Author Topic: Glove box door stuck  (Read 2970 times)

hoodellyhoo

• View Profile
Glove box door stuck
« on: November 01, 2016, 06:53:43 PM »
Any ideas for how to open a stuck glove box door? I turn the key and there is resistance (i.e. it seems the release mechanism is functioning). So far the only thing I have tried is to fashion a hook out of some wire and use that to pull on the door while turning the key at the same time. I pulled as hard as I dare with no results. What else can I try?
2007 People S 200
1970 BSA Royal Star
1972 Honda CB350F
1965 Honda S65

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Glove box door stuck
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 08:51:09 PM »
I just looked at mine....turning the key to the right lifts a plastic latch that releases the metal 'hoop' attached to the glovebox door, which lets it fall open.

I hear a distinct click when after the key has been turned to the right to release the door you release the key and it returns to the original position. That 'click' tells me that the key is making the latch lift...do you hear the 'click' after you release the key?

I assume you've tried pushing in on the glove box door to help it release? Trying to jiggle it while the key is turned to the right?

Always hoping the cable releases to the glove box and seat release don't break...if they do gaining access to fix is difficult...
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 05:09:17 AM »
If it comes open a little it might be something caught in the hinges.
I've had that problem a couple times and manged to get in enough to pull it free.
I did eventually figure out that I could slide my registration into the space behind the clear plastic and block the two little holes that let stuff slide out of the compartments in the glove box.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

hoodellyhoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 12:59:05 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I hear a distinct click when after the key has been turned to the right to release the door you release the key and it returns to the original position. That 'click' tells me that the key is making the latch lift...do you hear the 'click' after you release the key?

I assume you've tried pushing in on the glove box door to help it release? Trying to jiggle it while the key is turned to the right?

Always hoping the cable releases to the glove box and seat release don't break...if they do gaining access to fix is difficult...

I can't recall hearing a "click", but when I get out of work today I'll try pushing in while turning the key.
2007 People S 200
1970 BSA Royal Star
1972 Honda CB350F
1965 Honda S65

hoodellyhoo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 12:38:43 PM »
I'll try pushing in while turning the key.

Tried it yesterday and no dice. Must be a broken cable.

Bugger  >:(
2007 People S 200
1970 BSA Royal Star
1972 Honda CB350F
1965 Honda S65

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 04:28:45 AM »
Yea if you turn the key and listen to the latch you will hear something, if not issue with the cable
ALL STOCK

hoodellyhoo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 12:26:50 AM »
Time for an update. I bought a replacement cable a few days ago. In preparation for it's arrival I went to start disassembly on the scoot today. When I shined a light in through the front vent I could plainly see the cable wasn't connected to the door latch. I turned the key and could see the cable end moving so I knew it wasn't broken. From there it was a simple matter of figuring out how to remove the front plastic cover and then re-inserting the cable into the latch arm. Got it all buttoned up and it works a treat.

I know one of the previous owners went down on this scooter and I'm pretty sure some of the plastics were replaced as a result . I suspect that whoever replaced those body parts simply forgot to re connect the glove box cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 People S 200
1970 BSA Royal Star
1972 Honda CB350F
1965 Honda S65

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 07:32:25 PM »
thanks for the update...always good to hear how a problem was resolved.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()