Author Topic: CHECKING MY BELT?  (Read 1737 times)

Nireen

• View Profile
Re: CHECKING MY BELT?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 07:52:25 PM »
I did try that but nothing turned.

Nireen, try rotating the back wheel by hand.
Kat :)

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 08:04:31 PM »
I did try that but nothing turned.

Hmm. I must have put a spanner on the variator and turned it that way. Could have sworn I rotated the back wheel....I'm getting forgetful these days!

Mind you, at least I don't put my shorts on backwards :-)

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 08:15:10 PM »
Did you ever change your belt yet at 85,000 kms!
  I just started on my forth belt,  and Im on my 6th set of tires I think,  may be 7th, wont be long and Ill be doing the 8 th, set

when I check the belt I remove it off the pulleys , and bend it to see if there are cracks in between the cogs,  then I check the sliders and clean the variator faces and rear pulley,  putting it back on look for the arrows, as the belt is one way drive, and use lock-tight blue on the nuts

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 08:56:15 PM »
OK got it off but how now do I turn it so I can view the whole belt?
  if you want to turn it use a socket and rachet wrench, use leverage

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2017, 10:42:14 PM »

Yeah I saw some wee cracks in-between the groves. Not to bad though.  I take it than about every 20,000 km to change it. Well I have changed my back tire for the third time just a weak ago.  I have 13,000 km's only. :P
  I just started on my forth belt,  and Im on my 6th set of tires I think,  may be 7th, wont be long and Ill be doing the 8 th, set

when I check the belt I remove it off the pulleys , and bend it to see if there are cracks in between the cogs,  then I check the sliders and clean the variator faces and rear pulley,  putting it back on look for the arrows, as the belt is one way drive, and use lock-tight blue on the nuts
Kat :)

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2017, 11:32:40 PM »
Do not worry about the paper gasket that gets torn when you remove the cover. If you are anal about it you can squeeze some silicone on the sections that are missing some gasket material, which is what I do.

I see scoots at the rallies running with no CVT covers on them with no apparent harm so I don't see how a break in the gasket is anything to get exercized over. 

To remove the belt you probably will need to first remove the variator nut, which is a mo-fo. Go to youtube for videos that cover this.  By the way, it's the width of the belt that wears down, not the flats. Go to videos on this, too.
2009 GV 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()