Author Topic: Brake light mystery SOLVED!  (Read 896 times)

Maybelline2

• View Profile
Brake light mystery SOLVED!
« on: June 08, 2017, 03:50:11 PM »
Hi all,

I reference to issue below, finally figured out the problem: We went back to the bulb. The original bulb was burnt out, so we took it to an automotive supply, and they simply gave us the same one. It seemed to fit, and lit up, however both filaments remained on. We took it out, cleaned it and put it back in. When that didn't work, we went through the other checks just to rule out anything else. It wasn't a complete waste of time, because now my partner and I both know the brake system and wiring better than before! Finally, we got the VOM and checked the posts on the pigtail assembly, and determined all was normal there...so the bulb must therefore be the culprit! I purchased a new, slightly more expensive bulb directly from the local scooter dealer. Voila, it worked! Thanks for all your advice and suggestions. We may have went the long way round, but it was a valuable learning experience!
 ;D
I started a new post for this issue, since this may be ongoing. Hopefully not for too long. So, I bought a used a 2006 Kymco 150 over a week ago. Runs great, little wear and tear. But I discovered that the brake light stays steadily lit when the bike is running (no "blinking" when either or both brakes are depressed). I presented this on the forum when I first introduced myself, and followed the suggestions from posters to change the bulb, check the gap on the brake lines, and have removed the front steering cover and trouble-shot both connectors/switches for the brakes, front and rear. Did not find anything upon testing those connections. Cleaned them up with electronic spray, just in case. No change. The light remains lit, both filaments glowing steadily when applying the brakes. So I essentially have no brake light. I am going to locate the correct downloadable manual, as there is little online info on the problem. I did query the local scooter repairman, who confirmed that the problem was likely a wiring issue. If this is a wiring issue, I'm pretty much done. Any other ideas before I am forced to bite the bullet and pay for service (as it is electrical and $75 an hour labor, I am probably gonna take a major hit)? Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 10:16:28 PM by Maybelline2 »

Redk

• View Profile
Re: Brake light mystery continues...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 04:19:41 PM »
Check those contact points within the bulb mount, and the pigtail attached to it.

I would encourage you to purchase even a cheapo VOM from Harbor Freight and do some testing of that circuit on your own.

Your time spent casually would certainly be better than springing for the shop rate.  IMO

redk

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 07:56:15 PM »
I'd start with a simple test light. https://www.harborfreight.com/circuit-tester-30779.html . Now I'm trying to understand what you have going on.

When the bike is running which filaments are lit up?

And when pulling the brake lever which filaments are lit up?

Even though a 1157 type bulb has staggered pins so it only goes in one way I have seen where it was forced in wrong bending the socket out and jumpering both contacts causing problems.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Maybelline2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 08:00:25 PM »
Thanks, I hadn't pulled the pigtail assembly out yet. I really hope this does the trick! Will get back to you.

Maybelline2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 08:05:00 PM »
In reply about the actual issue:

When the bike is running which filaments are lit up?  BOTH

And when pulling the brake lever which filaments are lit up? BOTH

Even though a 1157 type bulb has staggered pins so it only goes in one way I have seen where it was forced in wrong bending the socket out and jumpering both contacts causing problems.

Yes, we were pretty careful to align them. The problem existed even before we replaced the bulb. Thought the bulb was problem, originally. We will check this area again.

Thanks for link and suggestions!

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 08:10:29 PM »
Either the bulb is in wrong or it sounds like a bad ground in the socket.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 06:55:54 AM »
Sometimes that pigtail assembly will push out from the back...  it might be indexed in the socket...  mis-alignment from a heavy handed mechanic could have spoiled it ??

All that's been suggested here, it could be a simple short circuit somewhere in the wiring which will be easy to spot, yet consume a lot of time.

I just viewed instructions today on how to bias the power tubes for a particular guitar amplifier, presented by a fellow who refused to pay a tech $100 to do the 5 minute job.   ...So tomorrow we'll get out the HF VOM to set $82 worth of Ruski tubes to 35MV dc.
Then a greater part of my life will be spent yelling at the boy to Turn It Down !
redk

MJR

• View Profile
Re: Brake light mystery SOLVED!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 03:28:35 AM »
Hi all,

I reference to issue below, finally figured out the problem: We went back to the bulb. The original bulb was burnt out, so we took it to an automotive supply, and they simply gave us the same one. It seemed to fit, and lit up, however both filaments remained on. We took it out, cleaned it and put it back in. When that didn't work, we went through the other checks just to rule out anything else. It wasn't a complete waste of time, because now my partner and I both know the brake system and wiring better than before! Finally, we got the VOM and checked the posts on the pigtail assembly, and determined all was normal there...so the bulb must therefore be the culprit! I purchased a new, slightly more expensive bulb directly from the local scooter dealer. Voila, it worked! Thanks for all your advice and suggestions. We may have went the long way round, but it was a valuable learning experience!
 ;D

Had a feeling it was something simple and glad you got it sorted. Kind of a weird way to find out editing the original post vs. posting a reply though.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Maybelline2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 04:56:17 PM »
Thanks, and sorry I didn't do standard reply for the post, just wanted to update it to show it was solved. That's how I roll....it's the teacher in me! :)

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 08:26:45 PM »
Glad to hear the problem is now resolved !

Disconcerting that something like a malfunctioning tail light can be the ruin of an otherwise successful trip, but that's just how it is these days...

Any number of 'new' parts may be defective at the time of purchase...  How much time can we spend on inspection before installing ???
redk

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 05:37:24 PM »
Thanks, and sorry I didn't do standard reply for the post, just wanted to update it to show it was solved. That's how I roll....it's the teacher in me! :)
Well, if you'd used your Red Pen when you edited the original composition!
(that's the snarky student in me)
not Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()