Author Topic: 2015 Super 8 50cc - Red Wire in Battery Box Clipped?  (Read 1050 times)

dwbaily

• Don
    • View Profile
2015 Super 8 50cc - Red Wire in Battery Box Clipped?
« on: June 03, 2017, 05:06:30 PM »
Hey guys, quick question.  I noticed in the battery box where that black brick looking thing is with a connector attached to it, that is has the red wire with light purple stripe clipped.  Can't see what it was part of unless its just a loop right back into the brick.  Can anybody shed some light on what that red wire is and why it might be clipped? Got this from somebody second hand so not sure if they would have clipped it to help unrestrict it or what.  Thanks for any insight.  :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:13:44 PM by dwbaily »
2015 KYMCO Super 8 50R (KG10A)
6.5g rollers
Smooth Variator Boss
1000rpm Contra Spring

AylmerFreerider

• View Profile
Re: 2015 Super 8 50cc - Red Wire in Battery Box Clipped?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 12:01:52 PM »
This is one of the methods of derestricting.  It allows your school to rev a little higher (more speed)
2015 Super 8 50R
72cc BBK
Polini Hi-Speed with stock boss and 6.5gr rollers
Naruko 1000RPM White Spring
Technigas Silent Pro Exhaust
3 x 1" Air Filter additions to Air Box

Tseg

• View Profile
Re: 2015 Super 8 50cc - Red Wire in Battery Box Clipped?
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 12:10:12 PM »
Yup, clipping/pulling the red/purple wire allows the RPMs to go higher.  It does loop back to the brick.  My 2015 Super 8 which was maxed at 28 mph can now go 33 mph and has hit 35 mph on occasion on long stretches with the red/purple wire pulled.  There are no hills where I live, so unaided (maybe wind-aided?).  There is a lot of Internet myth out there but the best I can tell, with the restriction the Kymco CDI maxes RPMs at ~ 7500.  Depending what you read and believe, with it clipped their is either no restriction, which has risk of blowing up the engine, particularly if traveling down a long steep hill or revving it to the max on the center stand... or I've read with it clipped the OEM Kymco CDI then reverts to a default 9000 RPM max.  Specific to Kymco, there are really no threads out there that once the CDI is derestricted that the engine then blew up at some point.  I came across 1 Kymco thread from a decade ago where a guy knew a guy with a Kymco  whose engine blew up when derestricted and of course there were warranty issues.  In that thread it was mentioned there was speculation the engine had a defect from the plant.  Knowing a ton of Kymco owners have cut that wire and the Internet is devoid of posts about ruined Kymcos, I'm thinking the risk is limited.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:13:04 PM by Tseg »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()