Author Topic: Overheating according to the bars / digital temperature gauge display  (Read 689 times)

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
My scoot showed 4 bars when I got off the highway as in overheat.

History:
Currently at 21,500 miles.  Only time other time I had an issue was when I changed the antifreeze at around 12K mi and did not get all the air out of the system.  Today in ~ 87 degree temps on the highway i noticed 3 / 5 bars lit - usually runs at 2 bars unless it is really hot out.  On the way home I noticed 4/5 bars and briefly 5 blinking bars / boxes.  Checked coolant and it was not low, also coolant in the reservoir was only lukewarm. 

UPDATE: I removed the thermostat and it took a while to warm up but the display showed overheating.  I rocked the scoot side to side to expel air with radiator cap off.  The radiator was not very hot.

UPDATE: Yesterday the scoot ran fine and today too.  Today temps were as high as 87 and I did a mix of highway and sitting in traffic.  No problems.  Also, yesterday I was at 2 bars (normal) and on a side street the gauge jumped to three then bars then back to 3... and two again.  I'm wondering if it is a loose wire or something?

Final Solution: replaced the head gasket then no more overheating issues.   I reinstalled the thermostat a few months later.  No problems even on the highway at full throttle in 85+ degree weather.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:18:23 AM by mrbios »
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()