Author Topic: Fuel Pump Relay or Cut off Relay  (Read 5879 times)

sk8architecture

• View Profile
Fuel Pump Relay or Cut off Relay
« on: July 10, 2017, 05:42:23 PM »
2015 Like 200I and I love it! 

A few weeks ago it would not start, since its a few years replaced battery still no start.  Then I realized fuel pump was not running.  I did the test procedure on Cyclepedia and everything pointed to fuel pump.  Replaced per Stig's plug and play information (thanks Stig).  Back and running for about a week.  No start and again did not here pump when I turn the ignition on.  Pulled apart again and ironically at that point it ran that night weird, I was tired so figured I put the seat back on the next day.  Next day no start so it was a intermittent problem so far.  I checked the power/ running to pump per cyclopedia and no power is getting to pump so this tells me that fuel pump relay has burned out?

I toggle the kill switch a few times, double checked grounds, checked fuse all seemed good.  I should probably run power direct to pump to confirm.

I didn't see a topic on the relay so started one a few ???? if anybody knows:
1.  Where is the relay located can't find it but I think its probably in the front with the ignition...shoot lots of screws and panels to take off.
2.  Any other ideas other than the relay? My only other though is to unwrap some of the harness where it was pinched down by the factory maybe a wire got exposed inside but if it was a short the fuse would pop.
3.  Where can I get this relay? I can't find it anywhere on the web all I can find is the ignition relay maybe it's called something else.

Fun Stuff!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Pump Relay or Cut off Relay
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 09:55:35 PM »
Per the manual......check >
1) Fuse B (10 A)
2) Fuel cut-off relay
3) ECU
Yeah, looks like that relay is in the scoot's 'chest', up front.
I'm searching with you ....found one for a DT300....same clips, 12VDC 8 A.
Will report back.
Stig

OK...here it is in a Kymco bag. Sadly part # not visible....but hopefully you can order it through kymcopartsmonster.com

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:38:16 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 06:17:19 AM »
38500-KHD8-900    Arbeits-Relais 20A D421    26,06 EUR*
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 12:11:42 PM »
Wondered about that, I had started hunting starter relays (but too many amps)...so, it's called a light relay on the monsterparts wiring loom schematic.
Looks like it might be near the horn.

SK8, when you go in there, how about taking some photos of your DIY so we can understand the best way to get into the front of the LIKE.
Yeah, cyclepedia has instructions - but they like to start by taking the top case off,  and letting the air out of the tires,  no matter where you're going on the scooter!

Good luck, Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

sk8architecture

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 02:45:04 PM »
Thanks for the part number and advice. I was having a heck of a time finding it.  Not even the mighty google could find "Kymco Like 200i fuel pump relay".  Maybe it's uncommon relay to break.  I will take photos and describe what parts to take off to get there to help out.  Cyclopedia wants you to take off almost all the body parts.  With work and kid duty probably won't get to it until this weekend so I will update later.  This scooter is easy to work on I can't imagine what the dealer would charge me.

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 08:20:07 PM »
Maybe you will get to this multifunctional relay (light, starter, fuelpump) with a little bit of luck and small hands by removing the trim cover ("tie") only. The tie is fixed with two philips screws only left and right from the handlebar column on the upper backside of the front cover.
If this doesn´t work you will have to remove more philips screws and one center bolt and spread the cover open to get in there.
But be carefull there, it´s brittle chinese hard plastic like yoghurt cups.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:22:40 PM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

sk8architecture

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 09:09:29 PM »
A little update on this.  First I ordered the part from Kymcomonster..... 27$ for the relay then 22$ for shipping.  Not cheap and I ordered the part last week and it still hasn't shipped yet.  I understand that it probably had to come in overseas to their store then ship to me.  No problem.

Vespbretta was spot on and all that was needed to remove is a few screws and the front cover and a bolt.  here is a pic of it open and the relay sits in the opening on the right side of the pic. Real easy to get to.  I verified its the relay with the wiring diagram. colors of wires line up and its the only 4 prong plug.  Also here are some close up pics of the relay.  Pretty simple and does not look unique at all.  Looks like its only a 15 amp relay.  So I ordered this 40amp relay from Amazon for $7 and will be here Wednesday:
 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FH7YP9I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

....seems to easy and hopefully it's plug and play for others out there.  Paying $22 for shipping on the OEM relay hurts plus the relay itself being $27.  That's two month's worth of gas money for my scoot!

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 10:05:21 PM »
Great pics. But I fear you won´t be able to install the amazon relay. Take a close look at its shape and form.
Very different from the Kymco relay. So I fear you will have to wait for the Kymco relay.  ;)
Cheers,
Robo

sk8architecture

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 02:41:32 PM »
I see what you mean now.  The outer plastic connection is different.  Maybe the actual Pin sizes for the electrical connection will be correct size that way with a little modification to the 7$ relay it will work.  Of course I need to also double check and make sure the switch pins line up the same way the OEM part is.  Worth a shot for 7$ while waiting for the OEM part.  Or could just cut the wires all together and get a new plug for the generic relay...but I won't go that far yet.

Thanks for the help and hopefully others will find this useful.  If I can easy mod the $7 relay I'll post pics for others.

sk8architecture

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 03:47:30 PM »
Well the 7$ one worked out.  The casement is slightly larger than the Kymco.  It almost site completely flush into the relay....maybe 1/16".  I can file a little off the cheap relay and it would be flush.  So it's somewhat plug and play.  Some  pitfalls are the clips don't work to lock the plugs together so electrical tape, zip tie, or something else to lock the plugs together.  It does not have the side clip which slips into the scooter frame so again maybe some 3M velcro or something else to modify it.  Although if placed right probably don't have to do either of the precautions noted above.

The cheap relay says 14VDC but on the bottom says 12V.... but the scooter's 12 volt activated it and the pump is running again.  I think I will not cancel my OEM one yet (it still hasn't shipped) just to have on the shelve for backup.

Bottom pic is the two relays next to each other.  The bottom relay is the Kymco OEM part.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »
It is always good to find other parts that will work on our scoots.
My ol' Yamahama motorcycle fuel pump has been delivering fuel with no issues for 3 years now in my Kymco..
Bearings, nuts, bolts, O-rings are some of the parts that I've found on line that work on my scooter (s) - I do like to support the official parts supplier - but draw the line on some of the little stuff.
Thanks again for your posts.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()