Author Topic: Kymco People 50 sat for 4 years.  (Read 1122 times)

Nathan77

• View Profile
Kymco People 50 sat for 4 years.
« on: June 05, 2017, 12:10:48 PM »
So my daughter was born and my 2000 People 50 sat for the past 4 years. Needless to say I didn't do anything to prep it for storage. I just rode it one day and it then it sat. A couple years back I finally drained the old gas out but that was it. I'm looking to get it going and obviously it won't start. I've recharged the battery and put it some new gas.

My plan is to rebuild the carb and I'm also thinking I should replace the fuel lines as I'm guessing they are all gummed up from sitting with the gas for two years. My question is are there any other suggestions on what I should look at? Also does anyone know what size the fuel lines are so I can purchase replacements?

Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

eamartin

• View Profile
Re: Kymco People 50 sat for 4 years.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 12:25:38 PM »
While I am not familiar with this particular model's carb,  I would do as you plan.  Remove and completely dismantle the carb.  I submerge all metal parts in carb cleaner for 24 hours.  Clean and inspect all passages and orifices.  Make sure you can clearly see through the jets.  For passages that have angles, spray carb cleaner or WD40 in one end, making sure the liquid flows out the other end easily.  For replacement fuel lines, just take one of the old ones to the parts store and match it up.  As an extra precaution, I frequently install another small fuel filter in the line immediately ahead of the carb inlet.  You might consider adding a fuel system cleaner to the fresh gas you put in the tank, but be aware that this can loosen any old residue in the tank and send it down to the carb (another reason I add a small fuel filter).  Good luck. 

ScooterLar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 02:10:50 PM »
If the battery has sat uncharged for 4 years, I would replace the battery. I doubt the current battery will hold a charge for very long.

So my daughter was born and my 2000 People 50 sat for the past 4 years. Needless to say I didn't do anything to prep it for storage. I just rode it one day and it then it sat. A couple years back I finally drained the old gas out but that was it. I'm looking to get it going and obviously it won't start. I've recharged the battery and put it some new gas.

My plan is to rebuild the carb and I'm also thinking I should replace the fuel lines as I'm guessing they are all gummed up from sitting with the gas for two years. My question is are there any other suggestions on what I should look at? Also does anyone know what size the fuel lines are so I can purchase replacements?

Any help and suggestions are appreciated.
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 12:30:00 AM »
Rust and scale in the tank could be a problem.

I would only give charging the battery 1 try, then replace.

Drain the tank, change the fuel filter, add a quart of fresh gas and give it a try...  Easy Peasy !  See what happens.
It may not be necessary to rebuild the carb and such.

Flat spots on the tires could be problematic, also. Integrity of the carcass could be affected if they went down and sat that way.

If it sat for 4 years, I'd pull the plug an spray a little wd40 into the hole before turning it over because the cylinder walls can develop a little rust.

Take it easy for a bit and be prepared for O rings and such giving up...
redk

Nathan77

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 02:17:14 PM »
Thanks everyone. I'm having a hard time tracking down parts though. Where can I go to find a new fuel filter to replace the existing? Also, does anyone know the ID of the fuel line?

Nathan77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 05:25:37 PM »
Rust and scale in the tank could be a problem.

I would only give charging the battery 1 try, then replace.

Drain the tank, change the fuel filter, add a quart of fresh gas and give it a try...  Easy Peasy !  See what happens.
It may not be necessary to rebuild the carb and such.

Flat spots on the tires could be problematic, also. Integrity of the carcass could be affected if they went down and sat that way.

If it sat for 4 years, I'd pull the plug an spray a little wd40 into the hole before turning it over because the cylinder walls can develop a little rust.

Take it easy for a bit and be prepared for O rings and such giving up...
redk

Just a final update for anyone else in a similar situation. I did as RedK suggested above. (mostly)

I drained and refilled the fuel tank (plus added some seafood).
Blew out the fuel lines with compressed air and carb cleaner.
Blew out the fuel filter/autocock with compressed air and carb cleaner.
Drained the old 2 stroke oil and added new Amsoil Interceptor.

I definitely had some old gummed up gas in the lines. mostly in the autocock and the line right before. I blew compressed air through the fuel line into the carb with the drain valve open. Nothing flowed at first but after letting some carb cleaner sit in it things opened up and began flowing again.

Once this was all complete it eventually fired up. It smoked like crazy for the first 5 minutes but I've ridden to work now a few times and everything is running well.

Thanks everyone for your advice and if anyone is in a similar situation just keep at it. I'm glad it was as "easy" as it was to get it back on the road.

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 02:51:31 PM »
The 6mm barbed fittings are pretty much standard for most these small engines.

A 5 - pack of them on ebay is pretty cheap !
Quality seems to be OK.  Time will tell that tale.

Oops !
Pressurized air into a vacuum operated petcock could easily blow the membrane in it...
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()