Author Topic: Modifications for short passengers  (Read 2787 times)

CheesyRider

• View Profile
Modifications for short passengers
« on: June 18, 2017, 12:40:08 AM »
I just purchased a 2006 Kymco People 150 to replace the Agility 50 that I share with my 16 year old son.  I also have a 7 year old son who likes to go for short scooter rides.  Unfortunately I discovered that he can't reach the passenger footrest.  The People 150 has more passenger legroom than my Gold Wing!

Has anyone here with the same problem come up with a modification to help with short passengers?
2006 Kymco People 150

h2ou8n4

• View Profile
Re: Modifications for short passengers
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 01:08:06 AM »
I don't know what your passenger peg/footrest arrangement is but if it is like a conventional motorcycle peg, there are adjustable peg kits available that can change the level 2-3 inches up or down. Google adjustable passenger pegs and see what comes up.
When you're feeling mighty low
like your better days are past
Just take a ride in your underwear
and you'll feel better fast!

CheesyRider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 08:12:22 PM »
Thanksfor the reply h2ou8n4!  They aren't really like motorcycle foot pegs, so I don't think a motorcycle adjustable peg kit by itself will work.  I have an idea that involves a homemade bracket combined with a motorcycle peg extension kit.  As you can see by the photos, there is a lot of space between his foot and the stock passenger foot peg.

If I can't figure out a solution, I'll just give him rides on my wife's BMW R1200R after the Agility 50 is sold. He can reach the footpegs on that machine, but it seems like overkill for short low speed rides to the park.  I think it will be at least 3 more years until I take him for a rides at higher speeds.

2006 Kymco People 150

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 05:50:26 AM »
... As you can see by the photos, there is a lot of space between his foot and the stock passenger foot peg...
Get him a pair of spurs and let him sink those puppies into the plastic side panels for a better grip.  ;)
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

h2ou8n4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 11:10:48 PM »
Great pix and I see what you mean. Perhaps you could do what I do with my 90 lb wife; I just scootch back and put her in front of me...plenty of floor space up front. Our Compagno 110i doesn't have a foot brake, like most Kymcos, so I put my feet on the rear pegs and off we go!

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 11:25:40 PM »
Perhaps you could get a wide strap and make a simple stirrup to help support his feet. Just make loops on each end for his feet and he sits on the strap across the seat. (Or you could attach the strap to the 10mm bolts under the seat for support )
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

h2ou8n4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 11:29:43 PM »
Perhaps you could get a wide strap and make a simple stirrup to help support his feet. Just make loops on each end for his feet and he sits on the strap across the seat. (Or you could attach the strap to the 10mm bolts under the seat for support )

so clever, Mr.Paul!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 12:59:39 AM »
Man that's a pretty finish on that scooter!
Love the color.
Little fellow ATGATT'ed ?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CheesyRider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 01:47:15 PM »
Great pix and I see what you mean. Perhaps you could do what I do with my 90 lb wife; I just scootch back and put her in front of me...plenty of floor space up front. Our Compagno 110i doesn't have a foot brake, like most Kymcos, so I put my feet on the rear pegs and off we go!

That would probably work for the short rides we take.  Unfortunately, I've read several stories of people being charged with child endangerment for riding with a child in front of them.

Very interesting idea!  However, I would be a little concerned about his feet getting hung up on the straps in a crash.

Man that's a pretty finish on that scooter!
Love the color.
Little fellow ATGATT'ed ?
Stig

Thanks!  The color just happens to match the open face helmet my 16 year-old son purchased to use on the old scooter.  But, he bought a full face hi-vis helmet to use on the much faster People 150.

Yep.  Those Crocs are DOT approved!  Actually, I probably over do it on the gear.  For our short low speed scooter rides he wears a full face helmet, protective knee pads, elbow pads, and hand/wrist protection.  And, real footwear instead of Crocs.

It turns out if I still as far forward as possible, he can just reach the pegs.  It's not very comfortable for me, but should be okay until he gets a bit taller.
2006 Kymco People 150

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 02:45:30 PM »
Hi viz helmet is such a good idea.
Some say our helmets are the most visible gear on a rider.
After noticing fellow riders, I  agree with that statement.
Good on you for gearing him up!
Saw a policeman ticketing a rider with a helmetless young passenger the other day. Rider was not permitted to ride off with him back there after the citation was written.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

hikerkat

• 2007 Kymco People 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 10:24:20 AM »
I had a guy in Canby, OR make these aluminum bars up for me.
Those are universal fit motorcycle pegs, and they can be moved all up and down the bars.

Kathy
2007 Kymco People 150

CheesyRider

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 02:20:51 PM »
That is a clever solution!
2006 Kymco People 150

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 05:37:41 PM »
Excellent!! :)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 04:57:49 AM »
I had a guy in Canby, OR make these aluminum bars up for me.
Those are universal fit motorcycle pegs, and they can be moved all up and down the bars.

Kathy
2007 Kymco People 150
That is a brilliant idea! Go to the head of the class!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()