Author Topic: Rear valve stem replacement needed  (Read 1497 times)

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
Rear valve stem replacement needed
« on: July 03, 2017, 06:22:28 PM »
Although I put in a NEW 90° valve stem recently on tire change (~2 month ago), I verified today that this new valve stem is already leaking a tiny little bit where the brass part connects with the rubber part. Damn. How I found out? Well, I sprayed the rim/wheel/tire/valve stem with gas leakage soapy water spray. And finally I detected the very very tiny little bubbles dancing happily at the edge of where the brass connects with the rubber.  >:(
I should have left the oem valve stem where it was. Would for sure have been good for another 4 years. It was a PVR70 from Rim Master.
But instead I obviously  bought some cheap chinese noname crap replacement vale stems from a local tire dealer.
Tried to get new valve stems with quality today from a couple tire dealers in town. Most of them either didn´t have any or just the cheap crap.
Only one tire dealer had 1 piece of a chrome finished 90° valve stem for scooters from taiwan (WH PVR70). I bought it, but not sure if I should use it.
Or maybe better go with the short straight ones called TR412. Or with aluminium valve stems. ???

The other thing is to replace the valve stem... I asked a few tire dealers to do the job with c-clamps or hydraulic press at the bike without removing the whole wheel. No chance. Nobody is willing to do it. So far. But I will ask some more.

Worst case I will have to do it on my own crawling on the floor once again around that damn tire trying to get the job done correctly somehow.
This following videos shows how it could and should work with the c-clamps. But its a stiff and strong reinforced new Heidenau tire....

Homemade tire jobs on scooters can be a challenge and adventurous.... but to be honest, I am not too delighted for this unnecessary job.
 :(

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:57:39 PM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Rear valve stem replacement needed
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 06:40:56 PM »
Please believe me when I say I feel your pain! Given the huge PITA involved with tires coupled with the rear tire on these scoots is enough to think really bad words. Please let us all know what you decide.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 07:24:09 PM »
Thanks Karl!  :) And pls believe me, that I believe you.  ;D
Your mentioning to think really bad words was pretty much spot on. Words came to my mind that didn´t come to my mind I guess for decades.
 ;D Didn´t even know that these words were in my treasury of words.  ;D
But it is what it is now and I will have to find a fix and solution. And in the meantime I will have to check tire pressure more often and refill.

Will let you know the outcome when problem is solved.  ;)  And for gods sake - we men are born as problem solvers anyways, aren´t we.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 07:30:01 PM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 01:10:54 AM »
Well, Robo,

Now you've done it!
Caused a leak in your new German rubber! You likely did this in your last off-roading through the Austrian cactus's and tumble weeding.
Playing Steve McQueen - jumping barbed wire fences, etc.

Now you pay the Piper....and get down there on your sore knees and scrape your knuckles and do this little lousy job on your tire.
At least it is the rear tire - so there's lots of stuff in the way - just waiting for the flesh on your knuckles.

No, no - you did the right thing by having the stems replaced with your new Heindenaus.
That is the correct procedure....we both know that.

This is the guy who does a lot of our Burgman 400 how-to's.

C-Clamp, vise grip. Scraped knuckles.
I'd buy at least two of the valve stems, if grabbing and pulling with a vise grip! (you pull the head off with the vise grips - you won't be fit to live with for days, unless you bought a spare)

OK, you know we will be needing a video of this procedure....and please remember the Forum is PG-13 rated - so watch your language if speaking English. (if not , let it rip!)

Doesn't Heidenau or Michelin make these stems?

Best of luck....you know we enjoy your DIY's so much!
Regards, Stig

(PS: you could do what I did for 14 yrs with my old works VW Jetta - every week I'd go down and pay $.25 to put air in that leaking right rear Michelin tire. Sometimes I'd rotate it to the left front just for variety. Spinning it the wrong way didn't stop the leak as I'd hoped)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 01:18:46 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 11:36:39 AM »
HoHoHo amigos. Problem is already solved and valve stems changed. YES we can.
Assumed lousy job was easier than I thought. Used 2 c-clamps, a piece of wood and a vise grip. Plus some tire mounting paste.
Some scraped knuckles but no kneepain.
Being so easy I decided to do both tires at once.  ;D
Replaced it with straight short TR412S valve stems. Was a good decision. I am happy with them now. Should have used them already 2 month ago.
Have 2 pieces as spare parts now. ;D But I guess I wont need them.
Tested the stems with soapy water spray. Seems to be ok and sealed now. And much easier handling and more stable now when checking tire pressure and refilling.

Be aware of not buying cheap lousy crappy valve stems. See foto for comparision between oem stem and lousy replacement.
I learned my lesson now. I now consider these 90° degree angle stems as crap anyway. Will never use them again unless I must and will have no other choice.

My so perfectly balanced wheels might now be slightly out of balance again, because of the lighter stems, but I hope that this will not affect it much. We will see.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:56:43 AM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 11:37:27 AM »
2 more:
Cheers,
Robo

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 11:44:07 AM »
one more:
Cheers,
Robo

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 11:52:20 AM »
Nice job Robo!
Good pictures!
.....I  see only one drop of blood on the rear rim, so it went well.
You remain an inspiration to us LIKE'rs.
(glad to know this can be done without removing the wheel. I thought otherwise.)
Regards, Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 12:08:08 PM »
Yes it obviously can be done. But before having done that today, I asked several tire repair shops and motorcycle service shops if they were willing to do it my way (c-clamps). Only one of them was willing to do it my way but his next possiple day for an appointment would have beeen on the 20.07.2017....
The others all refused to do it that way because of fear of legal issues with that method.
So I decided to go for it myself. And succeeded luckily.
Huge advantage for sure was that I rode the scooter before the valve stem job, so the tires were warm and therefore softer. Not so stiff anymore as they were 2 month ago when installed cold.
Cheers,
Robo

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 01:48:58 PM »
Aw-RIGHT! You bit the bullet and got 'er done! Yes, good pictures which show the rest of us how to do a job WITHOUT removing the whole tire! Yea!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 07:59:23 PM »
Wow! That´s a quick and cool method to change a valve stem on cars and maybe also on some motorcycles / scooters.  8)  Just found this on youtube. Amazing.
Where can one get this cool tool?  8)

Available here for a proud price.  :o
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005K8E9FY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=L65GGCQHFFKB&coliid=I20GH8YUYYR0DN
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FEP60MS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AGGOY6BGGT99R

"Poor" Tom could have saved some bucks in 14 years buying and using this tool on his VW Jetta rim. 168,- USD in 14 years only for refilling air isn´t bad.  ???
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 08:34:38 PM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()