Author Topic: Kymco Xciting 250 Under Powered  (Read 4143 times)

bensteen1995

• View Profile
Kymco Xciting 250 Under Powered
« on: May 31, 2017, 04:33:26 AM »
I recently purchased a second-hand Kymco Xciting 250cc. It runs very well and I am very happy with it. I have read online that it has a top speed of 80 MPH or so. I have found that I am only able to get up to 60 MPH before topping out. And that's with no wind or anything. And no, I don't weigh 300 pounds so that's not it. I was wondering why my scooter is performing so far under the benchmark? One thing that I was thinking is maybe because of the speedometer issue. The speedometer is way off. If it shows that I am going 45 MPH I am actually only going about 35 MPH. I have found that if I just look at the kilometers per hour and divide it in half, that is my actual speed in mph. Seems to work for all speeds. But when I go full throttle on the freeway, the speedometer reads that I am going 80 but in reality, I am only going around 60. So my question is, do you think that there is a governor, or speed limiter, in the scooter that limits speed when it gets going around 80 MPH? (Even though the GPS shows that I am actually only going 60). The scooter thinks its going 80 so is there some sort of restrictor that limits the scooter from going faster? Let me now if any of you have run into similar issues or have any solutions.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Re: Kymco Xciting 250 Under Powered
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 08:31:08 AM »
That's strange. The Xciting is noted for having a fairly accurate speedometer. I read a review stating that it was about 5% off. When I had my 2009 I found that to be true. Having said that, my GPS verified top speed was about 75 or so. (About 78 indicated) . However, I think anything above 65 or so was above redline, so that was usually as fast as I would ride for extended periods. So, if your engine rpm is above redline, then your rollers may be worn or too light. Also, your belt may be worn too thin. I have no idea why your speedometer is so inaccurate. Is your front tire the proper size? If it's too small, that will cause inaccurate readings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

juancuesta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 07:35:44 AM »
If I where you I wouldnt even look at the speedometer, In my bike its about 15km/h off . I know that just before the red line in the revolutions counter, its about 100-105 km/h to be accurate. (Measured with speedometer). A worn belt will have quite a big impact in top speed, changing that and the rollers should increase meaningfully the top speed (about 10 to 15 km/h ,more)

gwdoiron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 01:57:43 AM »
Seconding Forbes1964's experiences, I weigh around 260 lbs, max speed is 75mph GPS verified (speedo reads 85), redline at 65mph GPS.  Something is wrong with the bike if you aren't getting over 60mph.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()