Author Topic: winter starting issues still  (Read 3362 times)

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: winter starting issues still
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 12:37:02 PM »
Well I eventually got back to my bike - the starting issue(mornings only) prevail. I opened the tank....no difference. had the new battery checked again, all good as per their tests, charge voltage above 14v - the only way my bike starts is jumper cables from my cars 100amp alternator and battery - the car has to rev at around 3000rpm and then the bike fires up almost immediately.

My garage(Kymco dealer) has no answer as when I get it to them the bike starts up first kick - they did overhaul the starter motor a few weeks back...............wanted to add - it still floods if it does not kick the first time - nothing will help....wait ten minutes , try again and then starts first time - I never touch the throttle to flood the engine.............

Fed up............yes!!

Mine doesn't flood and eventually starts on it's own, but every single morning start-up (or after standing still for a while, especially while it's cold outside) it sounds like it will
never start. Turns over slow as the battery is dead, and it's brand new. Also overhauled the starter.

There needs to be a solution for this.
Li-Ion batteries?
Better then stock starters?
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 01:35:54 PM »
Wayne Kreps (wkreps) toyed around with a SECOND battery on his 500i that just powered the ECU at startup to get rid of this awful starting problem. Might wanna give him a call to find out.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 09:42:43 PM »
In my 500,i have a Gel battery, Motobatt, and things really only improved when the stator and the regulator were changed.
But it still sounds like it won't start, starter slowing down, and then it roars into life.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 05:52:23 PM »
jan, I suppose you could set a mechanics drop lite on the floor, with a 100w bulb, under the engine area during winter months.

Pls consider possible fire hazards before doing so...
redk

..I just left some other thoughts in another no start thread...  and someone should see how 'kreps' did with the aux battery thing ???

sissymary

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »
I have a true gel battery, but a lithium is even better. Much more power. Put a battery tender type of charger/maintainer on it. Home depot has them as well as on-line. Charge the battery to full charge before plugging in unit. These units maintain only, they do not charge. :-*

jan.strydom

• View Profile

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()