Author Topic: People 150 engine cuts out from high speed  (Read 1442 times)

smurray47

• View Profile
People 150 engine cuts out from high speed
« on: May 27, 2017, 08:10:33 PM »
Hey folks,

I've seen a couple posts about this problem but no resolution. I just bought a used People 150 with about 3k miles, and the previous owner claims to have taken great care of it. It runs like a dream if I keep it below 45. However, after about 4-5 minutes of going 55+ mph, it starts behaving funny. The engine seems to lose power intermittently, like a bad shift would feel. It kind of jerks slower, then keeps going. The first time I had no idea what was going on, so I kept the throttle engaged, and it kept happening until it stalled. Since then, I've just eased off the throttle to 45-50 mph, and it seems to do better.

I've tested it without the gas cap on, but it still happens, so that eliminates some potential causes. I'm also relatively light (145 lbs), so I don't think the scooter should have a problem doing 60 mph with me on it.

Any ideas what could be going on? Dirty carb? Could this be a sparkplug issue?

Thanks!

Sean

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: People 150 engine cuts out from high speed
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 10:26:42 PM »
Hey Sean. Congrats on getting the People! Its a great scooter. It would only help if you would clean the carb, check the air filter, and change the spark plug. If you could, see if the original owner had the valves adjusted after break-in. I suspect the carb jets are dirty but I am having a similar issue with my Helix so I am interested to see what others recommend.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

smurray47

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 03:49:17 AM »
Pulled out the air filter today and while it was dirty, it wasn't so dirty that I think its the source of the problem. No dealers around town carried kymco parts, so I have to wait for Monday for amazon's 2 day shipping to get the new one.

Btw, whats the deal with the frame setup that requires taking off the entire frame panel to get the air filter out? That could have been better designed, no? I guess maybe if I had a tiny screwdriver I could have gotten the filter casing off without removing the panel, but its kind of a pain.

wentwest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 06:38:12 PM »
I like to know if you fixed this problem, and how you did it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()