Author Topic: Brake rotor issues  (Read 73 times)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Brake rotor issues
« on: June 09, 2017, 10:12:36 AM »
Noticing the front pads were worn, I replaced them.

I noticed a sort of grinding noise, but I figured they might just need to be worn in. I did keep an eye out for grooves in the rotor.

Eventually I noticed a small groove and decided to take it apart again and make sure there weren't any small rocks and such. There didn't seem to be (but I wiped it down anyways), but I did notice two light grooves in one of the brake pads, one in the same location as the groove on the rotor, and one not.

Inspecting the rotor again, I noticed two corresponding points of raised slivers of metal. Using a combination of prying with a screwdriver and *very* light and careful sanding, I got one of them gone (I think), and the other one mostly gone.

I'm wondering what could have caused this, and if I should still be concerned about this.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: Brake rotor issues
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 01:10:50 PM »
Maybe it was a manufacturing defect in the rotor, or a rock strike or something like that. If the pad caused it, I would think the damage would be all the way around the rotor. If it were me, I would keep a close eye on it and be looking for a good deal on a new OEM rotor. Its just too important a part to be worrying about.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix