Author Topic: Performance Air Filter for 700i?  (Read 1461 times)

jdub0813

• View Profile
Performance Air Filter for 700i?
« on: June 13, 2017, 02:26:08 PM »
Just wondering if anyone out there know what or where and if you can get a performance air filter for the 700i?  Looked on K&N hoping to find something but didn't.

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Performance Air Filter for 700i?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 03:18:52 PM »
     You might want to reconsider the K&N filter if you find one, those that live in very dusty areas do not recommend them!  On other forums where the riders are out west in desert like locations they swear by paper type filters as the dust is so bad that oil coated filters clog really quick. The fabric on the K&N is even worse. They are a great filter for other engines but when it comes to serious offroad....not recommended.

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 04:06:21 PM »
     You might want to reconsider the K&N filter if you find one, those that live in very dusty areas do not recommend them!  On other forums where the riders are out west in desert like locations they swear by paper type filters as the dust is so bad that oil coated filters clog really quick. The fabric on the K&N is even worse. They are a great filter for other engines but when it comes to serious offroad....not recommended.

Thank you for the insight, didn't think of that.  Currently there is the oily foam one installed.  I blew it out but wondering for replacements or upgraded ones?  Can't seem to find one.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »
     The type of filter that Kymco uses sometimes are listed by size, not for a specific machine. In my old atv days I used "UNI" filters with good results but had to order based on inside diameter/outside diamenter and length. The ID and length would be the most critical. I don't ride in extreme dust at all so any good filter works for me, I like K&N oil filters but there atv/utv air filters have had issues with clogging up.

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 07:35:53 PM »
Thank you for the insight, yeah I don't ride too much down dusty roads but definitely better safe than sorry.  Only thing is it's a weird L shaped filter and screen so probably not very common.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 12:43:47 AM »
   Your 700 might be different than my 450i, mine is just a simple round cylinder with another round cylinder prefilter that slips over the original. Held in place with a hose clamp.

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 11:51:50 AM »
Yeah I guess they are different.  I have attached a picture of what mine looks like...

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 03:41:27 PM »
   Wow that is really different, your correct, you may have a tough time getting a performance filter like that. On the bright side though, those types of filters are highly regarded as doing an extremely good job in especially dusty conditions.

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 03:47:09 PM »
Well I guess that's a good thing if that's the case.  But yeah finding a replacement might be difficult and may need to go through dealer.  We will see I guess.  I will try and wash and blow out and make that one last.  Do you keep those oiled at all?

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 07:16:27 PM »
   I am fairly certain that you don't oil those types of filter, with that said it appears to be a pleated paper type of filter, is that correct?  Do read in the manual to know for sure!!

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 07:38:48 PM »
It was a foam and felt oily when I took it out to clean it.  And that picture is the only thing in the manual about the filter.  I am hoping the shop manual that should be here Monday will tell me more, as well as a diagram for the speedometer/odometer so I can try and get that working again.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 11:44:40 PM »
   If it is foam then it definitely needs a coating of filter oil..

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 02:42:51 PM »
Thank you, I just bought a cleaner and oil for it so should be set there.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 09:16:27 PM »
    Dawn dish soap works very well as a cleaner for the foam filters and won't harm the foam and yes it is much cheaper than the spray cleaners.  Just be sure it is dry before oiling and reinstalling the filter. Some people saturate their filter in oil then squeeze the excess out, but I have found just spraying the outside of the foam then working it in, with the filter in a zip lock bag (to protect your hands) works even better. Never had any dust get thru, and you use a lot less filter oil.

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 12:08:00 PM »
Yeah I heard about dawn dish soap as an alternative.  I just bought a combo that came with cleaner and oil spray.  Probably will go to soap after.  I appreciate the insight!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()