Author Topic: Speedometer not working and pulls to right with right font tire wear  (Read 4101 times)

jdub0813

• View Profile
Re: Speedometer not working and pulls to right with right font tire wear
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 04:23:06 PM »
Update - I found a connector that is just hanging near the front.  3 wire connector and according to the wiring diagram I think that could possible be for the speed sensor.  Now I just need to figure out where it is supposed to go and see if that's the problem...

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 10:32:26 PM »
     Just got back from a riding vacation with my 450i and also ran into a speedo problem....long story short....it happened whan I did some hard riding and the heat would build up.  After a short cooldown it started working again.  This happened a couple times during the 3 days but after cooling down it came back on. Only the speedo was affected, all other readings on the dash were ok.  Not sure if this pertains to your machine or not??

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 01:35:02 PM »
That's a strange problem hmm but yeah mine has never worked, hot or cold. 

There is a connector (brown with a line, green, and violet which according to the wiring diagram is the speed sensor) and the connector has a black rubber casing around it.  It is just laying there hanging not connected to anything.  I am thinking this is the problem but I can't find anywhere to connect it or where it should be connected to.  It is a straight 3 prong connector type.

Do you have any clue maybe looking at yours under the hood where I should be connecting it?  Any help I would greatly appreciate it.

As for your riding vacation, that sounds awesome and hope it was fun and everything went well!  I need to go on one shortly.  Just fixing everything up on this as I bought it used and want to make sure everything is good prior to long rides.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 05:39:48 PM »
    When I get a chance to tear into it I will let you know, I do know that when I installed my winch wires there were a number of empty wires not plugged into anything behind the dash. One such wire with a double plug was ignition switch activated and I used it for the winch, but it was connected to nothing and everything worked at that time. I can tell you that a street version of the 450i is available overseas and has all the turn signals etc included for street use so I am assuming some of those loose wires pertain to the other versions of this machine.  As you may have seen the turf model and the generator model for sale over here as well. I am sure just one wiring harness is used so some models use certain wires and others use different wires.

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 05:44:29 PM »
Yeah and I see a few others hanging there and I am guessing like you said it's for other things.  I do have a wench, I wonder if they unplugged the speed sensor for it or accidentally?  The reason I think that's what it is, is only because looking at the wiring diagram the speed sensor is like the only one with 3 wires of green, brown with a line and some purple or gray (marked with a V in the diagram).

If you could just let me know if it's not too much to ask, and it it's somewhat simple for you to do, I would really appreciate it.  This has been bothering me and I don't want to have to take it to a dealer.  I am trying to do all my own work as I do with most of my stuff.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 10:40:47 PM »
    Ok went out and popped the hood and found an oval grey shaped plug with 3 wires including a purple and a green that plugs into another plug attached to a crossmember up and behind the storage box. I have attached a pic if I can get it to load. Only plug I see with 3 wires.

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
I appreciate it thank you, I will have to take a look at mine and see if it's similar or if it's supposed to be.  I am hoping to get this taken care of soon, thank you!

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 03:14:46 PM »
   The plug I was referring to is at the lower left edge of pic. Originally it was centered and showed the colors well but had to resize it so the plug moved to the lower left. Should be an obvious plug to mate right there on that support, and yes I agree it looks like what is showed in the wiring diagram in the manual.

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2017, 03:27:42 PM »
Yeah that could very well be it, wish me luck! Thanks again :)

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2017, 03:38:12 PM »
Do you happen to know if the 3rd color was brown with a line in it?  If so I am 90% sure that's it maybe even 95%.

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 10:10:38 PM »
Nope that wasn't it mine was attached.  The passenger side is where I found mine hanging.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2017, 12:39:47 AM »
    Ok will have to look in there again to see what I can find.

monmendoza

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2017, 06:11:34 PM »
Well I realigned the front end, seemed to help and ordered new tires so should be set there.

As far as the speedometer and odometer not working, well I am still in a pickle.
I checked to see if I could find any loose wires and just looking under the front hood I didn't see anything. I don't have the shop manual yet so don't have much help there.  Can anyone give me some places to look and if it's possibly the sensor, know where I can get one or will I need to go through a dealer?

Thanks!

Open the seat. Near the passenger side In the engine bay, there is a connector that connects to the speedometer, check if it is connected or if its connect and reconnect. I bought mine a demo unit and dealers usually disconnect the odometer , speedometer so that the extra miles won't show up. :)

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2017, 12:23:02 AM »
Open the seat. Near the passenger side In the engine bay, there is a connector that connects to the speedometer, check if it is connected or if its connect and reconnect. I bought mine a demo unit and dealers usually disconnect the odometer , speedometer so that the extra miles won't show up. :)

Well now isn't that kinda sneaky for the crooked dealers !!  Do you have a pic of this connector as I see a couple different connectors in that area. I would like to disconnect/grease/reconnect mine to see if that helps the issue of loosing the speedo when it gets real hot.

jew8201

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2017, 12:10:51 PM »
I love this Forum! I learn so much about my machine reading from you guys post on here! Thankfully I have. It had any of the problems of which you speak of with the speedometer. I really need to get a shop manual to have on hand though. I did have a winch problem though...so for the last couple months the unit was dead when I would go to start it. Having to jump it off every time, finally I was like what the heck is wrong with this thing! Well long story short the main wires coming off the winch were not properly ran and tie wrapped out of the way. Well some how they had gotten wrapped around the front drive shaft so tight that it had ripped the wires into severing the wires and ripped the contractor/silinoid off too as it was laying lose down in there. Those broken wires were killing the battery. New wires and silinoid and everything is good to go now. Boy was I pissed though when I found that mess underneath the machine. Poor dealer work installing the winch caused me time and money. Granite they said they'd take care of it to bring it in. But for the cost of fuel to drive three hours there I just did it myself.

Oh also I put a new battery in it from O'Reilly auto. Super start extreme power sports AGM part #ETX20L   310 cold cranking amps vs the stock 270. Very nice battery. 105 bucks from O'Reilly.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()