Author Topic: Instead of riding, I've been doing this...  (Read 2052 times)

GLV55

• View Profile
Instead of riding, I've been doing this...
« on: June 12, 2017, 04:30:18 AM »
...live-trapping a bunch of foxes! We have a family of the critters living about a block away, and they are killing all of the chickens in the neighborhood. So far, we have trapped 4 out of 12 and released them together out in the woods, way out in the hills away from other chickens. That also means that we have had to dig down and put wire under all the coop fences to keep the foxes from digging under and getting to our hens. We are lucky and haven't lost any chickens yet, but many neighbors have had their flocks completely cleared out. Hopefully in a few days we will have most of them trapped and released, and I can get back to riding.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Re: Instead of riding, I've been doing this...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 04:55:38 AM »
You could combine your fox hunting with riding ya know...Tally Ho!! :D
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 10:22:01 AM »
A few years ago I started shooting a documentary on wild foxes that moved into a county park around a chain of lakes near my town. I had a camera with night-vision and though I had a great night of shooting I discovered that my recording function was broke. In the days and weeks that followed I never saw the foxes again, and suspect the county may have trapped and removed them as well.

Despite being predators they're beautiful creatures, with a behavioral tendency that's somewhere between a coyote and a dog. One came up to me about 3-4 meters away for the food I brought out one night. Still wish I had that footage.

- Wolf

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 10:27:37 AM »
...live-trapping a bunch of foxes! We have a family of the critters living about a block away, and they are killing all of the chickens in the neighborhood. So far, we have trapped 4 out of 12 and released them together out in the woods, way out in the hills away from other chickens. That also means that we have had to dig down and put wire under all the coop fences to keep the foxes from digging under and getting to our hens. We are lucky and haven't lost any chickens yet, but many neighbors have had their flocks completely cleared out. Hopefully in a few days we will have most of them trapped and released, and I can get back to riding.
Good luck there GL,
Will watch for score updates.
Have seen 2 in 40 yrs in these parts. Pretty animals...but understand the problem they are  causing.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 01:42:51 PM »
We have red fox around here as well as coyotes and one rumored black panther (four-legged). Most people just shoot whatever they think is causing a problem. It is rural Tennessee so live with it! Kids went berserk years ago when the state got involved removing beaver (four-legged) by trapping under water and drowning. Got on TV and got them to live trap and relocate! Beaver came back in droves all over the deep south!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 04:28:37 PM »
They are beautiful creatures, and I really don't want to harm them at all. (Old softie, I guess) We are fortunate enough to have an abundance of wild land where they be released and thrive without having to encroach upon the local populace and their livestock. Wolf, I also had one come up to within 10 feet of me and we just had a stare-down for a few minutes. I would love to see some of your footage. I will keep updating the score, Stig. (Too rainy last night for man or beast to be out, so nothing today.) Tromper, my scooter wouldn't make it through the fields around here chasing the foxes. It does sound like fun, though.
2014 Lance PCH 150
Nampa, ID

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 05:18:29 PM »
Can't say I blame them, I like chicken too, KFC, that is.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 10:33:55 PM »
Years back we liked our hens a lot.
They helped us provide quality food for our growing sons.

This is not a fox tale, though... and there is not a nice ending, either.

Family of raccoons cleaned out 13 hens and our rooster in about 3 weeks before I was able to tree a couple of them at night and bring em down with shorts by flashlight. Big ole coon...  they were eatin good.

It's really a disappointment to eat storebought eggs after eating eggs from free range hens.
redk

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 10:54:07 PM »
Years back we liked our hens a lot.
They helped us provide quality food for our growing sons...
Family of raccoons cleaned out 13 hens and our rooster in about 3 weeks before I was able to tree a couple of them at night and bring em down with shorts by flashlight...
It's really a disappointment to eat storebought eggs after eating eggs from free range hens.
redk
My daughter had a couple of her hens taken out by a raccoon...it wasn't pretty; they really left a big, bloody mess.

We also love our hens' eggs and would hate to lose them and be forced to go back to store-bought as well. We never have to guess about what, when, or how those eggs were produced.

Still setting the traps, but no more foxes the last few nights. Maybe they got the hint and trotted off to other areas. I will keep trying for a while, though, just to make sure.
2014 Lance PCH 150
Nampa, ID

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 11:19:59 PM »
Big ole coon...  they were eatin good.

At first I read that as "they were good eatin".

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 11:23:45 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Quote from: Redk on June 14, 2017, 03:33:55 PM
Big ole coon...  they were eatin good.

At first I read that as "they were good eatin".

;D ;D ;D
Ha ha, I did the same thing - had to do a double take and read it again.
2014 Lance PCH 150
Nampa, ID

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 11:24:08 PM »
More pertinently, I remember hearing about somebody rigging up something so there'd be a moving light (the kind they'd use when they're out there) to keep lions away. I wonder if something like that would work with foxes or raccoons.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 11:26:57 PM »
More pertinently, I remember hearing about somebody rigging up something so there'd be a moving light (the kind they'd use when they're out there) to keep lions away. I wonder if something like that would work with foxes or raccoons.
At this point, I'd be willing to try anything. We do have motion sensor lights that come on when they walk around that area, but it doesn't seem to phase them at all. They are more like, "Hey, thanks for the light - it was a little dark and I couldn't see the chickens real well."  ;)
2014 Lance PCH 150
Nampa, ID

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 04:20:50 AM »

Foxes, it might.  They are real skittish. From what I've seen.

Coons get very bold and will get aggressive, too.
Be cautious !
redk

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 02:39:03 AM »

Or  they'll chase it like cats with a laser pointer :) (Get video if this happens)

Foxes, it might.  They are real skittish. From what I've seen.

2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()