Author Topic: MyRoad 700i stalling issue  (Read 7514 times)

MJR

• View Profile
Re: MyRoad 700i stalling issue
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 03:55:56 AM »
Dropped the scoot off at the dealer in Riverside, should have their take on it by Wednesday.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 04:37:12 AM »
Here's a bit more detailed information.

I was emailing back and forth with the reps, I told them it needs a trunk light and likely a crank sensor, he asked for VIN and said it was still under warranty (thought it was parts only at this point but thanks to Stig posting Kymco warranty information I dug out my owners pack). The rep suggested working on it myself might void my warranty. I replied back that my 30 years of experience included making wiring harnesses for concept cars such as the Plymouth Prowler concept among many others not only that but 2/3 of that time as a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep mechanic specializing in A/C, electrical, and driveability.

So i decided to at least have a look myself so I removed the rear body panels (left them off when I took ithe to the dealer so they wouldn't have to mess with them as I did when it needed a shock). Tested power to the trunk light with a voltmeter, test light, and another 12 volt LED panel I had. All agree the voltage to the light is fine and the problem is with a failing LED in the light itself.

If I start the bike on the center stand cold it will run for 8 minutes, the engine will stall, and it does not want to start for several minutes. When it won't start I confirmed that I have no spark (used a spare plug against the cylinder head cover). Once the bike cools a bit I get spark back and the bike will run. The check engine light will flash out 2-2-2-2. Based on my years of experience working on Jeeps I suspect the crank sensor. Looking through the factory service manual a code 02 is loss of crank signal. So one of the tricks I learned many years ago with the Jeeps was when a crank sensor was a problem and the engine died when hot pouring some cold water on it allowed the engine to restart right away. I tried this on the outside of the MyRoad but the sensor is in the side case almost all the way. I removed the crank sensor bolt and ran the bike until it died. I immediately pulled the crank sensor out, dunked it into a glass of cold water for 5 seconds, wiped it dry, and put it back in. Result the bike would restart immediately rather than having to wait several minutes suggesting to me that is the issue. Crank sensors can fail two ways on the Jeeps. The early ones were a two wire small AC voltage generating signal. These would heat cycle over years eventually leading to the wire inside breaking. So they would get hot and go open circuit until it cooled down again. The later type (like the one on the MyRoad) used a 3 wire powered sensor. When these type failed you could either loose the signal from it or it could short out the power feed from the engine controller (5 volt in Jeeps but it appears Kymco uses 12 volts) which would pull down power to all the other shared power sensors which could also result in being unable to communicate with the engine controller via a scan tool (often those who didn't know that would like the engine controller was bad but all you needed to do was unplug the bad crank sensor and then you can communicate via the scan tool). Since I earlier got a code 02 (no crank signal) and 04 (no power to sensors) I suspect the crank sensor is shorting out the sensor voltage from the ECU affects the others.

The thing that really sucks here is this other guy in Escondido has the same two part failures as my bike and both have around 5,000 miles on them. His bike has been at a dealer in San Diego for two months now! I stated to the rep that this was very disconcerting and maybe they should offer some kind of extended warranty if these were going to have to be replaced every 5,000 miles.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 04:42:04 AM by MJR »
'14 White MyRoad 700i

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 01:23:39 AM »
Received a email this morning asking for the mileage on the scoot and that the rep would call Malcolm Smith Motorsports and check on it. Second email later that the bike is scheduled to be looked at tomorrow.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 04:50:13 AM »
Went out to Malcom Smith today to talk to the tech and advisor. The tech pulled the same code 02 I did, the only issue seems to be his information says it's the cam sensor (same part as the crank just used in the rocker cover). I showed him my Kymco manual it's a crank sensor but it will work in either place if he finds out its the crank one. I guess he pulled the rocker cover to check the tone wheel also which was fine. I guess the rep is out of the office this week so I said go ahead and order the parts and if there is a problem with Kymco I'll cover it. That way I don't have to wait a week if the reps out.

On a side note it sounds as though Malcolm Smith might drop Kymco. It sounds like they might nit be taking care of the dealers.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 11:28:21 AM »
Went out to Malcom Smith today to talk to the tech and advisor. The tech pulled the same code 02 I did, the only issue seems to be his information says it's the cam sensor (same part as the crank just used in the rocker cover). I showed him my Kymco manual it's a crank sensor but it will work in either place if he finds out its the crank one. I guess he pulled the rocker cover to check the tone wheel also which was fine. I guess the rep is out of the office this week so I said go ahead and order the parts and if there is a problem with Kymco I'll cover it. That way I don't have to wait a week if the reps out.

On a side note it sounds as though Malcolm Smith might drop Kymco. It sounds like they might nit be taking care of the dealers.
Dang MJ, hope you get this sorted.
Too nice a bike to be having issues again.
On a side note..
Malcome  Smith rings some kinda bell with me. Wasn't he the guy who did the Steve McQueen jump in the Great Escape?
He had some sort of connection with McQueen I'm pretty sure.

Anyway, that must be a big shop - and sad to hear they might be dropping Kymco. Scooter sales are not brisk anywhere I think - Kymco needs M.S. - more than M.S. needs to sell Kymcos.

Took the Burgman for coffee this morning just to keep things wetted down, still hoping to trade it for an ABS Forza w/low miles. Hope not to have too much competition with this....can't be that many folks looking to trade in that direction!? "I want smaller !"
Stig
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:45:25 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 04:02:29 AM »
Got a call from the dealer, parts came in, warranty repairs authorized, and should be done late Friday for pickup Saturday I hope. I'll be curious to see if the mechanic has to actually put the sensor in the crank location to fix it.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 02:51:53 AM »
I went and picked up the scoot today as they called and said it was ready. They replaced the trunk light LED and according the the paperwork the cam sensor and valve cover gasket. When I was there last time I told the guy if it was the crank sensor at least he could swap in the old cam sensor since they are the same part. So when I got it home I decided to have a look for myself. All the rear bodywork I had already removed before I took it in to them so I decided to pull the seat and center tunnel to check the work for myself. They did the repairs as stated on the paperwork but in looking at the crank sensor and connector I noticed it wasn't the same one that was in there when I brought them the scoot. I know this because the sensor that was in there had a problem with one of the tabs that holds the terminal in the connector (wasn't the problem), whether I had caused it or it was already a problem I don't know but I tried unsuccessfully to fix it before I took it in to the dealer. What would happen was if you unplugged the sensor and plugged it back in one of the terminals would back out of the connector. Then I just pushed it back in and it was ok. I unplugged that connector and all the tabs were intact I knew they had taken the old cam sensor they thought was bad and put it in the crank sensors place. So I am confident that my original diagnosis was correct and the crank sensor was the problem. Below is a photo of that now intact connector and 4 good terminal tabs.

I would like to say I am very impressed with Malcolm Smith's service department in the couple of times I've been in. Before I brought it home I looked it over and let it run for 15-20 minutes to make sure it was ok. I found one panel with a broken tab but it had already cracked on me a previous time I had it off so that not their fault. Also found one missing screw so I took the other side one in to show him what it looked like and Mike went back and found it. Very professional I think these guys are especially considering that the other owners MyRoad is still in the service department at a San Diego dealer and his was in a month before mine with the same problems.

I got the scoot home and went through putting all the bodywork back on then went out for a 45 mile ride down the coast and back up the freeway, all back to normal. After riding the Aprilia Atlantic 500 around this MyRoad seems blazingly fast, I LIKE IT!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 03:01:41 AM by MJR »
'14 White MyRoad 700i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 05:41:27 PM »
Yeay! I am REALLY am glad to hear your positive comments on a dealer and his shop techs. He and his boys need to be shown as a good example. You actually diagnosed this afliction and they acted on it! Really happy your ride is back.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()