Author Topic: 3 Old Tricks/Hacks  (Read 833 times)

h2ou8n4

• View Profile
3 Old Tricks/Hacks
« on: June 05, 2017, 11:35:34 PM »
#1  Sometimes motorcycles and scooters don't present enough metal mass at stop lights to trigger the sensors. Look for straight cutlines in the concrete at the intersection and position your bike right over them; these cutlines are where the sensor lines are buried and you'll have a better chance of getting the light to change. If you don't have a kill switch on your sidestand, you can even swing it down right on the cutline.

#2 Once in a while you want to stop somewhere that's not an optimal surface (like really hot asphalt or soft ground) for your sidestand and you could get a tip over if it sinks in. A squashed beer can is ideal for putting under your sidestand foot in this case and they seem to be ubiquitous on the side of the road. Other hacks are jar lids, folded cardboard or a flat rock.

#3 OK, for whatever reason, you may need to get the rear wheel off the ground. Put the side stand down and position yourself on that side of the bike. Turn the bars lock to lock towards you and apply the front brake. Push forward and pull the bike towards you at the same time and you can lever the bike up on the front wheel and side stand with yourself as the 3rd leg of the tripod. Ask your friend to oil the chain, find the nail, rotate to get access to the air valve, remove the obstruction, etc.
When you're feeling mighty low
like your better days are past
Just take a ride in your underwear
and you'll feel better fast!

MJR

• View Profile
Re: 3 Old Tricks/Hacks
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 04:47:46 AM »
#1  Sometimes motorcycles and scooters don't present enough metal mass at stop lights to trigger the sensors. Look for straight cutlines in the concrete at the intersection and position your bike right over them; these cutlines are where the sensor lines are buried and you'll have a better chance of getting the light to change. If you don't have a kill switch on your sidestand, you can even swing it down right on the cutline.

A friend has the same issue with his lifted Jeep and claims some magnets help.
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Redk

• View Profile
Re: 3 Old Tricks/Hacks
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 05:23:47 AM »
I've got better things to do than wait for a light show.
I will stop.
If any reasonable person could see it's clear to proceed, I'm gone.

There's two types of stoplite trigger mechanisms. The magnetic coil, and a spring sensor.
Whatever they run here is triggered by my scooter/motorcycle.

I certainly don't poke a sharp stick at a bear in a cage, don't run loud pipes or race in residential neighborhoods.
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()