sense and to agree with each other and actually reflect the model.
  7.  Include timing chain tensioning intervals in Maintenance sections of owner's and service manuals.
Things that can be done to facilitate these suggestions"
  8.  Engage some of Kymco enthusiasts and use some of their hard-learned knowlege.
  9.  Let some of our techies assist dealers when they are stumped ( good luck with this bright idea!).
 10. Ask us what we think before you introduce new models, remove existing models.

That oughta be good for a start! I'm not really impressed with their new models.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

LidoCA

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 04:41:34 PM »
 I must have misread.about the xtown being air cooled. I believe Crossbolt is right about the company. Western marketing is not their strongest attribute.
Steve

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 04:58:42 AM »
I must have misread.about the xtown being air cooled. I believe Crossbolt is right about the company. Western marketing is not their strongest attribute.
What western marketing? Lol.

That said,min all fairness with the exception of Suzuki, The other scooter manufacturers have thinned their USA offerings down to nearly nothing. Yamaha and Honda don't make anything much  above about 150 cc for 2017.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 12:53:18 PM »
That said,min all fairness with the exception of Suzuki, The other scooter manufacturers have thinned their USA offerings down to nearly nothing. Yamaha and Honda don't make anything much  above about 150 cc for 2017.

Weelll for the heavier and mid stuff, I like the newer B650, the BMW GT ain't bad either.  Then you should probably count the Honda NM4,  & the on again, off again Tmax.
From Kymco I am tempted by the GTI, but there were a few turn offs on it that have shied me away when it comes down to it, not a fan of under seat fuel fillers for a few reasons, my choice of black white or gray ..meh.. and the couple times I really was going to get one they were out of stock and couldn't get one in. 
The newer bigger bikes, I'll take a look since Kymco does build a good bike, but I think I'd go piaggio or possibly SYM in that class. (mini maxi's)

Far as other scoot mfr's go.  SYM has a nice line-up that the local dealer barely stocks (and with exception only the lighter stuff then..) 

Piaggio is doing a pretty decent job.  Love the new liberty 'cept it's a step slower than my HD...for you lovers of the old People 150...go check it out, you'll adore it.  Beyond that they have the BV350, the fly, the new MP3500 & the Typhoon so something for everybody, especially if count Vespa...now add dealers in more areas (mine's fine but I know that's uncommon) and you really might get something going.

Honda's PCX ain't bad, but has the same limitations as the liberty for power/speed. They do have the NM4 and other DCT's on the platform that kinda count as big scoots.  Nice bikes actually.  They even sell a few.

From Yamaha you're right.  The Smax is a nice little bike, but but that's really about it along with the hot & cold Tmax.
KWAK.  has nothing of course, even elsewhere they just have a rebadged Kymco DT

Suzuki's burgmans really do OK, if you count the hot and cold UH200 they cover all niches nicely.  Just wish they'd market them better.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

AMAC1680

• View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 01:49:15 PM »
For kymco this was a price point move on the bigger scoots.
the price was fast closing in on the Japanese scoots.

So the answer was to create "lesser" scoots to hit the number.
Shabby at best. Better off doing as Honda has done and just bail on bigger scoots i the US.

AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 05:01:53 PM »
Weelll for the heavier and mid stuff, I like the newer B650, the BMW GT ain't bad either.  Then you should probably count the Honda NM4,  & the on again, off again Tmax.
From Kymco I am tempted by the GTI, but there were a few turn offs on it that have shied me away when it comes down to it, not a fan of under seat fuel fillers for a few reasons, my choice of black white or gray ..meh.. and the couple times I really was going to get one they were out of stock and couldn't get one in. 
The newer bigger bikes, I'll take a look since Kymco does build a good bike, but I think I'd go piaggio or possibly SYM in that class. (mini maxi's)

Far as other scoot mfr's go.  SYM has a nice line-up that the local dealer barely stocks (and with exception only the lighter stuff then..) 

Piaggio is doing a pretty decent job.  Love the new liberty 'cept it's a step slower than my HD...for you lovers of the old People 150...go check it out, you'll adore it.  Beyond that they have the BV350, the fly, the new MP3500 & the Typhoon so something for everybody, especially if count Vespa...now add dealers in more areas (mine's fine but I know that's uncommon) and you really might get something going.

Honda's PCX ain't bad, but has the same limitations as the liberty for power/speed. They do have the NM4 and other DCT's on the platform that kinda count as big scoots.  Nice bikes actually.  They even sell a few.

From Yamaha you're right.  The Smax is a nice little bike, but but that's really about it along with the hot & cold Tmax.
KWAK.  has nothing of course, even elsewhere they just have a rebadged Kymco DT

Suzuki's burgmans really do OK, if you count the hot and cold UH200 they cover all niches nicely.  Just wish they'd market them better.
For now the t max is off again. I'd forgotten about the BMW. And does Piaggio still sell large scooters in the USA? Just wondering...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()