Author Topic: Trying To Decide. Kymco Uxv 450i or 700i  (Read 4066 times)

superrman77

• View Profile
Trying To Decide. Kymco Uxv 450i or 700i
« on: August 18, 2018, 03:14:29 PM »
Well guys I have been browsing on this forum for awhile.  I am wanting to purchase my first utv.  I grew up riding quads and I am at the age where one of these units would fit the bill perfectly.  I am wanting to get back into trail riding again and do my fair share of hunting also.  I will be using it around the house as well.  I am having a hard time deciding which one to get.  It seems that the 450i is very popular.  More so than the 700i.  Having the option of power steering factory or aftermarket seems nice on the 700i.  But from what I have read many riders say that the 450i steering is awesome and you don't need it.  I had a 300 bayou growing up with the open diff and it still tore up the yard so I don't know if the benefit of the turf model is that substantial.  I have a little girl who is 3 and will be wanting to jump in riding around the yard.   Is there enough room for 2 adults and a small child in the 450i?  Any feedback and comments about both units would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Trying To Decide. Kymco Uxv 450i or 700i
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 05:06:48 PM »
I can only give my opinion, you need to make your own decision. I was looking for a smallerUTV so I choose the 450i and have no regrets. I also wanted a bench seat, at my age bucket seats are to much hassle getting in and out for yard work. The 450i will be a very tight squeeze for 2 adults and a child, but bckets seats would also create a problem for a third person. I also like the narrower body on the 450 for trail riding. To many olaces the wider 700 may not fit. Top speed has very little difference and I rarely ride above 30 mph anyway. Towing and load ratings are not much different or at least they werent when I bought mine. For the most part the 450i has been bullit proof with proper care. Unless I just wanted a larger machine I can see no reason for going biggercthan the 450i, but that is for me! I have never been anyplace where I needed more!

vernfirz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 06:14:48 PM »
I was in the same predicament.  I haven't bought it yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm going with the 700.  I'll use mine for mostly trail riding with the girlfriend.  We'll load it with coolers, extra clothes, etc.  Not that I need a 450 for that, but personally I feel better with the 700.  I take pretty good care of my equipment, so when I trade it in 2-3 years maybe the 700 will be worth a bit more than the 450. Who really knows though.   And I think I'm one of the few that actually prefers bucket seats.  To each their own.  I'm hoping to get mine before the latest incentives expire.  I believe it's 1.9% for 36 months. 

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Dayooper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 07:16:44 PM »
"I am wanting to get back into trail riding again and do my fair share of hunting also. "
If more hunting than trail riding I would go with the 450i as the smaller dimensions are better suited for tight spots, turn-arounds, and off-trail wide arounds. Weigh this against more space of the 700 but I've been able to pack a lot into my 450 when needed.
If more trail riding I would go with the wider wheel base in the 700i, especially if you like to open the throttle

"I will be using it around the house as well. I had a 300 bayou growing up with the open diff and it still tore up the yard so I don't know if the benefit of the turf model is that substantial."

Balance this against question 1. Go with less aggressive tires and not cranking the wheel will assist more than the turf mode (IMO) You're still talking a 1,000lb+ machine plus cargo & passengers, which isn't friendly to soft soils.

"Having the option of power steering factory or aftermarket seems nice on the 700i.  But from what I have read many riders say that the 450i steering is awesome and you don't need it."   
The steering at any kind of speed is spectacular without power steering. At a stop or on three point turns is another thing all together.

"I have a little girl who is 3 and will be wanting to jump in riding around the yard.   Is there enough room for 2 adults and a small child in the 450i?"
Fine when she's three - not so much beyond 5 y/o I would think. Counter intuitive and not recommended but removing the seat belts assists with bench space. I'm like airshot tho and never really open the throttle up.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 10:52:22 PM »
I think the smaller 450i is the better work horse for utility use, the larger 700 would be the better recreational machine

just my opinion
RandyO
IBA#9560

jwad1982

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 01:06:35 AM »
Hey new to the forum.  I just picked up the 2018 450i Turf Model.

poorboy1964

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 05:27:43 PM »
I'm one of the few 700 guys and I love it. We all use the machines differently and the 450 wouldn't have worked for me the ground clearance is to low In the 700 with 26" tires I still drag and bottom out. and I wanted the back seat option which has been really handy a few times I end up with three adults more than I thought I would.

jew8201

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 01:34:04 PM »
@Superrman77 not sure if you’ve made your decision yet. Maybe I can help and give you another perspective. I am a former 450i owner. Many here don’t know it. But I traded my 450 at the end of spring this year for a 2018 Honda pioneer 500.

First the Kymco line of UTVs are great machines. Very solid and well made. They are under appreciated and under valued in the market today. Prior to the 2018 model year the 459 in my opinion was the obvious choice. I had my 450 for a year and a half. It did everything I asked it to and then some. It’s very torqy that 443cc engine is bullet proof. But the machine just felt heavy to me and the handeling and steering could of been better. It wasn’t awful by any means but there is room for improvement. I used for the same ways that you described. Over all it’s a great machine. One other thing I hated it’s the height that the bed tilted. It couldn’t dump a load of dirt for nothing-still had to take it out and the rear corners of the bed things always got hung up there. Why not make the tailgate the full width of the bed? I don’t know how big you and your wife are but two average adults and a small child can fit fine on the bench seat to putt around in the yard. The 450 is bigger than you think when you get into the woods. It’s 56” wide and by it not having a tight turning radius it can be challenging. Just my experiences. Up until 2018 when Kymco updated their off road lineup the 450 was the better choice. The 700 is not that much bigger than the 450. The 2018s have much better seats in the 700. They’re just a nicer machine all together now. Better suspension available on both. If I bought Kymco again it’d be a base model 2018 700. There is no better value on the market than a base model 700. If you feel you need power steering you can always add it later for not a lot of money (500-700 dollars I think) it really comes down to do you want bench vs bucket seats and then the bed. The 700 has a much better bed. Oh the other thing I didn’t like about the 450 was the cheap plastic snap on hood cover and the intergrated plastic compartment on the tailgate. Darn thing would never stay fastened. This might have been improved on the new ones I’m not sure. Overall I did enjoy my 450. It was a great machine. And I’m sure either Kymco model would serve you well.

Now for those wondering at this point why I traded for a Honda pioneer 500. Well it’s a honda for one. (Yes airshot I know Kymco builds stuff and parts for everyone out there lol) I felt like in the long run hanging on to a machine and paying it off the Honda would just service me better. The dealer network is vastly stronger for Honda. Kymco’s dealer network is improving but it’s still inferior to the bigger names. And I still ask myself why did several of the Kymco regional sales reps leave the company to go to sportsman country? (Massimo linhi bennche etc) The other reason I switched to the Honda was the transmission. I wanted the true 5 speed geared tranny. Has auto mode and manual mode via paddle shift. My 450 was the first cvt I had owned. I just wasn’t a fan. All my atvs were manual auto clutch 5 speed foot shift. The Honda is also smaller in size at 50” wide. It just fits my needs better. You could argue I gave up a lot in going with the Honda. No bed no front diff locker etc. but there is a aftermarket locker now available if really needed. I rarely used the diff lock on any atv I had or my 450 so wasn’t concerned with it. I actually like the HUGE rear rack on the pioneer 500. So many options. I am eventually building me a nice box. But so far no regrets  the switch.

So to recap-went with Honda pioneer 500 because 1. it’s a “Honda” 2. Dealer network service/parts avail. 3. True geared transmisson. 4. Smaller in size overall. 5. Better turning radius and handling. (Now it will beat up at speed suspension is better on the 450. But Elka shocks have a fix for that ;-)

In the end either Kymco will make you happy. As stated if I bought kymco again I’d get a 2018 base model 700 in the color of your choice! Good Luck!!! And let us know! There’s pics of my red 450 on here some where.

superrman77

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 01:27:44 PM »
@Superrman77 not sure if you’ve made your decision yet. Maybe I can help and give you another perspective. I am a former 450i owner. Many here don’t know it. But I traded my 450 at the end of spring this year for a 2018 Honda pioneer 500.

First the Kymco line of UTVs are great machines. Very solid and well made. They are under appreciated and under valued in the market today. Prior to the 2018 model year the 459 in my opinion was the obvious choice. I had my 450 for a year and a half. It did everything I asked it to and then some. It’s very torqy that 443cc engine is bullet proof. But the machine just felt heavy to me and the handeling and steering could of been better. It wasn’t awful by any means but there is room for improvement. I used for the same ways that you described. Over all it’s a great machine. One other thing I hated it’s the height that the bed tilted. It couldn’t dump a load of dirt for nothing-still had to take it out and the rear corners of the bed things always got hung up there. Why not make the tailgate the full width of the bed? I don’t know how big you and your wife are but two average adults and a small child can fit fine on the bench seat to putt around in the yard. The 450 is bigger than you think when you get into the woods. It’s 56” wide and by it not having a tight turning radius it can be challenging. Just my experiences. Up until 2018 when Kymco updated their off road lineup the 450 was the better choice. The 700 is not that much bigger than the 450. The 2018s have much better seats in the 700. They’re just a nicer machine all together now. Better suspension available on both. If I bought Kymco again it’d be a base model 2018 700. There is no better value on the market than a base model 700. If you feel you need power steering you can always add it later for not a lot of money (500-700 dollars I think) it really comes down to do you want bench vs bucket seats and then the bed. The 700 has a much better bed. Oh the other thing I didn’t like about the 450 was the cheap plastic snap on hood cover and the intergrated plastic compartment on the tailgate. Darn thing would never stay fastened. This might have been improved on the new ones I’m not sure. Overall I did enjoy my 450. It was a great machine. And I’m sure either Kymco model would serve you well.

Now for those wondering at this point why I traded for a Honda pioneer 500. Well it’s a honda for one. (Yes airshot I know Kymco builds stuff and parts for everyone out there lol) I felt like in the long run hanging on to a machine and paying it off the Honda would just service me better. The dealer network is vastly stronger for Honda. Kymco’s dealer network is improving but it’s still inferior to the bigger names. And I still ask myself why did several of the Kymco regional sales reps leave the company to go to sportsman country? (Massimo linhi bennche etc) The other reason I switched to the Honda was the transmission. I wanted the true 5 speed geared tranny. Has auto mode and manual mode via paddle shift. My 450 was the first cvt I had owned. I just wasn’t a fan. All my atvs were manual auto clutch 5 speed foot shift. The Honda is also smaller in size at 50” wide. It just fits my needs better. You could argue I gave up a lot in going with the Honda. No bed no front diff locker etc. but there is a aftermarket locker now available if really needed. I rarely used the diff lock on any atv I had or my 450 so wasn’t concerned with it. I actually like the HUGE rear rack on the pioneer 500. So many options. I am eventually building me a nice box. But so far no regrets  the switch.

So to recap-went with Honda pioneer 500 because 1. it’s a “Honda” 2. Dealer network service/parts avail. 3. True geared transmisson. 4. Smaller in size overall. 5. Better turning radius and handling. (Now it will beat up at speed suspension is better on the 450. But Elka shocks have a fix for that ;-)

In the end either Kymco will make you happy. As stated if I bought kymco again I’d get a 2018 base model 700 in the color of your choice! Good Luck!!! And let us know! There’s pics of my red 450 on here some where.

Are the 2017's that different from the 2018's?  Because I still see some good deals on the 2017's.

jew8201

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 03:12:35 PM »
Superrman77- way different. The new seats alone make the 18’ well worth it. Instead of the old “tractor” seats in the 17 An prior the 18’ 700s have a true sport seat in them. They also changed the roll cage up some. And the suspension and shocks are all new. The offer base model which gets you the seats (new seats are standard in all -8’ 700) and I think the suspension is standard across the line too expect maybe on the prime. So there’s base, LE limited edition and LE prime and then the hunter edition. And the color options have changed and over all the plastics look to be a better quality at least the finish on them. They used to look dull now they have a nice shiny “pop” to them. www.kymcousa.com check them out. No way I’d get a 17 over an 18. Just my two cents.

jew8201

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 03:17:31 PM »
Oh I forgot you get curved or “arched” A arms now as well. Helps in the handling and ground clearance.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()