Author Topic: New rider, 2006 People 150  (Read 906 times)

Maybelline2

• View Profile
New rider, 2006 People 150
« on: June 03, 2017, 09:59:14 PM »
Hi All,

I am a new owner of a meticulously kept but used People 150. I have ridden scooters before, but a long time ago, and not for very long, as I did not own one. It is in pretty good shape, but just found that the brake light is malfunctioning (the light just burns steady); seems as though the light should blink when the brakes are applied. Rookie mistake-- I checked most everything, thought I had checked that. Anyway, going through it all now before licensing it. This is Maybelline 2!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: New rider, 2006 People 150
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 11:48:43 PM »
The brake light filament in the bulb is burned out. ...only the running light filament remains? Poor bulb contacts in bulb socket?
Or brake light IS on all the time and the little brake switch is broken/jammed, or just in need of some cleaning spray,  to get it back to opening and closing.. ..activating the brake light properly when pulling the levers....and brake light off when releasing lever.
Just a couple of ideas.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 01:33:39 AM »
Congrats on the People! Great little scooter. What Stig said is correct. Check for brake lights lighting when pulling the right lever and then the left. If it does not light up with either, replace the bulb. (Or inspect and replace it anyway, its cheap and easy)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Maybelline2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 04:30:52 AM »
Yeah, bulb was first thing I checked. Pulled it out and replaced it. The light still burns steadily, with no flashing when either brake is depressed. So next step is to check the connection...will try the cleaner method Stig suggested. That doesn't work, then I guess it's a trip to the local scooter shop! Hope I can solve it on my own. Thanks for the advice!

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 06:14:24 AM »
Nice looking People !
Hope you see many fun miles in your future.

lights...  before inserting a bulb, (2 pin, 2 conductor w/case ground), observe the condition and orientation of the contacts at the base of the socket. Are the contacts in good condition and not gauled from repeated installations? When you insert the new bulb, then twist it the few degrees to lock it in position, would you guess the contacts are aligning properly?

Sometimes, there is a phenolic type material holding the contacts, springs, and a 2 wire pigtail, and perhaps an additional ground wire to be fastened to the outer shell of the light receptacle.
IF a tab on the plastic of the contact holder has broken, connections will not align properly, causing the situation you describe.
Other times I have seen the pigtail twisted and bare, energizing both filaments at the same time.

Hope that might be of assistance...
redk

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 01:12:44 AM »
Congrats on the beautiful People! Nice windscreen, and love that color, too.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 01:11:48 PM »
Nice scooter. Be cool to see a pic of you with your scoot.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()