Author Topic: Speedometer not working and pulls to right with right font tire wear  (Read 4104 times)

jdub0813

• View Profile
Hello, I am new as I just bought a used 2014 UXV 700i.  Test riding I didn't notice these problems but I am experiencing the following.  If anyone has any insight on things I could look at or try to fix these problems I would really appreciate it.

1.) Speedometer not working.
 - I notice the RPM and everything else works (not sure on miles as I didn't ride it a mile I don't think)

2.) Pulling to the right.
 - The vehicle pulls pretty good to the right and I notice the front right tire is much more worn than the others.  I am not sure if this is causing the pulling or if maybe alignment or something is wrong causing it to pull and wear out the tire quicker.

Like I said any help would be greatly appreciate it.  I am some what handy and willing to figure things out and work on it myself.  So please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Speedometer not working and pulls to right with right font tire wear
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 02:46:39 PM »
   If your going to work on this machine you need to get a service manual for it. Go to "cyclepedia.com" they have online manuals or printed copies. Speedo is probably a loose wire of sensor, check wheel bearing on front wheels. Wrote an article on aligning the front of your machine in these forums with just a straight edge.

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 04:53:33 PM »
Thank you for your response.  I will look for a loose connection, and as far as the shop manual, one is already purchased and hopefully on its way soon.  I always purchase shop manuals for all my vehicles.

I will look for your post regarding the alignment.  Do you think that could be the problem?  I guess couldn't hurt to check especially with uneven wear.  Also going to check tire pressure.  Thank you again!

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 01:00:53 AM »
    While working on it do check everything and I mean everything.....glad to see you bought the manual, it will save you a hundred questions later.  Keep us posted on what you find......

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 04:16:25 AM »
Well I just typed in a paragraph on how to improve alignment probs for a 2 wheeler...  lol
Not called for here.  Oh well.
redk
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 04:20:07 AM by Redk »

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 02:59:11 PM »
Well I just typed in a paragraph on how to improve alignment probs for a 2 wheeler...  lol
Not called for here.  Oh well.
redk

There is NO alignment to be done on a two wheeler!!

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 08:59:53 PM »
There is NO alignment to be done on a two wheeler!!

not much experience with 2 wheelers eh!   wheel alignment is just as important, maybe more important on a mototcycle
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 10:40:53 PM »

not much experience with 2 wheelers eh!   wheel alignment is just as important, maybe more important on a mototcycle

I could see a handle bar alignment but aligning a front and rear tire/wheel???

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 02:26:36 AM »
I could see a handle bar alignment but aligning a front and rear tire/wheel???

rear wheel is most important, with misaligned rear wheel, chain & sprockets will wear and cause chain failure, (on Harleys, belt failure) you can't count on the alignment marks on the swingarm to be a remotely accurate way to align the rear wheel, the straightedge method is the most common way to accurately align the wheel
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 02:59:38 AM »
    I see your point, I stand corrected.  Never thought about motorcycles as this is an offroad forum.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 10:13:53 AM »
    I see your point, I stand corrected.  Never thought about motorcycles as this is an offroad forum.

your limiting your perspective to your perceived uses. I know a lot of people that only ride dirtbikes, and fwiw, my 450i is primarily a street vehicle, so much so that I just ordered street tires (should arrive tomorrow), pavement wears oof road tires unbelievably fast. I plan on buying another set of wheels to mount off road tires, it will be my 3rd set of wheels for my 450i, one set with street tires, one set that I have with Trygg chains mounted over offroad tires (the chains are such a pain to put on, that I don't want to take them off) About 90% of my use is street (of that about 50/50 paved/gravel roads )

RandyO
IBA#9560

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 06:54:45 PM »
Well I realigned the front end, seemed to help and ordered new tires so should be set there.

As far as the speedometer and odometer not working, well I am still in a pickle.
I checked to see if I could find any loose wires and just looking under the front hood I didn't see anything. I don't have the shop manual yet so don't have much help there.  Can anyone give me some places to look and if it's possibly the sensor, know where I can get one or will I need to go through a dealer?

Thanks!

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 01:31:56 AM »
     I have not been able to locate any factory parts without going thru a dealer, however the Kymco parts seem to be reasonably priced when compared to other mfgrs prices.  I just ordered a new skid plate (cut a hole in original for plow mount) and some seat grommets, parts came in in a week. Kymco has an online microfish for parts, you will need the complete part number for the dealer to order, this site also gives you the cost of the parts so you know if your dealer tries to rip you off.

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 02:33:19 AM »
Ohh okay. I'll try and figure out the speedometer when my shop manual comes and I appreciate the info on parts. Hope it all goes well when I'm in need of parts, thanks!

jdub0813

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 04:56:40 PM »
So I am not really seeing anything about where the speed sensor is.  And the wiring diagram has me a bit confused.  Anyone with a little insight to where I should be looking?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()