Which gas do you run in your SXS?

Regular
5 (62.5%)
Mid Grade
1 (12.5%)
Premium
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Regular, Mid Grade, or Premium Gas?  (Read 3957 times)

jdub0813

• View Profile
Regular, Mid Grade, or Premium Gas?
« on: June 22, 2017, 05:05:25 PM »
I have read mix reviews on whether to run premium or not so my first fill up was mid grade.  Wondering what everyone else uses?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Regular, Mid Grade, or Premium Gas?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 06:35:05 PM »
Kymco engines are designed to run on 87 octane gasoline in this country. 85 octane above 3000 feet elevation. Higher octane than manufacturer recommends is a waste of money and returns lower performance.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 06:42:56 PM »
But I also read it doesn't affect it, so might be a waste of money, which isn't too much more say you spend 25 cents more a gallon so $2 every fillup?  But you get longer shelf life, meaning if you're not riding every day the, regular gas loses it's integrity over time.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 06:44:48 PM by jdub0813 »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 07:17:07 PM »
Use whatever grade you want. For what ever reason. I do not really care. Why ask the question if you are going to argue with the answers? This octane discussion was finalized in the 1920's by engineers and technicians developing what turned out to be some of the most highly refined aircraft engines in the world. Things have not changed since. What has changed is electronics which allow some enormous comression ratios on some surprisingly low octane fuel. Pilot training back when we had available 3 or 4 grades of avgas would tell us we COULD use gas of the next grade UP if our normal grade was not available. But NEVER use any grade lower. We were cautioned to expect LESS  PERFORMANCE using a grade higher because of the slower burning rate.

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »
Wasn't an argument, I  asked for people's opinion and I thank you for yours. I just mentioned that higher octane has higher shelf life so maybe a reason to use that?  I don't know, it's up for debate, which is the reason of my post.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 10:47:52 PM »
If the owners manual calls for 87 octane, that is what I would use. Karl is right, higher octane gas has a slower burn rate that decreases pre-detonation. (pinging). This slower burn rate decreases the engines performance. Higher octane has no other benefit and is unnecessary unless it is called for. As far as storing goes, I believe that is a separate issue best resolved by using non-ethanol fuel and perhaps a little SeaFoam.  In short, go with 87 octane, ideally non-ethanol.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 12:33:18 PM »
Absolutely, Mr. Paul! Seafoam, Sta-bil and such products lot cheaper than higher octane. Separate topic, definitely.

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 03:42:23 PM »
Okay, and I do use Seafoam periodically in all my vehicles.  Guess I will just stick to regular and keep using Seafoam periodically.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 05:48:26 PM »
You will NEVER have any problems with  any Kymco because of 87 octane fuel. Now, you may have a raft of problems caused by marginal battery/starting systems, stuck fuel vent valves or weird electrical gremlins!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »
when I drive 450i to the gas station it gets regular 87, if I add some from my spare gas container at home, it gets premium, my spare container (holds 7+ gallons) is fuel for a myriad of small power equipment, motorcycles, cars &  trucks, some of which use premium
RandyO
IBA#9560

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 11:28:28 PM »
Okay, and I do use Seafoam periodically in all my vehicles.  Guess I will just stick to regular and keep using Seafoam periodically.

Good plan!  :)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 06:41:04 PM »
"...higher octane has higher shelf life...." Says who?  A higher octane rating is strictly a measure of the fuel's pre-detonation ability, which high compression engines require or they will knock and possibly self-destruct under acceleration. The fact that 91octane is called "premium" and costs more doesn't make it better, more powerful, cleaner, etc. I wonder if the higher price for 91 is nothing more then Big Oil gouging us, like they did for a while when diesel was more expensive then gasoline. I know people, even mechanics, who believe 91 is better gas then 87.   "Hell, it's got a bigger number and costs more so it must be better, right?" Duh.
2009 GV 250

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 07:30:35 PM »
Many sites and mechanics... but like you said, who really knows as mechanics seem to be 50/50 about premium vs regular.  So I guess really it boils down to what I choose to do and I am just going to run regular with occasional seafoam from time to time.  I have always ran premium in my motorcycles and never once had a problem, so let's just test the Kymco with regular and see if I wasted money the entire time with my bikes.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 10:14:26 PM »
Many sites and mechanics... but like you said, who really knows as mechanics seem to be 50/50 about premium vs regular.  So I guess really it boils down to what I choose to do and I am just going to run regular with occasional seafoam from time to time.  I have always ran premium in my motorcycles and never once had a problem, so let's just test the Kymco with regular and see if I wasted money the entire time with my bikes.

Not a waste if your mfgr recommended a higher octane fuel. My older atv's all called for premium 91 octane fuel but the 450i just says regular fuel. I have used both 87 and 89 octane in it and see no difference.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 03:13:52 AM »

"Not a waste if your mfgr recommended a higher octane fuel. My older atv's all called for premium 91 octane fuel but the 450i just says regular fuel. I have used both 87 and 89 octane in it and see no difference."

The "difference" is the money you wasted buying higher octane for no valid reason. 
2009 GV 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()