Author Topic: Is this a great deal for a People 150?  (Read 1419 times)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Re: Is this a great deal for a People 150?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 01:56:59 PM »
Negotiating a price I think is separate from a commitment to buy I think, especially in this case.

And knowing how Craigslist is, I'm supposing the person selling it wouldn't have hesitated to sell it to someone else after that negotiation, even for the same price, if they just got there first.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 09:35:53 PM »
In this case it was no longer a negotiation. It was an agreement. The buyer offered $600.00. The seller accepted the offer. That constitutes an an agreement. I am not even going to address the legalities here. Not everything that is illegal is wrong, and not everything that IS legal is right. To offer a purchase amount to a seller then to withdraw that offer AFTER the seller has agreed to it is in my view, wrong.  A man honors his word by holding to the agreements he has made. I am struggling with having to explain this, it is so obvious to me.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

h2ou8n4

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 11:21:12 PM »
I'm a gun dealer (FFL) and I've done a lot of business over the phone, on a handshake, and on the internet. Here in Texas, we call a fellow who reneges on an agreement a "crawdad". It happens on occasion. But those gentlemen, once identified, don't do business with me again. We live with the choices we make.
When you're feeling mighty low
like your better days are past
Just take a ride in your underwear
and you'll feel better fast!

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 01:32:33 AM »
I definitely agree that the legalities here aren't important.

I understand not backing out of an agreement, but it's unclear that this is what happened.

When I was looking for a van to buy, I made a few offers for promising vehicles just out of my range. If accepted, I would have checked them out. There's no way that's a commitment to buy them, I hadn't even seen them.

And I'd be shocked if the seller would have turned down somebody who came by with cash to buy that scooter, telling them it was sold.

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 10:14:18 PM »
That's wonderful, MJR .

There's always exceptions to the rule, and you are indeed an exceptional person !
redk

Perhaps one day I'll type in my tale of the Craigslist accordion for entertainment.

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 10:21:54 PM »
Hypo...  they won't !
I have made arrangements to pick up an item I had agreed to purchase for a specific price, cash money.
When I arrived, the seller says it just left...  a guy came with cash and I did not know if you would show.

I fully understand many have a base strongly rooted in integrity.
It is wonderful.

We are all dependent upon it, yet when it fails, or even withers, serious damage may be inescapable.

Best to protect against that.
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()