Author Topic: My Luck  (Read 1197 times)

Redk

• View Profile
My Luck
« on: June 08, 2017, 12:11:52 AM »
As you know, luck sorta runs different for some people...

How much storage/cargo space do you have on your scooter ?
Mine is not so much...

I discovered this gem when reviewing news a few minutes ago...

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-news/259480381-story

Years back, riding my mc through 'Our Town', a truck/trailer hauling beer bounced through an intersection too quickly for the water drainage swales perpendicular to his direction of travel which were too serious for his speed...
Bam! Bam ! It kinda bounced through the intersection, an unlatched roll-up door, did, and a rather large amount of cases of six packs dumped out in the busy roadway.
The driver stopped quickly to recover, and since this happened immediately before me, I thought I should do my Citizen's duty and assist.
As I hurried to see how many I could hang off my mc he looked over at me... I said, "We can't leave this in the street!"

I dunno if it was worth it.  After a few minutes I left with my booty, soaked and reeking from the spewing cans, now on a mission to find a nearby friend with a fridge !   ...and a hose !!!

Years prior, a friend seemed to have a significant stock of Seagram's 7...
He told a tale of an early AM runaway truck and a bucket loader had been brought in to cart the mess a short distance to some property where it was quickly buried in a shallow pit.
His friend happened to observe the cache from his nearby home and they would occasionally dig into the small mound to salvage what they could.

What entertainment do you see in your scooter travels ?
redk

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: My Luck
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 01:03:59 PM »
Glad I quit drinkin'29 years ago! Well, There WAS that Bud barrel that fell off a truck in Lawrence, KS  circa 1960..... we had plenty before it started to go flat. Spiked with some yeast and bottled it, ya know, with one of those hand-cappers. Several blew up one night, one hot night.....lot of trouble as I recall. Everything in that apartment reeked for months.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 01:13:35 PM »
A couple years ago an independent (ie: leave out the Middle Man/Dealers and sell wares privately by roadside stand) fisherman went over one of Maine's famous pot holes and dumped his load. Could not sell them after due to laws/regulations and encouraged all of us who witnessed to grab what we could/wanted, as it would become an insurance claim for him anyway.

My bike has a 48 liter top case , two full-sized saddle bags with cooler bags inside (waterproof storage) . Holds a lot !

His load.........Fresh Maine lobsters ! Had steamed lobster, lobster rolls, lobster stew, etc. for a long time (freezes well).

"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 03:24:40 PM »
:-)

I would certainly prefer a load of lobster !

lol  I'm not sure I can picture myself battling a bunch of live bugs within an intersection, though !
redk

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 08:07:19 PM »
'Twas a tad amusing to see. Good thing the claws had been banded.  :o ;D
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 07:01:34 AM »
Question:

Did Rod Serling ride a scooter ?
redk

I guess Bobby did...  and Did get the girl !

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:06:18 AM by Redk »

h2ou8n4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 04:48:19 AM »
About 30 years ago I was riding across Europe on a BMW R75 I borrowed from my uncle in London. I was heading to Poland to visit a lady penpal in the town of Opole just across the Czech border. I came to a tiny border crossing station that just had a little guard house and one of those barricade arms that goes up and down to let you through. We were a queue of about 7 vehicles inching forward as the customs guys checked papers. I was just behind a farmer driving what looked like a converted WW2 flatbed stakeside overloaded to the max with potatoes. The farmer's load was creaking and groaning something fearsome and I began to think about the possibility of an avalanche so I moved over left as far as I could. A Polish customs agent blew his whistle and directed me to get back behind the spud wagon. At that moment, the load broke loose and in about 5 seconds my bike and I were shoulder high in taters. I can remember vividly the sound of the Beemer's characteristic ticking idle under that mountain of potatoes. Everyone jumped out of their cars and exhumed me in a short time. The bike sustained a few dings. I rode on thinking no one is gonna believe this one.

To answer MJR and Mr.Paul:
I showed my uncle the damage and he said to my aunt, "Addy, he says he was hit by potatoes."
The visit with my penpal went very well, she couldn't speak English and I couldn't speak Polish but we both spoke German.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 03:53:11 AM by h2ou8n4 »
When you're feeling mighty low
like your better days are past
Just take a ride in your underwear
and you'll feel better fast!

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 10:35:42 PM »
I was wondering what your uncle said when you took it back?
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 11:08:08 PM »
I wonder how the visit went.  :)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 04:16:23 AM »
h2ou,

Excellent when you can survive a potato avalanche !  :-)

..I can hear that bmw ticking under the pile myself !

A Great Tale of Triumph over circumstances beyond our control !
redk

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 11:43:59 AM »
Yeh, that one was coffee out'n da nose!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 04:19:42 PM »
I can only come close to the potato avalanche...

Riding trails on a Hodaka Ace 90 back in high school with another kid on the back we came up out of the riverbed to a leveled field with a mound out near the middle.
Of course it looked like a jump !
At WOT we made it to the middle of a huge pile of rotting cucumbers.
Bits and pieces were everywhere !

Not inundated like H2ou, but the bike didn't fall over...
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()