Author Topic: 300i with trike kit...  (Read 1436 times)

ronnie421

• View Profile
300i with trike kit...
« on: June 01, 2017, 10:48:15 PM »
I have a problem and hoping someone with 300 experience can help. First of all, I love touring. Cross country. I am an ex-cyclist. But one day during a training ride, I had an accident and ended up with a spinal cord injury. So, long distance cycling went out the window. I can't even get my leg over the top of my Cannondale bike anymore. My legs will no longer power my bike. But I still love to travel and have decided to look into purchasing a scooter. I originally looked into purchasing a Burgman 400 or 650. Here is the catch... the Burg still has a hump in the middle that I have trouble getting my leg over. So, I'm starting to think that maybe a scooter with a TRUE step-thru frame is more suitable for my condition. The second problem is that since my legs are so weak and holding up ANY kind of scooter at a red light, stop sign, etc,is extremely difficult, so I am forced to add a trike conversion kit to whatever my next purchase may be.  My question is... Is it possible for a 300i to carry me across country, (maybe more than once) with the added weight of a conversion kit? With myself, the trike kit, my gear, and maybe even a passenger be too much for the 300 to tour the country? Or is it too much for the scooter? I wish someone made a scooter with AT LEAST 400cc's and a TRUE step-thru frame. I want to make sure that my bike does not work so hard when going thru mountain passes with all that weight. But the 300i is the most powerful I can find without having to purchase a bike with a huge hump in the middle. Any advice? So you know where my mind is set... I do not have the need for speed. I love backroads, country side roads, I avoid highways (and their 70mph speeds) as much as possible. I am happy covering 100 miles a day and love to stop at every mom-and-pop store I come across. So, I don't plan on stressing out my scooter. Any trikers out there? Hope to hear from you. 

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: 300i with trike kit...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:12:33 AM »
Wife had a problem holding up a People GT300i, so we got her a Tow pac trike kit. Work well and lasts a long time. Do a search using "tow pac" and then tell them you want one for the People GTi300. We have been on trips with her carrying 40 pounds of dogs and pulling a 300 pound trailer through east Tennessee.

Karl
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 12:15:55 AM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 01:14:47 AM »
Welcome to the forum Ronnie! I am a former road cyclist and a couple of years ago a part of my normal Wednesday evening group got hit by a driver in a pickup truck. (I wasn't there that evening) I sold my road bike. I love scootering, it has the freedom and sensation of cycling but without the heavy breathing and having someone elses sweat stinging my eyes. :-[ Karl has a great suggestion but no matter what, get out there and ride. Stay in touch and let us know how you're getting along sir.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

ronnie421

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 08:01:48 PM »
@Crossbolt... Thank you for the information. I will definately look into the tow pac and see if it is something that I can use to stabilize my scooter.

@Mr. Paul... I hope all the members of your team came out OK. And I do plan to get back out there as soon as I can. I surely do miss cycling, though. I even thought of purchasing a 50cc Honda Ruckus and touring that way. It's nice and slow and since I'm used to backroads, I would treat my Ruckus just like a bike. But a friend of mine said that going that way would be dangerous, so I pretty much dismissed the idea of a Ruckus.   

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »
Yeah, Ron, you need something that either keeps up with traffic or leads it! That usually starts around 150 cc's.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 08:18:01 PM »
One of the guys didn't survive Ronnie. I loved road cycling but the incident knocked the wind out of my enthusiasm to say the least. Scooter riding is much safer, providing the safety guidelines are followed. I did keep my mountain bike though. Now if I would just get out and ride it.  ::)
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

scrollderf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 03:22:35 AM »
You might want to consider a Piaggio MP3. This is a three wheel 400cc or 500cc scooter (cvt). They have the ability to lock the suspension when stopped at a light or stop sign. For access, you may be able to step on the "running board" and swing the leg a bit to get it over the hump. Enough power for touring. They lean when cornering so you will be comfortable with the bike or mc feel. Vespa and Piaggio dealers sell them. They are not common and have had some problems, especially with parts availability and expensive service. But these may not be of over riding concern with your disability. There are some on Craigslist or Cycletrader. Check their web site for specs and if they may be of interest. Adding a rear axle adds much weight, so small scooter conversions may be too under powered for touring. I have seen some Burgman 650's that have been converted professionally and they look really good for touring. Do a lot of searching of various forums and take your time to make a good informed decision. Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 03:25:29 AM by scrollderf »
Formerly 03 AA500 now DT300

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 02:47:06 PM »
Yeah, Ron, you need something that either keeps up with traffic or leads it! That usually starts around 150 cc's.

Karl

What Karl said.
and I'd even bump it 50 more cc's for a 200cc minimum.

bicycles?
There are a bunch of different flavors of 'tadpole bikes' out there...
Some even got hybrid assist !
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()